Here's a hypothetical for you.

jidady

The Patriots pick #7. They stand to lose Asante Samuel in free agency unless they pony up a big contract. The Patriots are in Win Now mode, unlikely to worry about much beyond the 2008 season.

DeAngelo Hall was picked #8 overall and has lived up to his billing. The Falcons are in rebuilding mode and have several needs. Dealing Hall would create another, obviously.

Would you be happy with the Falcons trading Hall straight up for the #7 pick in the draft? With Baby Animal returning to college and Chris Long unlikely to be there when they pick, I'm having trouble matching the Patriots with a player I believe they would feel worthy of the #7. So, I see it from their side. What I can't decide if the Falcons come out ahead in a deal where they deal a proven corner for the #7 selection.

Would you willingly create a hole in the secondary in order to see the team wind up with something like Dorsey at #3 and Clady at #7, given the cost of top 10 picks in the draft these days?

goosedaddy70 (2/5/2008)
I would love this but I don't know if the Patriots would give up the #7 pick just to have a guy for one year and then have another CB that wants LOTS of money.

Next year is all that matters to the Patriots. This regime isn't thinking long term.

I just don't think it is worth it to them.(by the way, the Patriots are pretty smart... i doubt they take on the DHALL)

That's silly. They've taken on problem children like Corey Dillon and Randy Moss. Hall is a choirboy comparatively.

goosedaddy70 (2/5/2008)
I would love this but I don't know if the Patriots would give up the #7 pick just to have a guy for one year and then have another CB that wants LOTS of money.

I just don't think it is worth it to them.(by the way, the Patriots are pretty smart... i doubt they take on the DHALL)

I would think one of the conditions of the deal would have to be that Hall signs a long term extension .

It's possible, personnally i don't like the idea of a trade as i want tok keep D-Hall, all this talk of re-building so you trade away a probable(i emphasis that word) franchise CB who is younger than some draftees? just makes 0 sense to me

Am i the only person that can see the pats taking Vernon Ghoulston if available?

I would love that trade myself. I think that the pats would NEVER do that but if TD could pull that off I would definately be overjoyed.

The pats have to find an answer all over the defense though. seau, bruschki, samuel, and gay are all free agents. That is a lot to get in one draft. The pats have lost their best college scout so that makes it even tougher. I think they will trade down the #7 to pick up a 2nd and 4th round pick to help retool that defense.

i would do that trade in a second, but what i dont understand about your hypothetical, is why would the patriots be interested in a corner who is seeking a huge contract just like asante? you mentioned that they are looking towards next year. but then the question arises, would one trade the #7 overall pick to have a player for only one year, and possibly reach the super bowl that year? i dont know. i could see them doing it if they thought they could resign him for less.

I'm all over it.

D. Hall is a great player. He gets a lot of heat, but he is. Hall gets a lot of crap from the same people who complain about a lack of pass rush. Put a pass rush in front of Hall and he'll get you 10 interceptions a year, because he doesn't drop a ball he gets his hands on. And that's rare for a corner. I think he also gets a little bit of a bad rap, because he is such an emotional player that cares about winning. In the heat of the moment, he sometimes let's that get the best of him.

But this is a win-win trade for both teams. Pats get a stellar CB who replaces Hall and would likely sign long-term. Falcons can get two franchise players on the lines. Not to mention that this is a deep CB class, and good Cover 2 corners can be found in the mid-rounds.

The Falcons would then probably focus on a very good safety in Round 2, and I think Reggie Smith, who can play CB and S, if he is there, would be a guy to look at.

Robb4242 (2/5/2008)
goosedaddy70 (2/5/2008)

I would think one of the conditions of the deal would have to be that Hall signs a long term extension .

He's right--Hall would want to get PAID. I don't think NE does it b/c they're pretty cheap. They do have the infrastructure to make Hall behave but I don't see it happening. NE takes best linebacker available, probably Gholston DE/OLB.

neko (2/6/2008)
i would do that trade in a second, but what i dont understand about your hypothetical, is why would the patriots be interested in a corner who is seeking a huge contract just like asante?

The key is that without a long term extension, they can't bring Samuel back next year. They agreed not to franchise him. Hall offers similar performance for 2008 in the same role and is under contract at a much more reasonable amount as a 2004 draft pick.

What I like about this scenario is that in playing out the possibilities in my head, I honestly believe we would wind up with two of Dorsey, Ellis, McFadden, Long or Long. I hate the idea of losing Hall, but we need playmakers and trenches studs more than overkill corners if we do go cover-2.

i would definately do the trade, as much as i love hall, because if we are moving to the cover-2 it is a bit of a waste to have such a dynamic and high paid corner that excels in man coverage. i mean he is going to want a lot of money, and the success of the cover-2 lies in the defensive front and the pass rush it can produce, not in the talent of the corners, especially in man coverage.

but to be honest, i dont see that particular trade as very likely. i do think that a trade to detroit or the cowboys makes some sense though. detroit would cough up their 1st round pick or the cowboys would cough up #22 and a 2nd rounder for him. those 2 teams, from what i can guess, would have the money or the guts to pay him what he wants. and we end up with a top 22 selection either way.

again, i hate to lose deangelo, he is probably my favorite player along with alge. but TD comes from a very financially smart patriots organization, and i doubt he pays dhall what he deserves, which is a lot of money. he will build from the inside out, and that means dhall might be gone soon. its too bad, because i love watching hall play, but this is a business and thats what it comes to sometimes.

grendel (2/6/2008)
jidady (2/6/2008)
neko (2/6/2008)
i would do that trade in a second, but what i dont understand about your hypothetical, is why would the patriots be interested in a corner who is seeking a huge contract just like asante?

The key is that without a long term extension, they can't bring Samuel back next year. They agreed not to franchise him. Hall offers similar performance for 2008 in the same role and is under contract at a much more reasonable amount as a 2004 draft pick.

Well, the other part is that in terms of signing Hall, they'd have a lot more leverage. Samuels has already been promised that he won't be franchise tagged again. Hall has a year left on his contract and no such promise, so signing a long-term contract that pays him now is a lot more favorable for him and he'll likely take a little less than free agent market value, which is likely to skyrocket again this year given the expansion of the salary cap.

good points. ok, im sold.