Bonnaroo 2008 line up is out

TerminusTiercel

Looks sweet, Ill certainly be there again this year. I hope Metallica doesnt play anything they've done within the last decade though. Still, Pearl Jam, Kanye, Lupe, Mastodon, what a great festival!

Pearl Jam

Metallica

Jack Johnson

Kanye West

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

Phil Lesh & Friends

My Morning Jacket

The Allman Brothers Band

The Raconteurs

Willie Nelson

Death Cab for Cutie

B.B. King

Sigur Ros

Levon Helm and the Ramble on the Road

Ben Folds

O.A.R.

The Bluegrass Allstars Feat. Luke Bulla, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer and Bryan Sutton

M.I.A.

Umphrey's McGee

Iron & Wine

Yonder Mountain String Band

Swell Season

Talib Kweli

Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi's Soul Stew Revival

Gogol Bordello

Broken Social Scene

Robert Randolph's Revival

Rilo Kiley

Mastodon

Lupe Fiasco

Against Me!

Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings

Pat Green

Ozomatli

Tegan & Sara

Solomon Burke

Drive-By Truckers

!!!

The Avett Brothers

Israel Vibration

Abigail Washburn & the Sparrow Quartet featuring Bela Fleck

Phil Lesh / Larry Campbell / Jackie Greene

Aimee Mann

Ladytron

The Fiery Furnaces

Orchestra Baobab

Ghostland Observatory

Jose Gonzalez

Dark Star Orchestra

Minus the Bear

Donavon Frankenreiter

Lez Zeppelin

State Radio

Battles

Jakob Dylan

Two Gallants

The Sword

Vampire Weekend

Little Feat

Nicole Atkins

The Felice Brothers

Mason Jennings

MGMT

The Lee Boys

Black Kids

Serena Ryder

Steel Train

Grupo Fantasma

Back Door Slam

Steve_Bartkowski (2/7/2008)
Metallica? Pearl Jam? This thing is getting very commercialized. It's turning into Woodstock 94...

Yea im not to keen on Metallica being there, but whatever. Im waaaayyy excited about Pearl Jam, but other than Kanye, theres not really any big commercial names in that line up.

Sigor Ros is another band Im super duper stoked about seeing.

Man, ya'll are crazy. Outside of the "big" names, there are a ton of good acts playing. I would want to see all of the bands below.

TerminusTiercel (2/7/2008)

My Morning Jacket

The Raconteurs

Willie Nelson

Death Cab for Cutie

B.B. King

Sigur Ros

The Bluegrass Allstars Feat. Luke Bulla, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Bela Fleck, Edgar Meyer and Bryan Sutton

M.I.A.

Iron & Wine

Yonder Mountain String Band

Talib Kweli

Derek Trucks & Susan Tedeschi's Soul Stew Revival

Gogol Bordello

Broken Social Scene

Robert Randolph's Revival

Rilo Kiley

Mastodon

Lupe Fiasco

Against Me!

Drive-By Truckers

Israel Vibration

The Fiery Furnaces

Dark Star Orchestra

Battles

Little Feat

MGMT

Oh man I just noticed Battles was on the lineup, thats awesome! I know Bonnaroo has gotten a bit away from their hippy roots, but anyone who says this isnt the best concert festival in America a) has never been, B) doesnt know who half these bands are.

They did move away a bit from the hippy stuff, but they still have plenty of that fare too. I really like that it's become more diversified.

The Coachella lineup is pretty sick too.

Fanboy3000 (2/7/2008)
Oh man I just noticed Battles was on the lineup, thats awesome! I know Bonnaroo has gotten a bit away from their hippy roots, but anyone who says this isnt the best concert festival in America a) has never been, B) doesnt know who half these bands are.

They did move away a bit from the hippy stuff, but they still have plenty of that fare too. I really like that it's become more diversified.

Oh yea, Id love to go to Coachella, but I can never afford it. Have you heard the rumors of an east coast Coachella?

Fanboy3000 (2/7/2008)

It's become more commercial. When the Allman Brothers and BB King aren't headliners, but Metallica, Police, and Tool are, then something is wrong.

charlestonchad (2/7/2008)

It's become more commercial. When the Allman Brothers and BB King aren't headliners, but Metallica, Police, and Tool are, then something is wrong.

Sure it's more commercial, it's a money making enterprise. But just because a couple of Pop bands headline doesn't take away from the other great artists playing. And Tool f'in rules, popular or not.

Fanboy3000 (2/7/2008)

and you are kidding yourself if you don't think the Allman Brothers are a popular band. even though they are not modern, they are just as commercialized and pop as the others. you can't go into one college dorm room, apartment and or frat house in the southern united states and not find an allman bros cd.

Anon (2/7/2008)
This looks good.

