Falcons targeting lineman

rexfalcon

790 the zone Steak Shapiro stated on the radio this morning that he talked to TD during the superbowl. TD's assessment is that the team needs talent on the offensive line and the defensive line. Steak seems to think that the Falcons will go DT with the first pick in the draft.

well, I hope this is right but why in the world would Dimitroff just come out and give away draft strategy to local loudmouth talk show host - Shapiro?

I'm not bashing Steak, he's OK sometimes when he's not talking "politics of sport".

I just don't really see Dimitroff giving away his strategy. Of course, it makes sense that Dimitroff would build up the offensive and defensive lines.

If you look at where the Patriots have invested on 1st round picks, I think all the defensive linemen were 1st rounders (Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren) so Patriots strategy seemed to always be strong up front. On offensive line, I believe Logan Mankins was only 1st rounder but Pats obviously have strong offensive line (at least it was obvious before the SuperBowl:P;)).

So, this scenario does make sense, I just don't see why TD would offer it up for public consumption. It does seem that right now TD is a little to "open" with his plans - i think that is the part of the job that TD still has to learn - the "double secret" type stuff and what you can and cannot give away in interview settings.

Which follows my line of thinking:

1. Coach Smitty wants to build the lines on both sides.

2. This year's draft is loaded at QB, RB, and OTs, so why go with picking them so early on?

3. Draft for talent first. Dorsey and Ellis are two monumental talents at the position, one that we've been lacking at for years.

Makes alot of sense and I hope TD makes it happen, regardless of him giving away any so-called "strategy".

rexfalcon (2/5/2008)
790 the zone Steak Shapiro stated on the radio this morning that he talked to TD during the superbowl. TD's assessment is that the team needs talent on the offensive line and the defensive line. Steak seems to think that the Falcons will go DT with the first pick in the draft.

Sedrick Ellis would be a steal for us.

Ellis, Coleman, Lewis, Babineaux and a FA Grady Jackson? :)

I'm telling you this team was a few stops here and positive plays there from being very competitive last year. Good thing this draft is deep at OT too.

They get SE and I'm feeling better or at least more optimistic about this FO and Coaching staff.

Dimitroff didn't give away any secrets. Anyone with half a brain can see that we need help on the lines.

Our starting left tackle is 34 years old and coming off a blown ACL. Our starting right tackle is over 30 and coming off a blown ACL. Our primary backup OT is coming off a blown ACL. Our starting right guard has a tricky shoulder and was completely ineffective last year.

We lost one starting DT to a blown ACL and the other to another injury (can't recall what happened to Coleman). Not to mention, Coleman is also over 30 and has been injury prone.

Our lines are a mess. Anyone with any familiarity with football would tell you that the Falcons need to address their lines. Add in that the two best players in the draft are defensive tackles and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that we'll at least consider taking one.

Direwolf

direwolf (2/5/2008)
Dimitroff didn't give away any secrets. Anyone with half a brain can see that we need help on the lines.

Our starting left tackle is 34 years old and coming off a blown ACL. Our starting right tackle is over 30 and coming off a blown ACL. Our primary backup OT is coming off a blown ACL. Our starting right guard has a tricky shoulder and was completely ineffective last year.

We lost one starting DT to a blown ACL and the other to another injury (can't recall what happened to Coleman). Not to mention, Coleman is also over 30 and has been injury prone.

Our lines are a mess. Anyone with any familiarity with football would tell you that the Falcons need to address their lines. Add in that the two best players in the draft are defensive tackles and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that we'll at least consider taking one.

Sic-em, wolf! :D I agree 100%!

Direwolf

He didn't "give away" any kind of secrets. Its the most glaring holes on our team, even over QB. Our LT, C, RG need reworking and frankly the rookie at LG last year did not impress me one bit.

Defensively, Coleman is IMO finished as an impact player in the league. Injuries, age and flat out getting fat while recovering have taken its toll. Jamaal Anderson aka Superbust, no need to get into that. We need to bring Grady back at NT and if they want sure draft Dorsey for UT and cut Coleman.

