Falcons need to find a way to get Alan Faneca

boss hogg

Since the 7 time pro-bowler was drafted in 1998 by the Steelers, the Steelers have averaged the second highest rush yards per game (134.4 yards/gm) in the NFL.

Since 1998:

Broncos: 140.0 yds/gm

Steelers: 134.4 yds/gm

Jaguars: 129.6 yds/gm

Falcons: 126.7 yds/gm

Vikings: 125.5 yds/gm

In 2006, the Seahawks signed 3-time pro-bowl guard Steve Hutchinson to a 7-year, $49 million contract. Faneca is a 31 year old, 10 year vet who might look for a 5-6 year deal somewhere paying $7-8 milllion per year. Expensive but I hope we can find a way to make this happen. It would certainly improve the run blocking. As we all know, he worked with coach Mularkey from 1998-2003 in Pittsburgh (Mularkey was o-coordinator 2001-2003).

I would love to get an OL of Faneca's caliber also. However, I think this endeavor is going to be a challenge to say the least. Presenting the challenge would be first of all be Seattle. They lost pro bowler Steve Hutchinson to the Vikings, and Holmgren made no bones about unhappy he was about this. Faneca would be a prize signing by the Hawks and they are a probable playoff team, something I would think Faneca would be looking for.

Another possibility contender for Faneca's services would be AZ. This would reunite him with Russ Grimm and would certainly bolster their OL situation and give Warner/Linert much needed protection to get the ball to those talented receivers.

I would see Faneca being very attracted to both Seattle and AZ, who I would think would go after him strongly. I just don't know if Faneca would be interested in being involved in our rebuilding project which will probably take a couple of years. I don't know Faneca's primary reason for wanting out of Pitt--if it is money or going to a possible SB contender..Seattle would be the front runner to provide both. Just my opinion. I hope I am wrong and he does land here.

spiker (2/8/2008)
Overpaying for a 31 yr old guard is crazy. We now have 5 old vets in the same age group that are about to get cut!!!!

Thank the football gods that the new GM is much smarter than the fanbase................

You don't know you overpaid until the player doesn't perform! Faneca has been to the last 7 STRAIGHT PRO BOWLS! Don't even try to compare him to Wayne Grady and Kynan Forney my friend (they should definitely be cut). If you happen to be referring to Keith Brooking or Warrick Dunn, 31-32 year old LBs and RBs are a lot different from 31-32 year old offensive linemen.

Bruce Matthews, one of the greatest offensive linemen in history, played in the NFL for 18 years. He went to 14 STRAIGHT PRO BOWLS! When he was 31 years old, he had only made his 5th pro bowl. If you do the math my friend, that's 9 more pro bowls after the age of 31.

spiker (2/8/2008)
Overpaying for a 31 yr old guard is crazy. We now have 5 old vets in the same age group that are about to get cut!!!!

Thank the football gods that the new GM is much smarter than the fanbase................

BINGO! Folks we have a winner! A Falcons fan with a brain! Why would we sign an

over the hill guard and pay him a ton of money?:rolleyes:

boss hogg (2/8/2008)
spiker (2/8/2008)

You don't know you overpaid until the player doesn't perform! Faneca has been to the last 7 STRAIGHT PRO BOWLS! Don't even try to compare him to Wayne Grady and Kynan Forney my friend (they should definitely be cut). If you happen to be referring to Keith Brooking or Warrick Dunn, 31-32 year old LBs and RBs are a lot different from 31-32 year old offensive linemen.

Bruce Matthews, one of the greatest offensive linemen in history, played in the NFL for 18 years. He went to 14 STRAIGHT PRO BOWLS! When he was 31 years old, he had only made his 5th pro bowl. If you do the math my friend, that's 9 more pro bowls after the age of 31.

boss hogg (2/8/2008)
spiker (2/8/2008)

Comparing Faneca to Matthews is comical.

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest.

Plus the New GM and Coach have stated that they will not pursue high priced free agents.

There is new sheriff in town,my friend,the Mckay era is over!!!

bigduke633 (2/8/2008)
I was about to say dont compare signing people to hall of famers.Hall of famers are the exception not the rule.

Ok...for all of you who didn't like the Bruce Matthews example, how about 11 time Pro Bowler Larry Allen? I guess he's an exception to "the rule" too, huh?

Larry Allen at age 34 was a cap casualty of the Cowboys and signed with the 49ers in 2006. And what do you know...Frank Gore had a monster year! He had 1695 yards rushing. And what do you knw...Larry Allen made the Pro Bowl again!

Steve Hutchinson signs with the Vikings and what do you know...chester taylor has 1216 yards rushing! Adrian Peterson had 1341 yards this year.

Give me a break...don't hand me this crap about Faneca is too old.