Full offseason mock

neko

Dimitroff and Smith have a common vision for the direction of this team. The type of players that fit this vision are intelligent, hard-working / high motor, good character, physical, tough, and fast. I did my best to stick to these types of players because I think it is an excellent direction for the overall success of this team.

Free Agent pickups:

Corey Williams - DT - 6'4", 313 lbs, 28 yrs old - We need a solid DT to eat space and cause havoc since our DL is now the focal point of our attack. He is great against the run and pass.

Ken Hamlin - FS - 6'2", 206 lbs, 27 yrs - The best free safety on the market. With many pressing needs this year, as well as a weak FS class, it is better to solidify this position thru FA.

Rex Hadnot - G/C - 6'2", 325 lbs, 26 yrs - He is versatile, able to play G and C. Was coached by the great Hudson Houck. Solid backup - excellent depth.

Ernest Wilford - WR - 6'4", 218 lbs, 29 yrs - Good possession receiver who can also get downfield. Some competition for Jenkins. Our coaches are familiar with him from Jax.

Rocky Boiman - OLB - 6'4", 236 lbs, 28 yrs - An excellent special teams player and solid backup for all LB positions, SLB especially.

Travis LaBoy - DE - 6'3", 260 lbs, 27 yrs - Intelligent, non-stop motor pass rusher. Back-up for Abraham.

I spent a bit of money on FA here, though I dont think i have come near breaking the bank. A couple big $$ guys and some high quality depth. With the amount of cap room we have this year such signings should be considered modest.

THE DRAFT

TRADE: The falcons sign & trade DeAngelo Hall to the Detroit Lions for the 15th overall pick. Don't spin out, hear me out...

Disclaimer/Explanation - Hall is an exceptional player, and I dont think his outbursts have been such a big deal. I would love for him to stay on this team. However, being quite reasonable in my envisioning of this upcoming team, I think it is very possible he will not be a part of it. It is possible the new coaching staff does not feel comfortable with Hall's ability to maintain his ego from interfering with the team culture that they are attempting to produce. But more significantly, Smith ran a Cover 2 defense in Jax. In such a scheme, generally, a team does not need, nor should pay, high-priced CBs. It will be Hall's desire to want a big paycheck, which he should get, but which we should pass on. I imagine we will see a move towards bigger, more physical CBs who cost less to retain. This is part of that change.

Detroit is in dire need of CB help. Hall has said he wants to go to a winner, but I think in the end he will be content with a fat contract, especially after feeling a bit spurned by the Falcons. We aim for mid-first round value and get it. Sorry Hall.

...now the draft

1a Sedrick Ellis - DT - 6'1", 308, 4.83 - Explosive penetrator with an unstoppable motor. This D begins with the front 4 and Ellis would be a major force in the middle. He is a tornado in the pocket and we would be lucky to have such an elite player.

1b Jonathan Stewart - RB - 5'11", 230, 4.49 (pick from DET) - This is Major thunder to Norwood's lightning. Stewart is a complete back - he is fast, powerful, has great hands, and is fantastic in pass protection. We need more than a short yardage back to complement Norwood. Instead we need Norwood to complement our every down power back.

2a Gosder Cherilus - OT - 6'6", 315, 5.08 - It is quite possible that Cherilus can slip to us here. If so it would be a coup to pickup such an anchor for RT. A mauler. Superb run blocker with plenty of quickness for the strong side. He is smart, experienced, and has great intangibles.

2b Carl Nicks - OT - 6'4", 343, 5.15 - A behemoth who is incredibly athletic. Physical, and aggressive. This is our LT of the future. He is a bit raw but has all the tools to be a top-flight player. Major upside.

3a Josh Johnson - QB - 6'3", 195, 4.65 - A total QB, Josh is more ready for the pro game than many others in the draft this year. Has everything you want - mechanics, field vision, decision making, arm strength, accuracy, leadership, character, intelligence. Was coached by Jim Harbaugh and played in a pro style offense. Great runner too. Will need to put on some weight, and has the frame to do it.

