Giants keep Spagnuolo, make him NFL's highest-paid D-coordinator

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: February 7, 2008, 12:09 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who interviewed for the Redskins' head coaching job the past three days, has decided to stay in New York.

Spagnuolo was not offered the Redskins job but his agent Bob Lamont said "it didn't matter because his heart is in New York City."

"The Redskins were great ... it was a great interview," Lamont said.

The Giants are also giving Spagnuolo a new three-year contract in excess of $2 million per year, which would make him the league's highest-paid defensive coordinator.

With Spagnuolo out of the running, former Giants head coach Jim Fassel emerges as the leading candidate to get the Redskins job.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Big Reg Da Commish (2/7/2008)
And this is what the Falcons was afraid of. That they would wait for him and he still would stay with the Giants or go somewhere else.

He probably doesn't think he was ready to be a head coach. Much like Garrett, they had only been coordinators for one year.

apparently this new "assistant coach to be the head-coach-in-waiting" is all the rage.

Indy-Jim Caldwell is the heir apparent-already promised

Seattle-Jim Mora is the heir apparent-already promised

I am sure one more good year out of Spagnuolo and they will probably promise him the head job as well....

I wanted Spags too....he will be a good head coach and he's a **** good D-Coordinator. However, it was not meant to be.....

The second we signed Mike Smith I was pleased though and thought it to be the right move. Time will tell.

In the meantime, let's all support the new Falcons coach and GM

paul_k (2/7/2008)
So many are saying, "See, we wouldn't have gotten him either." But keep in mind Spags might have just been turned off by the fact that the Redskins had already hired their coordinators before hiring a HC.

Who cares?

I just want to stop talking about the guy like he's some kinda DC god.

g-dawg (2/7/2008)
Giants keep Spagnuolo, make him NFL's highest-paid D-coordinator

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: February 7, 2008, 12:09 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who interviewed for the Redskins' head coaching job the past three days, has decided to stay in New York.

Spagnuolo was not offered the Redskins job but his agent Bob Lamont said "it didn't matter because his heart is in New York City."

"The Redskins were great ... it was a great interview," Lamont said.

The Giants are also giving Spagnuolo a new three-year contract in excess of $2 million per year, which would make him the league's highest-paid defensive coordinator.

With Spagnuolo out of the running, former Giants head coach Jim Fassel emerges as the leading candidate to get the Redskins job.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

OK............let's move on with our quality, solid, loyal, hardworking coach.............with little or no ego.............HOW REFRESHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach Mike Smith.

exactly.

that is why we are fans and not in management.

we were all over this board saying it was a bad hire and why not wait another week or two for a chance to interview sprags. I think we made a great hire. A guy who is a defensive mind but on top of that has a great eye for talent. exactly what we need since we are going to rebuild this defense over the next few years.

Spags seems like a good coach but come on, he has been the coordinator for ONE YEAR on a team full of defensive talent. He was more of a motivator than the "architect" he has been made out to be.

TD had a personal relationship with Spags, I'm sure TD talked to Spags unofficially and knew that Spags was not coming to Atlanta. So he moved on with the Coach Smith hiring.