Dobson Vs. McCain

Brookhaven

Link to Dobson statement: http://www.citizenlink.org/CLtopstories/A000006444.cfm

I am a religous conservative that is way to the right of Dr. Dobson. I call myself a fundamentalists, because evangelicals are too liberal. I m appaled at the reasons Dobson gave for not supporting McCain.

McCain has been solid and consistent in the fight to end abortion for decades, as has Dobson. The difference is Dobson wants a constitutional amendment. McCain doesn t believe in tinkering with the constitution, and that there is a bright line between issues that should be decided at the federal level and those issues that belong at the state level. He belives Roe v. Wade was a bad decision, because the federal courts made a decision on an issue that should have been decided at the state level.

McCain believes the way to end abortion is to appoint constructionist judges that will overturn Row v. Wade and trow the issue back to the states. Abortion can then be outlawed at the state level, state by state. Dobson wants a constitutional amendmennt.

The same is true with gay marriage. Both McCain and Dobson oppose it. Dobson wants a constitutional amendment, McCain thinks the issue should be handled at the state level.

To villify someone that holds the same goals as you, but wants to take a different path to get there is insanity. Especially when you consider the alternative the Democrats would give us on those issues.

I was dissapointed Dobson sited campaing finance reform and immigration. He may have said he was speaking on his own, but there is no doubt the people that will heed his words will do so because they see him as a religious leader.

I can t see where the Bible takes a stand on campaign finance reform one way or another. It may be an important convertaive issue, but not an important religious conservative issue. There are no religous conservative grounds for critisizing McCain on this at all.

Illegal immigration does have a religious conservative context, but I think Dobson is missing it. Whether we seal the borders or open them up is not a religous issue. What happens to the people does. The Bible commands us to love others. You see this in Huckabee s position on illegal immigration, where he is opposed to it, but also talks about the need to be concerned with the people affected by it. A position that has caused Huckabee to be strongly critisized by most conservatives, but I have a hard time faulting him on this knowing his position grows out of his religious beliefs.

Unlike Huckabee, Dr. Dobson seems to have forgotten that illegal immigrants are also human beings created in the image of God, and that from a religious standpoint you can t address the illegal immigration issue without also taking into account how you are going to deal with the people involved (illegal immigrants or otherwise.)

I don t agree with McCain on everything (certainly not on campaing finance or immigration), when it comes to the issues that are important to me from a religious standpoint (abortion, gay marriage, school & public prayer/religious expression) McCain has been solid for years.

I'm also convinced that McCain would appoint strict constructionists to the courts. People who would not legislate from the bench, and take the position that there are a limited number of things that should be decided at the federal level, and everything else should be decided at the state level. A key requirement if we are ever to roll back the social changes that have been legislated from the bench over the years, and that Dr. Dobson is so critical of.

McCain is a piece of human garbage.

C'mon, he was one of the Keating Five.

Known for such loving christian quotes, as "I hated the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live."

Let me see, he's all for over-running this crumbling empire with the entire 3rd World population in the Western Hemisphere.

And evidently, he is all for starting WWIII as communicated through his lovely song, "bomb, bomb, Iran."

I could go on but what's the point...

Anon (2/6/2008)

Known for such loving christian quotes, as "I hated the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live."

Let me see, he's all for over-running this crumbling empire with the entire 3rd World population in the Western Hemisphere.

And evidently, he is all for starting WWIII as communicated through his lovely song, "bomb, bomb, Iran."

HEY! Let's keep this honest. I don't know when the "gooks" comment was made, but I suspect it might have been close in time to when the "gooks" held him prisoner, tortured and maimed him for life.

And despite those words, his actions show forgiveness. He and John Kerry have been PROACTIVE in establishing relations with the Vietnamese.

I've got NO USE for McCain, but he served his country honorably and does not deserve to be slandered in that manner.

holymoses (2/6/2008)
HEY! Let's keep this honest. I don't know when the "gooks" comment was made, but I suspect it might have been close in time to when the "gooks" held him prisoner, tortured and maimed him for life.

And despite those words, his actions show forgiveness. He and John Kerry have been PROACTIVE in establishing relations with the Vietnamese.

I've got NO USE for McCain, but he served his country honorably and does not deserve to be slandered in that manner.

He made the "gook" comment in 2000.

holymoses (2/6/2008)
Anon (2/6/2008)

Psshhh. The "gooks" comment was made in 2000!

And there is hardly anything "honorable" about the Keating Five.

Much of his POW account is completely exaggerated and many, many,

None of these issues with McCain have anything to do with the reasons Dobson gave for not supporting him.

If you don't support McCain for some reason, that's fine. Same with Dobson. The problem I'm having with Dobson is the reasons he gave for not supporting McCain don't line up with the reality of McCain's positions on those issues.

Much of his POW account is completely exaggerated and many, many,

Wow . . . the swift boating of McCain begins. I don't have to go to that site to tell you what it is. It's the POW/MIA crowd who are PISSED at McCain (and Kerry) for slamming the door on their cross of hate by declaring that there WERE no POW's being held in Vietnam anymore.

Hardly a credible source.

Am I right?

And the Keiting 5 thing WAS totally dishonorable. I was referring to his military service.

Mike Huckabee "Responds" to James Dobson: I Would Vote for John McCain Email this article

Printer friendly page

RSS Newsfeed

by Steven Ertelt

LifeNews.com Editor

February 6, 2008

Washington, DC (LifeNews.com) -- Mike Huckabee "responded: to pro-life leader Dr. James Dobson on Wednesday morning when he said he would definitely support John McCain over either of the pro-abortion Democratic candidates. Dobson, and other conservatives, have issued statements saying they wouldn't vote if McCain is the GOP nominee.

On Tuesday, Dobson issued a statement saying he is disappointed that the Republican Party "seems poised to select a nominee who ... voted for embryonic stem-cell research to kill nascent human beings," and takes positions contrary to his on other political issues.

"I am convinced Sen. McCain is not a conservative, and in fact, has gone out of his way to stick his thumb in the eyes of those who are," Dobson, the head of Focus on the Family, added. " I cannot, and will not, vote for Sen. John McCain, as a matter of conscience."

Asked in general about those like Dobson or Rush Limbaugh who say they would not vote or pick someone else before they would support McCain, Huckabee said he disagreed.

"Well, you know what? They're not a conservative," the pro-life former Arkansas governor told CNN.

"If they say that, then that just proves something: They're more about themselves than they are the cause. Because there's no way that a true conservative would vote for Hillary Clinton," he added.

He told CNN he respects McCain and "would certainly vote for him before I would vote for Hillary or Obama."

"Some people need to switch to decaf and realize, folks, we may not get all of our battles just like we want, but there's a larger context in which this has to be fought," Huckabee added.

The public comments of support for McCain in no way mean Huckabee is dropping out or that he is considering a spot as his running mate.

On NBC's "Today" show, Huckabee said, "We're going to be opponents over the next several weeks, and we're not going to be talking about a marriage. We're going to be talking about both trying to go after the same bride."

"Nobody ever wants the vice president's job. Nobody ever turns it down," he added.

"I'm not giving up," he said on CNN.