3b (comp) Jonathan Goff - MLB - 6'4", 235, 4.63 - Big and athletic, intelligent, great tackler, good in zone coverage. Plays fast and hard, yet under control.

4 Charles Godfrey - CB - 5'11", 207, 4.35 - A very physical CB who is tough and strong. Great hitter. Also has incredible speed. Prototypical CB we could be seeing from this point forward.

5 Kendall Langford - DT/DE - 6'5", 275, 4.92 - Can play anywhere along the DLine. Great height for pass deflections. Is disruptive in the backfield. Stout at the point of attack. Strong and quick, instinctive, great work ethic. Lots of upside. Great depth and possibly starting material next to Ellis.

6 Brandon Coutu - K - 6', 200 - Booming leg, good accuracy. This position needs to be addressed in the draft. Local boy.

7a Bobbie Williams - FS - 6', 212, 4.47 - A ball-hawk. One of the best safeties in 1-AA. Can learn the ropes under Hamlin and become at least a great backup, maybe a lot more.

7b (comp) Sammie Stroughter - WR/KR - 5'11", 185, 4.43 - Incredibly fast and elusive runner. Will compete with Jennings for return duties and the WR slot. Has good receiving skills as well.

Depth Chart

LDE J Anderson K LANGFORD

NT C Williams T Lewis M Stanley

UT S ELLIS J Babineaux K LANGFORD

RDE J Abraham T LaBoy

BLB M Boley R Boiman M Wilkins

MLB J GOFF T Taylor

WLB K Brooking S Nicholas

LCB J Williams C GODRFREY O Lowe

RCB C Houston D Irons

SS L Milloy D Stone B Williams

FS K Hamlin J Williams O Lowe

WR-X R White L Robinson

LT T Weiner C NICKS R Foster

LG J Blalock D Batiste

C T McClure D Datish R Hadnot

RG T Clabo R Hadnot

RT G CHERILUS T Clabo R Foster

TE A Crumpler M Milner C Anderson

WR-Z M Jenkins E Wilford S STROUGHTER

QB C Redman D.J. Shockley J JOHNSON

RB J STEWART J Norwood J Snelling

FB O Mughelli C McIntyre

PK B COUTU

P M Koenen

KO M Koenen

KOR J Norwood S STROUGHTER

PR S STROUGHTER

*** One issue I already have is that I would prefer to have more of a veteran QB presence for Johnson to learn from. This may require keeping Leftwich instead of Shockley.

Until the combine...

Excellent, excellent job. I agree with basically everything you have happening. I believe that DHall will get traded too. I've felt this way for some time now. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, or not, but I see this happening. I think the trade makes a lot of sense too. I love the FA signings you have us making.

I love the draft picks. Ellis is a great, great pick. I'd probably rather have OT Anthony Collins than Carl Nicks, primarily because I don't know much about Nicks, and whether or not he is a future LT. Another good option for a Cover 2 CB would be Chevis Jackson, LSU.

Overall this is a great job. ;)

It's a good mock but the only thing i didn't like was taking a RB so high. Yes, he is amazing and i like Stewart too but we can get Forte which is like "Mini Stewart" in the 3rd and we could have gotten Ryan Clady or Chris Williams with the other 1st round pick. I still would love for the draft to go down like that though.

Norwood32 (2/4/2008)
It's a good mock but the only thing i didn't like was taking a RB so high. Yes, he is amazing and i like Stewart too but we can get Forte which is like "Mini Stewart" in the 3rd and we could have gotten Ryan Clady or Chris Williams with the other 1st round pick. I still would love for the draft to go down like that though.

i strongly considered that option because i like clady the best of all OTs. i am just not as confident about forte as i am about stewart. although overall i would be happy with either scenario.

neko (2/4/2008)
Dimitroff and Smith have a common vision for the direction of this team. The type of players that fit this vision are intelligent, hard-working / high motor, good character, physical, tough, and fast. I did my best to stick to these types of players because I think it is an excellent direction for the overall success of this team.

