Falcons Name New Def Backs Coach

woodstockfan

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons today named Alvin Reynolds the team s new defensive backs coach. Reynolds, a 15-year NFL coaching veteran, will work with Falcons assistant head coach/secondary Emmitt Thomas.

Reynolds joins the Falcons after spending the past five seasons with Atlanta Head Coach Mike Smith with the Jacksonville Jaguars as the defensive backs coach (2003-2007). He guided a secondary that ranked fourth in the AFC after totaling 20 interceptions (tying a team record) this past season, led by rookie safety Reggie Nelson s five picks. In 2006, cornerback Rashean Mathis led the club with a team-record eight interceptions as the Jaguars set a franchise high with 20 interceptions.

Prior to his coaching stint in Jacksonville, Reynolds served as a defensive assistant for the Carolina Panthers from 1999-2003. He was in Baltimore for the first three seasons of the Ravens franchise (1996-1998) as the secondary coach. Reynolds began his NFL coaching career with the Denver Broncos as a defensive assistant from 1993-1995 and worked with defensive backs Steve Atwater and Dennis Smith.

In 1982, Reynolds joined his alma mater Indiana State as a graduate assistant. He was named the team s secondary coach in 1983 and served in that capacity before becoming an assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator in addition to coaching the secondary in 1990. He coached two All-America players, including former NFL star Venice Glenn.

Reynolds was a standout strong safety at Indiana State (1978-1981) and received two votes for the Heisman Trophy as a senior. He totaled 225 career tackles while adding 21 passes defensed, five fumble recoveries and five interceptions.

Alvin Reynolds Coaching Background

Years Position Team

2008 Defensive Backs Coach Atlanta Falcons

2003-2007 Defensive Backs Coach Jacksonville Jaguars

1999-2002 Defensive Assistant Carolina Panthers

1996-1998 Secondary Coach Baltimore Ravens

1993-1995 Defensive Assistant Denver Broncos

1990-1992 Assist. Head Coach/Secondary Coach Indiana State University

1983-1989 Secondary Coach Indiana State University

1982 Graduate Assistant Indiana State University

man, the main thing i say is THIS STAFF looks sooooooooooo much better from a pro experience standpoint than the staff from last year!!!! :) VERY NICE!!! and i'm hopin' this staff produces on the field as good as they look on paper!! maybe BLANK will really be hands goin' forward!!???!! i like what i'm seein' so far tho;)

It's going to be very helpful in implementing the new defensive schemes having assistents follow Smith here. I'm all for it.

Smith's defenses have been CONSISTENTLY good over the years, something that I really like here. He didn;t just have one or two good defensive years......he's pretty much always had good, solid defenses.

I've always believed that if you could play tough as nails defense, run the ball effectively, open up the play action on offense and play solid ST's you can beat playoff teams.

If you play shetty defense and can't run the ball you are in big trouble as we were this year.

Many fans are going to complain about what is going to happen here....it's not going to be sexy enough for them, but to me THIS IS WHAT FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT....BE ABLE TO POUND THE BALL ON OFFENSE TO SET UP SOME PLAY ACTION PAASES AND PLAY EXCELLENT DEFENSE. This is a playoff strategy I am behind.

gazoo (2/6/2008)

Many fans are going to complain about what is going to happen here....it's not going to be sexy enough for them, but to me THIS IS WHAT FOOTBALL IS ALL ABOUT....BE ABLE TO POUND THE BALL ON OFFENSE TO SET UP SOME PLAY ACTION PAASES AND PLAY EXCELLENT DEFENSE. This is a playoff strategy I am behind.

then those fans need look NO FURTHER than the current SB CHAMPS!!!;) maybe the FALCONS have finally got somethin' right!!??? we'll soon see:cool:

sanfranfalcon

then those fans need look NO FURTHER than the current SB CHAMPS!!!;) maybe the FALCONS have finally got somethin' right!!??? we'll soon see:cool:

Unfortuntaely our fans don't understand ball control with play action. They attacked and bashed Reeves playcalling all the way to the Super Bowl, demanded Blank fire him and now critize Blank for letting him go saying it was a huge mistake.

I fully co-sign smashmouth running game to set up the play action pass. This helps TOP, keeps your dfense fresh into the 4th quarter and wears down the other teams defense. Our fans want Sports Center highlights and bombs thrown every 4 or 5 plays. Anythng less and they are going to bash the playcalling and demand everyone get fired.

I've been watching it for years here. They don;t get it.

exactly...the DC has plenty of experienced guys out there to get his crew ready to play.

we are going to be a defense first team. we will hone this team for a year and the next year we will really see this defense go crazy on people. we won't need an offense that scores 35 a game if we run the ball and play lights out on defense.

that was the giants formula...they didn't run for a ton of yards but they were meaningful runs that ate up clock and put pressure on the other team to try to do too much.

that would be a welcomed change around here.

same thing for the Oline, it will take about 2 years for the oline to be intact.

we have to get a tackle, a guard, and a center. so to get what we need it will take 2 years unless we get lucky in the draft.

gazoo (2/6/2008)
sanfranfalcon

Unfortuntaely our fans don't understand ball control with play action. They attacked and bashed Reeves playcalling all the way to the Super Bowl, demanded Blank fire him and now critize Blank for letting him go saying it was a huge mistake.

I fully co-sign smashmouth running game to set up the play action pass. This helps TOP, keeps your dfense fresh into the 4th quarter and wears down the other teams defense. Our fans want Sports Center highlights and bombs thrown every 4 or 5 plays. Anythng less and they are going to bash the playcalling and demand everyone get fired.

I love a strong defense. Watching a defense dominate the other team gets me just as pumped up as the offense scoring. That's why I loved the BVG hire, unlike some on here. That was some of the best defensive football I watched during BVG's four years at UGA. He took an undersized DE in Pollack and turned him into a QB's nightmare. Smith's and BVG's defenses are a lot alike. I have a feeling this draft and free agency will focus heavily on d-line and o-line more than anything else. BVG and Smith both like to bring pressure with just the front 4 with an occasional well timed blitz. I'm really excited to see what this roster looks like come August.

gazoo (2/6/2008)
sanfranfalcon

oh yeah, i know. lived in ATL for over 20 years. i know the fan base and history...well;) gotta luv the defenses MSMITH has put together over the years. for whatever reason i think the team of TD and MS will get the team back on track and lookin' like a professional team!!! and the hire of REYNOLDS, tho i did not know his name but have seen his work, makes me think that even more!!;)

i asked this question in another post awhile back but never got an answer. my question is what allows coaches to make lateral moves from one team to another??? does that team have to actually release them from their current contract in order for them to sign elsewhere, as in the case of the FALCONS gettin' the new DB coach?? insight appreciated!!!:D