Mel Kiper has Ryan #3 on his big board

rexfalcon

I am usually not one to call out these draft guys, because so much of the work they do is very difficult, and I wouldn't want to be the one who is trying to guess what each team in the NFL is thinking...

But this guy is a tool. I half hope he is right, and Miami takes a QB. It is possible, because Parcels doesn't think that Beck kid, or Lemon is going to cut it.

I guess it wouldn't be an NFL draft if they didn't throw one halfassed QB into the top 5.

Who cares.... Mel Kiper is wrong every single year about a lot of guys.

I hope Ryan does go to Miami at #1 so we will have more options at our pick. As for Ryan coming here... no ##### way. The only QB I would half consider with a pick between 6-10 in this draft is Brian Brohm. Matt Ryan sucks. No QB in this draft is worth a look with binoculars in the top 5.

rexfalcon (2/7/2008)
He is now comparing Ryan to Phillp Rivers, Eli Manning, Big Ben. There is a lot of talk that Ryan will be going to Miami as the number 1 pick. There is still a chance we may draft Ryan. He is starting to gain too much buzz.

I dont uderstand what these draft guys are looking at this guy had 19 picks last year and only got sacked 23 time. that says to me that he doesnt make good decisions. why not draft Andre Woodson in the second round he had 41 TDs and 11 picks in the SEC what more can you ask for

TruFan12-2-87 (2/7/2008)
rexfalcon (2/7/2008)
He is now comparing Ryan to Phillp Rivers, Eli Manning, Big Ben. There is a lot of talk that Ryan will be going to Miami as the number 1 pick. There is still a chance we may draft Ryan. He is starting to gain too much buzz.

I dont uderstand what these draft guys are looking at this guy had 19 picks last year and only got sacked 23 time. that says to me that he doesnt make good decisions. why not draft Andre Woodson in the second round he had 41 TDs and 11 picks in the SEC what more can you ask for

andre woodsons game doesnt translate into the nfl and that is why is falling out of the first round at a fast rate. ryan has the tools to be a great qb, you have to look at more than just stats when evaluating players coming into the nfl. if you based it on stats only, guys like danny wueful(sp) colt brennen, ray rice, kevin smith etc would be high first round picks.

rexfalcon (2/7/2008)

Apparently his agent has a lot of cash to throw around... :P

Matt Ryan is not Eli, is not Rivers, and SURELY is not Peyton. He may have good character, and though that is important, it will NEVER win a game for you on Sunday's. The man threw 19 picks last year. That is more than any big time prospect I can remember. Also doesn't do great on 3rd down. If we draft him, no way I can believe this new regime is serious about winning any football games.

Mel Kipers judgment may be off just a little bit. I mean, look at his hair. Would you wear your hair like that on national TV?:P

Seriously though, I don't get what is so great about Ryan. I just don't see it. As of now I would be pissed if we drafted him with our 1st. He would pretty much have to be able to jump into a phone booth during the combine and come out as Superman for me to even think about drafting him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ryan is the number 1 QB in the draft. Sure there are others QB's I would like to have and other positions I would like to have with our first overall pick. You are living in an alternate reality if you think Matt Ryan is not going to be considerd by a team that needs a QB and is picking in the top 10.

Fact, a guys performance is not the end all be all. Guys are expected to get better and in some case be better pro players than college players. Sure, Ryan may not have the highest upside, but there is room for him to improve. Scouts and guys that evaluate player look at the big picture, unlike some on this board. What was the guy playing with, what type of system does he come from. Ryan has no pro receivers and the offense called for him to throw the ball 50 or more times a game in a lot of cases. Sorry, when you throw it that much, and especially to ham and eggers, your INT totals will go up. If the TD to INT ration was the end all be all, why have so many QB with a 2:1 ratio or better ended up being garbage?

trubirdfan4life (2/7/2008)
well if mel says it, then it must be the gospel of jesus christ.

The opinions of Mel kiper and MB Trolls have one thing in common, they crawl out from under they're rock a few times a year and nobody gives a rat's azz about what they have to say.

falkonX7 (2/7/2008)
isproab (2/7/2008)
Sure, Ryan may not have the highest upside, but there is room for him to improve.
if we are spending a top 5 pick on him he better have some really good upside, not just 'room to improve'

Didn't we just have a guy that had the highest upside possible? Potential does not win games.

How often does a highly touted guy pan out? Look at all of the "top 10" drafted QB's in the last 5 years, and name one who has produced right away. BIg Ben was not early. We need help in literally every catagory, and need it now. That #3-5 pick is more valuable as a trade for talent or extra picks later. But if used, we need to focus on the lines. Rookie secondary gets burned, QB takes too long to develop, and receivers are not very enticing this year. Get some meat first, then grab Henne in the 2nd or 3rd round. We can do with out a great QB for a while...most of the league has.

isproab (2/7/2008)
falkonX7 (2/7/2008)
isproab (2/7/2008)
Sure, Ryan may not have the highest upside, but there is room for him to improve.
if we are spending a top 5 pick on him he better have some really good upside, not just 'room to improve'

Didn't we just have a guy that had the highest upside possible? Potential does not win games.

You mean the overhyped guy we drafted in the first round? Yes, lets make that same mistake twice.

So why do you think Ryan is so good? What makes him better than any other QB in the draft?

isproab (2/7/2008)
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ryan is the number 1 QB in the draft. Sure there are others QB's I would like to have and other positions I would like to have with our first overall pick. You are living in an alternate reality if you think Matt Ryan is not going to be considerd by a team that needs a QB and is picking in the top 10.

Fact, a guys performance is not the end all be all. Guys are expected to get better and in some case be better pro players than college players. Sure, Ryan may not have the highest upside, but there is room for him to improve. Scouts and guys that evaluate player look at the big picture, unlike some on this board. What was the guy playing with, what type of system does he come from. Ryan has no pro receivers and the offense called for him to throw the ball 50 or more times a game in a lot of cases. Sorry, when you throw it that much, and especially to ham and eggers, your INT totals will go up. If the TD to INT ration was the end all be all, why have so many QB with a 2:1 ratio or better ended up being garbage?

thats all i've been trying to say. i mean for all these folks crying for Brohm. this guy was putting the ball in the air 70 + times a game. that arm has got to have some serious wear on it.

KRAEHEFISH (2/7/2008)
How often does a highly touted guy pan out? Look at all of the "top 10" drafted QB's in the last 5 years, and name one who has produced right away. BIg Ben was not early. We need help in literally every catagory, and need it now. That #3-5 pick is more valuable as a trade for talent or extra picks later. But if used, we need to focus on the lines. Rookie secondary gets burned, QB takes too long to develop, and receivers are not very enticing this year. Get some meat first, then grab Henne in the 2nd or 3rd round. We can do with out a great QB for a while...most of the league has.

we don't need a qb to have an immediate impact. we have to look at the long term picture of the franchise, not just the next few seasons. Ryan, while possibly not even seeing the field until 2009, would solidify the qb position for 10-15 years. we are going to have to get a qb eventually, might as well get the best now.