Jena 6 Victimized AGAIN!

judas yeast

Can't this 19 year old catch a break? He was already an innocent victim of the Jena 6 incident!!!

(CNN) -- A member of the group dubbed the "Jena 6" is facing misdemeanor assault charges after a fight at his Texas high school Wednesday, police said Thursday.

art.purvis.jpg

Bryant Purvis was arrested after a fight Wednesday at his Texas high school, police said.

Bryant Purvis, 19, was arrested after the incident at Hebron High School in Carrollton, Texas. Carrollton police Sgt. John Singleton told CNN the altercation does not appear to be racially motivated.

School officials contacted police about the fight Wednesday morning. An 18-year-old student told authorities two males approached him and asked if he had flattened the tires of "their homeboy's" car, according to an affidavit supporting the arrest warrant.

The student said he didn't, but the two told him they didn't believe him and walked away.

Purvis, he said, approached him from behind immediately afterward, then grabbed him with one hand and began to choke him.

"Purvis continued to choke [the student] and told him, 'Don't you ever mess with my car again,'" the affidavit said. "Purvis then pushed his head into the seating area of the bench," causing the student to strike his left eye, then walked away.

The affidavit said that in a written statement, Purvis wrote, "I walked over to him and grabbed him by his neck, then told him not to mess with my car anymore, then I left."

Don't Miss

* Man faces charges over Jena march nooses

* In Depth: The 'Jena 6'

Police reported the student had marks on his neck and bruising on his eye.

A municipal judge set Purvis' bond at $1,000, and he was transferred to the Denton County Detention Facility, Singleton said.

Purvis is one of six former students in Jena, Louisiana, accused of being involved in the beating of a white student. He initially was charged with second-degree attempted murder and conspiracy, but charges against him were reduced in November to second-degree aggravated battery. He is awaiting trial in that case.

Civil rights leaders Martin Luther King III and Al Sharpton led more than 15,000 marchers to Jena -- a town of about 3,000 -- in September to protest how authorities handled the cases against Purvis and the five others accused in the December 2006 beating of fellow student Justin Barker.

After his arraignment in November, Purvis told reporters he had moved to another town to complete high school. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ucsbdirtybird (2/8/2008)
Statick (2/8/2008)
19 years old and he's still in school getting into fights?

How juvenile can you get? The big dummy needs to grow up.

Well, how juvenile do you need to be to still be in high school at 19?

That's my point.

Hence, the "big dummy" reference.

In light of new evidence, he should be tried for the attempted manslaughter charges. They should have never have lowered the charges against him in the first place. It makes me sick to know how our justice system works. It's so concerned with providing justice for the criminals, it does so at the expense of justice for the innocent. Only $1000 bond?!? Seriously, at that point, the dude has already assaulted 2 people and he's pending trial for both, there should be a policy where the bail/bond goes up 10 fold. I guess you have to wait til this punk kills somebody before they'd be willing to hold him in prison.

just because someone messes with your tires you can't just take the law into own hands especially when you have been told stay out of trouble or else by a judge. he is always going to be a target so he needs to sit his a$$ down and keep out the limelight.

this is his own fault. sorry his tires were flatten, but it could have been handle differently.

I love how people in this thread are assuming the kid actually did let the air out (not slashed the tires, from a yahoo story about this yesterday) his tires. All we have here is a guy with a track record of violence and a kid who was accused, by his attacker, of messing with a car; an accuisation that this kid denies. There is no race baiting here, just the reporting of the facts up to this point. Get over it, this kid is prone to violence, he isn't the victim in either situation that he has found himself in.

I don't think we can assume that. I have no idea why the air was let out of his tires (either by the victim or someone else), nor do I know if the assailant would have reacted differently if it was an African American kid who was the one he suspected of messing with his car. I can't speak to the motivations of either party. What I can speak to is that this is the second incident in an 18 month period where the assailant has resorted to violence in a situation where it was neither legal nor, in my opinion, justified.

Waterproof_ace83 (2/8/2008)
If these kids dont want to go to jail, DONT BEAT PEOPLE UP!!! its that simple!

the only innocent victims in this situation are the 2 kids who got attacked by these scumbags

I don't know if I would call them scumbags. I got into a few fights when I was in high school, I was just never dumb enough to do it at school.

Lets call them idiots, how about that?

ucsbdirtybird (2/8/2008)
Waterproof_ace83 (2/8/2008)
If these kids dont want to go to jail, DONT BEAT PEOPLE UP!!! its that simple!

the only innocent victims in this situation are the 2 kids who got attacked by these scumbags

I don't know if I would call them scumbags. I got into a few fights when I was in high school, I was just never dumb enough to do it at school.

Lets call them idiots, how about that?

we've all been in fights, but i doubt many of us have been involved in 6 on 1 beatdowns.

saint vitus (2/8/2008)
True. Also, are we to assume this as another black/white altercation?

I don't know. The thread originator didn't bother to clarify that when he made his misleading title.

Evidently, judging by his past threads, he likes to keep the racial controversy fires stoked.

Just having a hard time understanding the problem so many folks are having here with this specific issue...I mean, he threatened then assaulted another student. He got arrested. Sure, this wouldn't even be local news, were it not for his involvement in the the other matter...but in the end, this is a schoolyard temper tantrum that's led to one kid getting a bruised eye, and another kid getting arrested.

****, back in my teenage years, we had fights break out regularly, and nobody got arrested...the black kids would kick some white kid's butt, all while rapping and posing. The white kids would kick some black kid's butt, all while spitting tobacco and yelling racial slurs. The hispanic kids would start off kicking someone's butt, but then that would breakdown and become a soccer game, with the original victim suddenly becoming the yellow carding referree. The asian kids would all surround some poor student, but then, instead of kicking his butt, they would intimidate him with calculous and chemistry...;)