Could the Falcons really have 30 mil for FA & draft

cshot4

Falcons | Team projects to have $23 million for free agency

Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:28:23 -0800

Steve Wyche, of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said the team expects to have at least $23 million to spend in free agency. The Falcons could gain $7 to $8 million, with the salary-cap expected to increase from $109 million to $116-$117 million.

Cap Room:

$7.0 million - from cap increase

$7.5 million - relief from MV's "base" salary in 2008

$2.8 million - cutting Warrick Dunn (this will happen)

$2.0 million - offer Brooking straight $2mil. salary cut-he won't get more money on mkt!

$1.5 million - paycut offer to Rod Coleman

$1.5 million - paycut offer to Alge Crumpler

- cut Wayne Gandy (no real cap savings)

$22.3 million - under the salary cap

Of course, with all of our draft picks to sign we need about $8 million in cap room there. To re-sign Michael Boley we probably need another $3 million in cap room. That would leave about $11 million to use to sign free agents.

I think $11 million would be enough to sign one premier free agent offensive tackle(Jordan Gross or Max Starks) and then maybe a couple of 2nd tier free agents. I would try hard not to use the whole salary cap - as a matter of fiscal discipline - no team really ever gets "well" in free agency - its just a supplement.

Of course all of figures above on the paycuts are my opinion - the salary cap increase, MV figure and Warrick Dunn figure on salary cap savings were taken straight out of AJC article/Wyche.......

I think this is about right - what say you?

I think all of this talk about us having around 23 million sounds better than it actually is...

Every team in the league will also be getting that same extra 7 million with the cap increase - and there will be a lot of teams with around 20 million or so cap space to throw around.

In the end, I really don't think we will be all that better off than in previous years. All the extra money, for the falcons and the other 31 teams, probably just means more money for mediocre players.

rmyarring (2/8/2008)
I think all of this talk about us having around 23 million sounds better than it actually is...

Every team in the league will also be getting that same extra 7 million with the cap increase - and there will be a lot of teams with around 20 million or so cap space to throw around.

In the end, I really don't think we will be all that better off than in previous years. All the extra money, for the falcons and the other 31 teams, probably just means more money for mediocre players.

I agree with this stmt. and Falcons "started" with less cap room than 25 other teams - so, I don't think Falcons have any advantage there. Plus, free agents always are overpaid and their salaries usually end up being burdens 2-3 years down the line.

As i said, don't spend all the money, Arthur!!!

formul8or (2/8/2008)
Trying to renegotiate Crumpler would make him want to leave. Another team would pay him at least what he gets now. If his knees hold up he is one of the best in the league between blocking and catching.

Then by God, there's the door Crump.......Crump tailed off 2 years ago and was a malcontent this year. Yes, Petrino was an arss but Crump showed no leadership and was MIA for most of the year.

Crump had 2nd highest cap charge for Tight End in the NFL and there are probably at least 7-8 Tight Ends better than Crump these days.....

I could live with letting Crump Go if he would not take salary cut. He won't get more money in the open market than he would with Falcons(even w/ salary cut). Trade the MoFo

Cap Room:

$7.0 million - from cap increase

$7.5 million - relief from MV's "base" salary in 2008

$2.8 million - cutting Warrick Dunn (this will happen)

$2.0 million - offer Brooking straight $2mil. salary cut-he won't get more money on mkt!

$1.5 million - paycut offer to Rod Coleman

$1.5 million - paycut offer to Alge Crumpler

- cut Wayne Gandy (no real cap savings)

$22.3 million - under the salary cap

Of course, with all of our draft picks to sign we need about $8 million in cap room there. To re-sign Michael Boley we probably need another $3 million in cap room. That would leave about $11 million to use to sign free agents.

I thought there was a bigger cap hit if Dunn was cut than there was to keep him or was that someone else?

The fly in your ointment is what happens if Brooking, Coleman, Crumpler refuse to take cuts?

Do you cut them, what is the cap hit there? What is the cost of obtaining replacements for them? They need cap space to fill positions of need not to replace some of the better players.

My guess is that with the salary cap increase plus MVs 2008 base salary (which we save IF he remains under suspension) would give us about 12 million before we start cutting and/or re-negotiating. Getting to 22 million would take about 10 million in cuts and/or re-negotiations. Cutting Gandy and Leftwich would get about half of that.

cshot4 (2/8/2008)
Falcons | Team projects to have $23 million for free agency

Thu, 7 Feb 2008 12:28:23 -0800

Steve Wyche, of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said the team expects to have at least $23 million to spend in free agency. The Falcons could gain $7 to $8 million, with the salary-cap expected to increase from $109 million to $116-$117 million.