Obama (barely) won majority of votes last night!

Ramen

Some states still have 4-7% of precincts not reporting, but right now it looks like Obama won just over 50% of the votes across all Super Tuesday states while Clinton won just under 50%.

So Clinton may have won more delegates, but Obama won more votes.

It's a split decision, but that means a huge win for Obama because most people thought Clinton would emerge with a clear (but not overwhelming) lead.

Ramen (2/6/2008)
Some states still have 4-7% of precincts not reporting, but right now it looks like Obama won just over 50% of the votes across all Super Tuesday states while Clinton won just under 50%.

So Clinton may have won more delegates, but Obama won more votes.

It's a split decision, but that means a huge win for Obama because most people thought Clinton would emerge with a clear (but not overwhelming) lead.

I am THRILLED with what Obama did last night! Everthing about Super Duper Tuesday played to Clinton's strengths and he still survived . . . won the popular vote, won more states and PROBABLY would have won the delegate county IF California didn't have 50% early voting. That killed him. I wonder what the numbers were out there for the actual votes cast yesterday?

Now the race gets back on his turf . . . literally, on the ground campaigning. If he can just get those pesky NON Black minorities to vote for him!

And don't you guys think that the next round of caucuses and primaries favor Obama...Virginia and Maryland. This should give him some nice momentum heading into Ohio and Texas.

Ohio would be huge, I don't expect anything good out of Texas though. Obama needs to focus on Cincy and Cleveland...

Doesn't matter. The Democratic delegate system is rigged in favor or Hillary.

About 40% of the delegates a Democrat needs to win the nomination are superdelegates. They were crearted after Carter (an outsider) won the nomination to ensure another outsider never won the Democratic nomination again.

These superdelegates are all party insiders. Part of the Democratic machine, which Bill Clinton has been running since he took office in 1992.

I like Obama personally (although not his positions), but the fact is the Democratic machine will never let an outsider like him have the nomination. That is exactly why they created superdelegates.

Brookhaven (2/6/2008)

About 40% of the delegates a Democrat needs to win the nomination are superdelegates. They were crearted after Carter (an outsider) won the nomination to ensure another outsider never won the Democratic nomination again.

These superdelegates are all party insiders. Part of the Democratic machine, which Bill Clinton has been running since he took office in 1992.

I like Obama personally (although not his positions), but the fact is the Democratic machine will never let an outsider like him have the nomination. That is exactly why they created superdelegates.

If Clinton gets the nomination without the popular delegate vote, they'll be a freakin' riot, and I'll lead it!

Check out the "Baseball Hypothetical" thread, please.

Brookhaven (2/6/2008)

Its stuff like that which causes people to lose faith in the voting process. How do you convince people to vote when they see the people who win the popular election not get the nomination? I mean truly what's the point in voting if at the end of the day, the vote counts don't matter?

Brookhaven (2/6/2008)

The unpledged PLEO delegates (superdelegates) only constitute 20% of the total convention delegates. PLEO stands for "party leaders and elected officials". They include members of Congress, past presidents, and in some case governors and state officials. There's no reason to think they will tilt completely toward Clinton, and in fact Obama has done a respectable job getting their endorsements. If the race stays close going into the convention, then the superdelegates may be the deciding factor. But I doubt we'd see a situation where Obama wins a clear (53%+) majority of primaries and delegates but then loses the nomination because of superdelegates. Frankly, most superdelegates will follow the trends in their state (e.g., Illinois superdelegates will favor Obama).

Ramen (2/6/2008)
Brookhaven (2/6/2008)

The unpledged PLEO delegates (superdelegates) only constitute 20% of the total convention delegates. PLEO stands for "party leaders and elected officials". They include members of Congress, past presidents, and in some case governors and state officials. There's no reason to think they will tilt completely toward Clinton, and in fact Obama has done a respectable job getting their endorsements. If the race stays close going into the convention, then the superdelegates may be the deciding factor. But I doubt we'd see a situation where Obama wins a clear (53%+) majority of primaries and delegates but then loses the nomination because of superdelegates. Frankly, most superdelegates will follow the trends in their state (e.g., Illinois superdelegates will favor Obama).

I agree. If it goes to the convention, which is not far fetched, the PLEO has to consider who is more electible. Obama is the most electible democrat we have seen in awhile.

holymoses (2/6/2008)

I agree. If it goes to the convention, which is not far fetched, the PLEO has to consider who is more electible. Obama is the most electible democrat we have seen in awhile.

PLEASE see "Baseball Hypothetical" thread!

Stop trying to steal people away from my threads by directing them to your own threads. :angry: