Election will be referendum on Bush's policies...change or four more years?

Ramen

Bush and conservatives are delusional if they think this will get them elected:

Bush says election is fight over his policies

Feb 8 12:48 PM US/Eastern

To chants of "four more years," President George W. Bush told some of his staunchest supporters Friday that the November elections are a referendum on his policies from the Iraq war to stem cells.

Without ever naming the front-runner for the Republican White House nomination, Senator John McCain, Bush told conservative activists at an annual conference here that they would soon have a standard-bearer.

"The stakes in November are high," he declared. "Prosperity and peace are in the balance. So with confidence in our vision and faith in our values, let us go forward, fight for victory, and keep the White House in 2008."

Bush, who is constitutionally barred from a third four-year term, has said that he will stay out of the race until the party picks a nominee, then rally his political troops behind the candidate.

McCain increasingly looks to be Republican champion, with just two major rivals -- former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee and Texas Representative Ron Paul -- still in the race and unlikely to overcome his lead in the number of delegates to the party's September nominating convention.

"Soon we'll have a nominee who will carry a conservative banner into this election and beyond," said Bush. "I look forward to working with you this year. My energy is up, my spirit is high, and I will finish strong."

The White House disputed that the president's speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference amounted to an implicit endorsement of McCain, who has drawn fire from the right on issues like his support for a guest worker program, and past opposition to some of Bush's tax cuts.

Bush brushed aside a wave of recent US public opinion polls showing and his policies are deeply unpopular and more than two out of three Americans think the country is on the wrong track.

"Our policies are working. The American people support our points of view. They share our philosophy," he said. "I'm absolutely confident, with your help we will elect a president who shares our principles."

Audience applause frequently interrupted Bush's speech, at least twice people called out "We love you, George," and at one point, the boisterous crowd chanted "four more years!"

The embattled president firmly defended some of his most controversial policies, insisting that the invasion of Iraq was justified, arguing that Afghanistan was on the mend, and predicting that history would vindicate him.

Bush said he was right to order some 30,000 more US troops to Iraq in January 2007 -- a "surge" that has yet to reach its central goal of fostering national political reconciliation and missed a November deadline for putting Iraqis in charge of their own security.

"Our critics had a different view. They looked at rising violence in Iraq and declared the war was lost," he said. "We stood our ground -- and we're seeing results."

"A year after I ordered the surge of forces, high profile terrorist attacks in Iraq are down, civilian deaths are down, sectarian killings are down," said Bush, who linked Iraq to a "war against our enemies" in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

The president also said that Afghanistan, in the grips of a resurgence of the Taliban Islamist militia, "has a long road ahead" but also "a future that offers promise and hope."

Bush also defended his decision to restrict government funding for embryonic stem cell research; called on lawmakers to make his giant tax cuts permanent; and urged them to approve expanded controversial surveillance powers.

Copyright AFP 2007, AFP stories and photos shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium

I was reading a different article on the same speach this morning when I stubled across this gem of a paragraph:

Bush reached his lowest approval rating in The Associated Press-Ipsos poll on Friday as only 30 percent said they like the job he is doing, including an all-time low in his support by Republicans. Still, the crowd gave him standing ovations, cheering his comments on tax relief, the military buildup in Iraq, the Reagan years and his opposition to abortion. They booed when Bush said his critics want to expand the size and scope of the federal government.

I nearly choked on my breakfast when I read that last line. Fearmongering with threats of an expanded federal government if we elect the opposite party - from the man who is responsible for the single largest expansion of federal government in U.S. history. :w00t::hehe:

alfred e. neuman (2/8/2008)
I was reading a different article on the same speach this morning when I stubled across this gem of a paragraph:
Bush reached his lowest approval rating in The Associated Press-Ipsos poll on Friday as only 30 percent said they like the job he is doing, including an all-time low in his support by Republicans. Still, the crowd gave him standing ovations, cheering his comments on tax relief, the military buildup in Iraq, the Reagan years and his opposition to abortion. They booed when Bush said his critics want to expand the size and scope of the federal government.

I nearly choked on my breakfast when I read that last line. Fearmongering with threats of an expanded federal government if we elect the opposite party - from the man who is responsible for the single largest expansion of federal government in U.S. history. :w00t::hehe:

Eh, it's not like the people he was talking to were thinking. Had they been, they probably wouldn't have supported him in the first place.