I am really not one to post this type of thread...

Atowndown

I love Mike Smith to death...living in JAX and all.....but i have to say after watching the Superbowl...and seeing what Spags did to Brady and the all mighty Pats....i would have to say i wouldnt be optimistic about this year as i am now...but more pessimistic that we would have a great year....Go Mike Smith....but man this guy Spags....is going to be a great coach somewhere.

yea i said the same thing until i seen a great post by another member. spags has only been in the def coordinator position for the giants 1 year. now even though he won the superbowl, that defense was already there before he got there. it was already in place, just needed a little tweak here and there. now mike smith on the other has been in the league for a while and i think he did alot more rebuilding of that jacksonville defense more then spags did. now if i asked me who would i rather have, i would have to say mike smith for the fact that he made nothing out of something in jacksonville.

somecut8 (2/5/2008)
well, the giants did have 2 probowler DEs and 4 D-linemen that can all pass rush.

they also have a future HOF DE.

Tuck, Umenyiora, and Strahan are all top DEs.

they also have 3 good linebackers

the d wanted it more and it was a rematch game.

This really isn't about the thread but I really like your mock draft. Only thing I'd change is that you don't have a kicker and we need to get that fixed.

falconsstomp (2/5/2008)
yea i said the same thing until i seen a great post by another member. spags has only been in the def coordinator position for the giants 1 year. now even though he won the superbowl, that defense was already there before he got there. it was already in place, just needed a little tweak here and there. now mike smith on the other has been in the league for a while and i think he did alot more rebuilding of that jacksonville defense more then spags did. now if i asked me who would i rather have, i would have to say mike smith for the fact that he made nothing out of something in jacksonville.

That is absolutely correct, although stroud(rd 1),henderson(rd 1),hayward(rd 3),petersen(rd 2),mathis(rd 2),daryl smith(rd 2), the only defensive starters outside the first 3 rds are paul spicer undrafted, brian williams rd 4....and sammy knight...while i agree he molded the jax defense....its not like he was grooming scrubs...lol

I am pretty sure that I was one of the earliest people to suggest that Spanuolo should be on our short list of HC candidates. I became aware of Spags from my Giant fan friends. There is no question that he is a fantastic DC. He may have been the best in the league this season. But before we lament "missing" him as a HC, keep this in mind:

1 He was mentored by Jim Johnson. Johnson is the designer of the defense and Spags is his star pupil.

2 Spags has never had to run an entire organization. He is a phenomenal X's and O's guy, but we do not know how well he can manage all the responsibilities. Can he handle balancing the O and the D? Can he handle all the personalities and the media stuff?

3 How much experience does Spags have in player evaluation? One of the selling points of Mike Smith was his astute evaluations of players. Can Spags match Smith's eye for talent?

4 How consistently can Spags excell as a DC? Mike Smith has been consistently one of the top DC's in this league. He has weathered a bounty of important injuries. Once opponents get a chance to see film of Spags' D, will he be as effective? You know that coaches will now have plenty of time to dissect Spags thoroughly.

I think Dimitroff made the right decision. Spags may turn out to be a great HC, but he may not be ready right now.

ShaunnBigDin08 (2/5/2008)
I love Mike Smith to death...living in JAX and all.....but i have to say after watching the Superbowl...and seeing what Spags did to Brady and the all mighty Pats....i would have to say i wouldnt be optimistic about this year as i am now...but more pessimistic that we would have a great year....Go Mike Smith....but man this guy Spags....is going to be a great coach somewhere.

DO YOU THINK SPAGS WAS GOING TO BRING THE GIANTS DEFENSE DOWN HERE WITH HIM? WE GOT WHO WE NEEDED........... PERIOD!

REV.2000 (2/7/2008)

DO YOU THINK SPAGS WAS GOING TO BRING THE GIANTS DEFENSE DOWN HERE WITH HIM? WE GOT WHO WE NEEDED........... PERIOD!

Relax REV....I am not upset about the Mike Smith hire...nor am i flaming it....

I don't remember seeing Spags on the field.

When you have four D-lineman that can put pressure on the QB like the Giant's guys do, it really opens everything else up for the defense. When (Falcons) you have to commit extra guys to the pass rush (LB's, Safeties) it creates holes for the offense to exploit.

I'm sure Spags is good coach, but he is not a great coach (yet) or some messiah.

ShaunnBigDin08 (2/7/2008)
REV.2000 (2/7/2008)

Relax REV....I am not upset about the Mike Smith hire...nor am i flaming it....

SORRY. SOMETIMES I GO OFF THE DEEP END. I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. I GET YOUR POINT. IT IS A GOOD ONE.

bgarcia28 (2/5/2008)
I am pretty sure that I was one of the earliest people to suggest that Spanuolo should be on our short list of HC candidates. I became aware of Spags from my Giant fan friends. There is no question that he is a fantastic DC. He may have been the best in the league this season. But before we lament "missing" him as a HC, keep this in mind:

1 He was mentored by Jim Johnson. Johnson is the designer of the defense and Spags is his star pupil.

2 Spags has never had to run an entire organization. He is a phenomenal X's and O's guy, but we do not know how well he can manage all the responsibilities. Can he handle balancing the O and the D? Can he handle all the personalities and the media stuff?

3 How much experience does Spags have in player evaluation? One of the selling points of Mike Smith was his astute evaluations of players. Can Spags match Smith's eye for talent?

4 How consistently can Spags excell as a DC? Mike Smith has been consistently one of the top DC's in this league. He has weathered a bounty of important injuries. Once opponents get a chance to see film of Spags' D, will he be as effective? You know that coaches will now have plenty of time to dissect Spags thoroughly.

I think Dimitroff made the right decision. Spags may turn out to be a great HC, but he may not be ready right now.

Great post and I agree 100% on everything.

Spags may become an excellent head coach when he gets the job somewhere, but there is absolutely no basis for argument to say he's ready for it or would be the right guy for Atlanta RIGHT NOW.

Mike Smith feels like the right hire for right now. He was hired because of shared philosophy and experience in the league. That is the kind of coach that winning franchises hire.