Hey city of Atlanta, bring back 'On the Bricks' concert series.

**** Dude we had the Midtown music festival for the last 6-7 years till they pulled it last year or two. Because people kept screwing up midtown. :P 140,000 there at one time will do that for 3 days. I saw tons of good bands there below are some that played.

**** I wish they would bring it back or do a Bonaroo here. :(

Derek Trucks

ratdog

Creed

No Doubt

David Lee roth

kid rock

Buckcherry

Joe Satriani

Tom Petty

Def Leppard

3 doors down

Stone temple pilots

and tons more.

By the way on that list for bonaroo, whose Lez Zeppelin? Lesbians -playing music that has probably been covered by more bands in history. ( and thats not a gimmick?) I liked Dread Zeppelin, the Elvis part was hilarous.

Fanboy3000 (2/7/2008)

Sure it's more commercial, it's a money making enterprise. But just because a couple of Pop bands headline doesn't take away from the other great artists playing. And Tool f'in rules, popular or not.

Yes, they do take away from the other artists. There were a lot of people there last year who were walking around wearing their black tool shirts with frowns on their faces, which hurt the atmosphere. Adding Metallica will only continue to hurt the good vibes that bonnaroo is famous for.

thesouphead (2/7/2008)
Fanboy3000 (2/7/2008)

and you are kidding yourself if you don't think the Allman Brothers are a popular band. even though they are not modern, they are just as commercialized and pop as the others. you can't go into one college dorm room, apartment and or frat house in the southern united states and not find an allman bros cd.

You make a good point about ABs being commercial. I guess I should have been more angered that BB King and Phil Lesh and a few others are going to be sitting in the back burner to guys like Kayne that pride themselves on being popular.

Yes, they do take away from the other artists. There were a lot of people there last year who were walking around wearing their black tool shirts with frowns on their faces, which hurt the atmosphere. Adding Metallica will only continue to hurt the good vibes that bonnaroo is famous for.

I completely disagree. I think it was awesome that so many of my hippiefied friends saw Tool last year and LOVED them after years of me telling them they would. And a few black shirts and frowns hurting the atmosphere? Sorry man, I've been to too many hippy festivals to believe in some pure good vibe bs: gutter-punk hippies selling heroin, stealing, beating kids with skateboards, dosing unsuspected victims. Seen too many people ODing. I think the infusion of a little Tool like atmosphere is great. Not to mention they put on a tremendous live show that any appreciator of music can respect.

Fanboy3000 (2/8/2008)

I completely disagree. I think it was awesome that so many of my hippiefied friends saw Tool last year and LOVED them after years of me telling them they would. And a few black shirts and frowns hurting the atmosphere? Sorry man, I've been to too many hippy festivals to believe in some pure good vibe bs: gutter-punk hippies selling heroin, stealing, beating kids with skateboards, dosing unsuspected victims. Seen too many people ODing. I think the infusion of a little Tool like atmosphere is great. Not to mention they put on a tremendous live show that any appreciator of music can respect.

Right on Fanboy, and I see a big difference in Tool and Metallica. Tool's music is heavy, but their themes and lyrics are uplifting. I think CharlestonChad has a bad impression of Tool fans. I know there are some like that out there, but I dont think those types of kids are the same types to attend Bonnaroo. Same with the 80's metal guys that might take away from the good hippie vibes. I dont think that many are going to purchase a $200 ticket JUST to see Metallica.

I understand how the Bonnaroo purists are becoming more disapointed with the line up, but theres plenty of hippie festivals out there, that population is too small and financially poor (due to spending all their money on tie-die and glass hair beads) for Bonnaroo to hold themselves back and not grow into something a larger audience can appreciate.

TerminusTiercel (2/8/2008)

Right on Fanboy, and I see a big difference in Tool and Metallica. Tool's music is heavy, but their themes and lyrics are uplifting. I think CharlestonChad has a bad impression of Tool fans. I know there are some like that out there, but I dont think those types of kids are the same types to attend Bonnaroo. Same with the 80's metal guys that might take away from the good hippie vibes. I dont think that many are going to purchase a $200 ticket JUST to see Metallica.

I understand how the Bonnaroo purists are becoming more disapointed with the line up, but theres plenty of hippie festivals out there, that population is too small and financially poor (due to spending all their money on tie-die and glass hair beads) for Bonnaroo to hold themselves back and not grow into something a larger audience can appreciate.

Yup. I love that it's become more diversified, mainly since I have very diverse musical tastes. If a few metal kids walking around looking metal is the cause of a less enjoyable festival experience for someone, well...i'm not gonna say.

And this is coming from a certified former dread having, heady veggie stir fry eating, t-shirt and grill cheese slanging, guitarist for a jam band hippie.