Venom will get his own movie

Headshot

20 bucks says Carnage is the baddie.

So Spider-Man 3 wasn t Spider-Man 2 or even Spider-Man 1. Come on people, get over it. It s not a bad movie. Not as good as the others, but a lot of people seem to have talked themselves into believe it s Elektra when it s really more like Batman Returns. It s a solid superhero flick. Even Raimi s streak of utter genius had to end some time.

He did however drop the ball on Venom. Topher Grace was the right man for the part, and there are moments in the movie where the film really gets Venom right, but for the most part he s a footnote and never gets the kind of character development that Spider-Man s most awesome arch-nemesis deserves. It would be kind of like having The Joker stuck in the role Scarecrow played in Batman Begins.

Now though, it looks like Venom may get his due& without Spidey. IESB is reporting that Marvel is giving him his own movie. In fact, the project is part of the interim agreement Marvel made with the WGA, so this isn t even something that ll have to wait until after the strike. Marvel Studios is swinging with it, right now.

The Venom Symbiote presents plenty of opportunity for Jekyll and Hyde style drama, but they ll need a good actor to pull it off. No word on whether Topher Grace will return to play Eddie Brock, the guy inside the black, gooey, thingy from space. I for one hope he does. Grace, like Venom, hasn t gotten the kind of work he deserves. He s a better actor than his filmography says he is, and he still seems like the right fit for Venom, especially in a film focused entirely on the character.

Headshot (2/5/2008)
20 bucks says Carnage is the baddie.

So Spider-Man 3 wasn t Spider-Man 2 or even Spider-Man 1. Come on people, get over it. It s not a bad movie. Not as good as the others, but a lot of people seem to have talked themselves into believe it s Elektra when it s really more like Batman Returns. It s a solid superhero flick. Even Raimi s streak of utter genius had to end some time.

He did however drop the ball on Venom. Topher Grace was the right man for the part, and there are moments in the movie where the film really gets Venom right, but for the most part he s a footnote and never gets the kind of character development that Spider-Man s most awesome arch-nemesis deserves. It would be kind of like having The Joker stuck in the role Scarecrow played in Batman Begins.

Now though, it looks like Venom may get his due& without Spidey. IESB is reporting that Marvel is giving him his own movie. In fact, the project is part of the interim agreement Marvel made with the WGA, so this isn t even something that ll have to wait until after the strike. Marvel Studios is swinging with it, right now.

The Venom Symbiote presents plenty of opportunity for Jekyll and Hyde style drama, but they ll need a good actor to pull it off. No word on whether Topher Grace will return to play Eddie Brock, the guy inside the black, gooey, thingy from space. I for one hope he does. Grace, like Venom, hasn t gotten the kind of work he deserves. He s a better actor than his filmography says he is, and he still seems like the right fit for Venom, especially in a film focused entirely on the character.

That will be an great movie if they pull it off!!:D

Statick (2/6/2008)
Venom gets his own movie?

Why? He's a villian. (Sounds like it may be another "Catwoman" flop.)

These forays into changing the backgrounds of comic book characters reminds me of those "What If?" comics.

I agree it has HUGE flop potential. However, there is a LOT to draw from in this character, if they don't rush it I bet it will be good.

Biloxifalcon (2/6/2008)
Statick (2/6/2008)
Venom gets his own movie?

Why? He's a villian. (Sounds like it may be another "Catwoman" flop.)

These forays into changing the backgrounds of comic book characters reminds me of those "What If?" comics.

I agree it has HUGE flop potential. However, there is a LOT to draw from in this character, if they don't rush it I bet it will be good.

Alot to draw on? Really?

Not to be overly contentious, but the only times Venom showed any mercy/heroism in the comics was if an "innocent" was put in jeopardy by him going after Spider-Man or if an "innocent" had to be dispatched by him just because they were standing the way of him killing Spider-Man. His only reason for being was to kill Spider-Man.

Sounds like they're going to have to do a major rewrite just to make his character (outside of trying to kill Spidey) believable.

Also, rumors are that the villains in SM4 are going to be The Lizard and Carnage, so if they want to make Carnage the villian in Venom, they're going to have to wait after SM4.

Brian Hunt (2/6/2008)
Spider-Man 3 was awful. Venom is not a character that should be the centerpiece of a movie unless it's a horror movie. The character barely works outside of comics without The Secret Wars origin.

I still need to read the secret wars, have you read were spiderman dies and then evolves.

Ronald loves the falcons (2/6/2008)
Brian Hunt (2/6/2008)
Spider-Man 3 was awful. Venom is not a character that should be the centerpiece of a movie unless it's a horror movie. The character barely works outside of comics without The Secret Wars origin.

I still need to read the secret wars, have you read were spiderman dies and then evolves.

Yeah, he comes back with heightened powers and stingers in his forearms and such.

But since the new (and somewhat controversial) story arc of Brand New Day he's gone back to his old form. He's back to using webshooters again.

Please.... not Topher Grace.... I could NOT take that guy seriously. It was ridiculous to have that scrawny, whiny little girl playing that role.

My main problem with Spider Man 3 was that they tried to do too much in the span of the movie. The whole movie should have been Spidey/Venom rather than making the best bad guy in the Spideyverse an afterthought. Sandman was unnecessary if Venom was in the movie. A Sandman/Lizard team would have been cool, but Venom should have had his own gig. It all felt very, very rushed. A shame, really.

Direwolf

keithbrooking56 (2/7/2008)
Venom needs a tall, large physically built actor. It was a joke seeing a lanky thin bad actor play him. He did not display Brock's brooding prescence at ALL in that movie. He tried to make him some not funny sidekick villian instead of the massive and slightly insane Venom we all know.

Hence, what I was hinting at when I said there was a LOT to draw from -- him being "slightly insane". I think he's way more than slightly though, and that freaking alien costume adds that dimension of multiple personalities that can be fun, in a crazy kinda way.

keithbrooking56 (2/7/2008)
Venom needs a tall, large physically built actor. It was a joke seeing a lanky thin bad actor play him. He did not display Brock's brooding prescence at ALL in that movie. He tried to make him some not funny sidekick villian instead of the massive and slightly insane Venom we all know.

Venom needs that yes, but as far as I'm concerned, Topher Grace can continue being Eddie Brock.

Put someone like Brock Lesnar is the suit, but leave Foreman to play the "other side" if you will.