I kinda wish we would have hired Rex Ryan.

somecut8

Nothing against Mike Smith or anything and not saying that Rex Ryan will be better coach.

But I was checking out the FA list and saw a lot of good players that we could sign had Rex Ryan been our coach. Smith will probably run a solid 4-3 and have linebackers that are full time linebackers.

Ryan would have mixed things up. I'm huge on defense, and I would have loved to see a hybrid defense, and it would have been a blast to watch. I'd love to see OLBs becoming ends, ends becoming OLBs, etc and players moving around like crazy. I'd love to see players like Terrell Suggs and other tweeners play on defense. It would have just been fun to watch.

But anyways, that's just my thoughts. Mike Smith is a great hire and can't wait to see what he's going to do with a team. But at the back of my mind, I wanted to see a non-traditional defense.

If we have the players to run it effectively, we may still see some hybrid defenses with Smith and VanGorder.

I wouldn't expect them to do much more than solidify our 4-3 unless we have a solid draft and make a splash in free agency, though... even if we did hire Rex Ryan.

Honestly, I was expecting us to hire Ryan... but I'm content with Smith for now. He's a very very good coach.

Yeah me too. Ryan was one of my personal choices, but oh well. We have Smith now and we need to give the man a chance and time. All I'm looking for this season is improvement and signs that we're goin in the right direction. If we lose games they can't be blow out, i want our team to play well and be competitive on both sides of the ball.

I would've liked Ryan or Spagnuolo over Mike Smith... I know it's unpopular, but I really don't like Smith or the staff he brought with him. Unfortunately, on these message boards if you don't agree with everything the Falcons' braintrust does, you are labeled a "troll." Well a lot of the so-called "trolls" saw Petrino for what he was when he was first hired but whatever... We're stuck with Smith, might as well hope for the best.

falconva7 (2/5/2008)
I would've liked Ryan or Spagnuolo over Mike Smith... I know it's unpopular, but I really don't like Smith or the staff he brought with him. Unfortunately, on these message boards if you don't agree with everything the Falcons' braintrust does, you are labeled a "troll." Well a lot of the so-called "trolls" saw Petrino for what he was when he was first hired but whatever... We're stuck with Smith, might as well hope for the best.

Thats all we can do is hope.

falconva7 (2/5/2008)

You're entitled to your opinion and I don't think people who simply disagree with personnel decisions are trolls. It's the people who go out of their way to be obnoxiously negative and seemingly happy about us being stuck in the gutter who are a cancer to this fanbase.

People who create threads constantly just to bash our players or say we are doomed, constantly complaining, etc. Like if we won the Super Bowl, they'd complain about Norwood not getting enough carries or the game being too close or Blank being an idiot for not bringing us one sooner.

It's also ridiculous to me to see people hate on absolutely anyone this team brings in to be a coach and then come back on here when things don't pan out with this "I told you so" mentality. It's like... um, ok, good for you, our team still sucks why are you happy about it?

There's a difference between disagreeing and discussing or disagreeing and complaining/bitching/crying.

Jedi-Falcon (2/5/2008)
People in NY wanted Tom Coughlin fired very recently. How things change...

Fans in the northeast are generally very impatient... much like Atlanta fans.

Key difference being that those teams get support from their fans whether they win or lose 10 games and it's never been about one player alone to them.