All year, I had Dorsey ahead of Ellis... until Dorsey got drilled on that knee by the Auburn player and has been shaky ever since. I wouldn't mind having either, but after seeing Ellis absolutely dominate at the Senior Bowl, I am sold on him. They could not hold him back even on double teams. He is a beast.

As for O line, a LT is a must this draft. I don't think they should waste a 1st round pick on it though.

Beau J (2/5/2008)
All year, I had Dorsey ahead of Ellis... until Dorsey got drilled on that knee by the Auburn player and has been shaky ever since. I wouldn't mind having either, but after seeing Ellis absolutely dominate at the Senior Bowl, I am sold on him. They could not hold him back even on double teams. He is a beast.

As for O line, a LT is a must this draft. I don't think they should waste a 1st round pick on it though.

Ellis at 3, 4, or 5 overall would not make anyone in the Falcon Nation mad about the pick. :)

rexfalcon (2/5/2008)

Thats exactly what we need to do. All these nuts that want to draft a QB just dont understand football. Shockley was as good as any of these guys coming out this year when he came out in 06. He has sat 2 years just like any of the QB's coming out would have to do. We drafted our QB in 06 so we dont need to waste another pick on a QB.

greyhawk (2/5/2008)
This is no big secret and Dimitroff goes up another notch for quickly recognizing the problems we had last year.

LOL. Every GM or asst. GM out there pretty much knows another teams personnel weakness, it's their job day in day out. Most good fantasy football guys I know can tell you all 32 teams strenghts and weaknesses. It's being able to do something about it and guessing right on the human factor that is the trick

texasbirdfan (2/5/2008)
greyhawk (2/5/2008)
This is no big secret and Dimitroff goes up another notch for quickly recognizing the problems we had last year.

LOL. Every GM or asst. GM out there pretty much knows another teams personnel weakness, it's their job day in day out. Most good fantasy football guys I know can tell you all 32 teams strenghts and weaknesses. It's being able to do something about it and guessing right on the human factor that is the trick

But since Dimitroff was in charge of evaluating college talent, it's doubtful he bothered keeping track of every NFL team's problems

direwolf (2/5/2008)

Direwolf

Which leads to the logical conclusion that we need to draft McFadden in the 1st, & a QB at the top of the 2nd. ;)

Brookhaven (2/5/2008)
direwolf (2/5/2008)

Direwolf

Which leads to the logical conclusion that we need to draft McFadden in the 1st, & a QB at the top of the 2nd. ;)

If Dan Reeves were still running the draft...

Direwolf

g-dawg (2/5/2008)
well, I hope this is right but why in the world would Dimitroff just come out and give away draft strategy to local loudmouth talk show host - Shapiro?

I'm not bashing Steak, he's OK sometimes when he's not talking "politics of sport".

I just don't really see Dimitroff giving away his strategy. Of course, it makes sense that Dimitroff would build up the offensive and defensive lines.

If you look at where the Patriots have invested on 1st round picks, I think all the defensive linemen were 1st rounders (Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren) so Patriots strategy seemed to always be strong up front. On offensive line, I believe Logan Mankins was only 1st rounder but Pats obviously have strong offensive line (at least it was obvious before the SuperBowl:P;)).

So, this scenario does make sense, I just don't see why TD would offer it up for public consumption. It does seem that right now TD is a little to "open" with his plans - i think that is the part of the job that TD still has to learn - the "double secret" type stuff and what you can and cannot give away in interview settings.

I really don't think it's any big secret that our OL & DL need much, much improving. Now, if we do that in the draft or in FA, or both is probably something that is being inferred rather than an actual statement on what TD actually wants to do with the 1st pick. I don't think TD or anyone else in the FO knows exactly what we are going to do with the 1st pick. Heck, maybe every FA we target signs with us and we won't need to draft any linemen this year at all.