now that spags pulled out of the redskins HC running....

dan minnich

i know many thought we jumped the gun on hiring smith but now that spags has decided to stay put do you still believe the falcons jumped the gun???

also that makes 2 coaches, mora and spags who decided not to take the redskins job, do you think that makes them a worse coaching spot in the nfl??? maybe its because the redskins are over the cap by 20 million dollars.

dan minnich (2/7/2008)
i know many thought we jumped the gun on hiring smith but now that spags has decided to stay put do you still believe the falcons jumped the gun???

also that makes 2 coaches, mora and spags who decided not to take the redskins job, do you think that makes them a worse coaching spot in the nfl??? maybe its because the redskins are over the cap by 20 million dollars.

Our GM made a good move. Not waiting. Waiting seems to hurt this organization. As for the Redskins, I don't have a clue whats going on up there.;)

REV.2000 (2/7/2008)
dan minnich (2/7/2008)

Our GM made a good move. Not waiting. Waiting seems to hurt this organization. As for the Redskins, I don't have a clue whats going on up there.;)

Made the move that we didn't.

One thing's for certain: the Redskins management are looking rather foolish on Thursday, February 7, 2008. As much trials and tribulations the Atlanta Falcons have endured in the last season, there are two teams that I am so grateful I am not season ticket holders of: the Oakland Raiders and the Washington Redskins. I so very much prefer Arthur Blank over Al Davis or Dan Snyder.

dan minnich (2/7/2008)

Yes. I believe Spags didn't want to coach against players he had grown to love. Atlanta wouldn't have had that issue. Right now, only the biggest homers would argue that a DC who just won a Super Bowl is an inferior solution to the guy we hired. I'm first in line with the support of Coach Smith moving forward, but we could have just as easily hired him today as we could have two weeks ago. The argument against waiting was the coaching staff, but Gregg Williams and Spags' buddy Kevin Gilbride both would have been available if Mularkey and VanGorder (ha!) had not.

Like hiring a college guy last year, I'm always going to lament this turn of events. Spags strikes me as a truly special coach. Smith strikes me as a solid football lifer. I would prefer the former, but as a lifelong Falcons fan, it's not like I'm not used to this sort of twist. At least with Smith, I am certain he is here for as long as he gets the job done. We could be in a worse situation. But Smith feels like we settled. That's never going to change for me.

I never had any doubt that he wouldn't be available for us had we waited.

Dimitroff made the absolute right choice in this situation. We have a great coach in Mike Smith and our team from the top down, for once, is on the same page. Now we just need to move forward with the draft and roster changes heading into camp for next season.

jidady (2/7/2008)
Like hiring a college guy last year, I'm always going to lament this turn of events. Spags strikes me as a truly special coach. Smith strikes me as a solid football lifer. I would prefer the former, but as a lifelong Falcons fan, it's not like I'm not used to this sort of twist. At least with Smith, I am certain he is here for as long as he gets the job done. We could be in a worse situation. But Smith feels like we settled. That's never going to change for me.

The problem with your rationale is that it assumes (falsely, I think) that Spagnuolo was going to be available to the Falcons. Dimitroff knows Spagnuolo. He can't tamper by contacting him directly beforehand, but if you don't think some backchannel information was passed in the form of "I'd be interested" or "I won't be leaving the Giants," you're kidding yourself.

I was convinced when we hired Smith that Dimitroff knew Spags wasn't coming here. The fact that he is returning to New York solidifies that for me. So complaining that we "settled" is a lot like saying we "settled" because we didn't hire Bill Parcells around 20 years ago. Maybe we "settled," but it's only because the guy we wanted wasn't interested.

And that ain't "settling" in my book. It's hiring the best available coach. That's what we did, and I'm glad for it.

REV.2000 (2/7/2008)
dan minnich (2/7/2008)

Good call by TD. As for the 'skins, I think its between Jim Fossil or Steve Mariucci(sp?)

OUCH !!! Good luck finding any high quaility assistants!

Dan minnich (2/7/2008)

also that makes 2 coaches, Mora and spags who decided not to take the redskins job, do you think that makes them a worse coaching spot in the NFL??? maybe its because the redskins are over the cap by 20 million dollars.

I think a big part of the problem is that the Redskin owner has hired assistant coaches and coordinators. Most coaches wanting to be a head coach want to hire their own coaches; but, Synder wants to run everything.

JDaveG (2/8/2008)

I was convinced when we hired Smith that Dimitroff knew Spags wasn't coming here. The fact that he is returning to New York solidifies that for me.

And I again counter with the fact that him not wanting to coach within the division against his old team is the primary reason he returned to NY. There is no way for either of us to ever be proven right or wrong on the subject, but I reiterate that we would have been out absolutely nothing had we waited the two weeks. In point of fact, there were better choices available for DC at that point than what we we got stuck with.

This team clearly identified Spags as the head coach we liked the best. We waited and waited and waited for him then panicked and settled. I hope to God it works out for the best, but there is simply no disputing the fact that the Falcons were interested in Spags. We held our ground waiting for him to get eliminated from the playoffs since we screwed up in not interviewing him sooner. When he made it to the Super Bowl, we were faced with two options: wait or hire a secondary candidate. You are fine with the way we handled it. I lament our decision. I firmly believe Spags would have strongly considered us, the team that wanted him earlier than everyone else, much more than he did the cap-strapped, owner-meddling Skins. You say you believe we were told he wasn't interested through back channels. I say I believe he firmly stated he had his mind on winning a big game and didn't want to consider anything else until that was over. We should have waited, but we're the Falcons so we didn't.

jidady (2/8/2008)
In point of fact, there were better choices available for DC at that point than what we we got stuck with.

How are so sure that BVG is not going to be what Spags was this year for the Giants? I mean, Spags was only a LB coach for the Eagles before he took the Giants job. This is BVG's first coordinator position in the NFL and from what I heard he wasn't a bad DC at UGA. Give him time. We may have a diamond in the rough with our selection. Are you happy about anything that the FO has done this offseason? Just wondering.

Answering the last question first, I am thrilled with our choice of OC and D-line coach. I also love the promotion of Emmit Thomas to Assistant Head Coach. It's okay to like some moves and not others, you know.

As for the first question, any time a coach says themselves that they are a better fit for a lower level, seeing them promoted at a higher level is an exercise in madness. Honestly, I know that there is a bomb shelter mentality about the Falcons at the moment, but Van Gorder is a guy I simply cannot comprehend people supporting. He couldn't run away from here fast enough. So, we...promoted him.