Free Agent pickups:

Corey Williams - DT - 6'4", 313 lbs, 28 yrs old - We need a solid DT to eat space and cause havoc since our DL is now the focal point of our attack. He is great against the run and pass.

Ken Hamlin - FS - 6'2", 206 lbs, 27 yrs - The best free safety on the market. With many pressing needs this year, as well as a weak FS class, it is better to solidify this position thru FA.

Rex Hadnot - G/C - 6'2", 325 lbs, 26 yrs - He is versatile, able to play G and C. Was coached by the great Hudson Houck. Solid backup - excellent depth.

Ernest Wilford - WR - 6'4", 218 lbs, 29 yrs - Good possession receiver who can also get downfield. Some competition for Jenkins. Our coaches are familiar with him from Jax.

Rocky Boiman - OLB - 6'4", 236 lbs, 28 yrs - An excellent special teams player and solid backup for all LB positions, SLB especially.

Travis LaBoy - DE - 6'3", 260 lbs, 27 yrs - Intelligent, non-stop motor pass rusher. Back-up for Abraham.

I spent a bit of money on FA here, though I dont think i have come near breaking the bank. A couple big $$ guys and some high quality depth. With the amount of cap room we have this year such signings should be considered modest.

THE DRAFT

TRADE: The falcons sign & trade DeAngelo Hall to the Detroit Lions for the 15th overall pick. Don't spin out, hear me out...

Disclaimer/Explanation - Hall is an exceptional player, and I dont think his outbursts have been such a big deal. I would love for him to stay on this team. However, being quite reasonable in my envisioning of this upcoming team, I think it is very possible he will not be a part of it. It is possible the new coaching staff does not feel comfortable with Hall's ability to maintain his ego from interfering with the team culture that they are attempting to produce. But more significantly, Smith ran a Cover 2 defense in Jax. In such a scheme, generally, a team does not need, nor should pay, high-priced CBs. It will be Hall's desire to want a big paycheck, which he should get, but which we should pass on. I imagine we will see a move towards bigger, more physical CBs who cost less to retain. This is part of that change.

Detroit is in dire need of CB help. Hall has said he wants to go to a winner, but I think in the end he will be content with a fat contract, especially after feeling a bit spurned by the Falcons. We aim for mid-first round value and get it. Sorry Hall.

...now the draft

1a Sedrick Ellis - DT - 6'1", 308, 4.83 - Explosive penetrator with an unstoppable motor. This D begins with the front 4 and Ellis would be a major force in the middle. He is a tornado in the pocket and we would be lucky to have such an elite player.

1b Jonathan Stewart - RB - 5'11", 230, 4.49 (pick from DET) - This is Major thunder to Norwood's lightning. Stewart is a complete back - he is fast, powerful, has great hands, and is fantastic in pass protection. We need more than a short yardage back to complement Norwood. Instead we need Norwood to complement our every down power back.

2a Gosder Cherilus - OT - 6'6", 315, 5.08 - It is quite possible that Cherilus can slip to us here. If so it would be a coup to pickup such an anchor for RT. A mauler. Superb run blocker with plenty of quickness for the strong side. He is smart, experienced, and has great intangibles.

2b Carl Nicks - OT - 6'4", 343, 5.15 - A behemoth who is incredibly athletic. Physical, and aggressive. This is our LT of the future. He is a bit raw but has all the tools to be a top-flight player. Major upside.

3a Josh Johnson - QB - 6'3", 195, 4.65 - A total QB, Josh is more ready for the pro game than many others in the draft this year. Has everything you want - mechanics, field vision, decision making, arm strength, accuracy, leadership, character, intelligence. Was coached by Jim Harbaugh and played in a pro style offense. Great runner too. Will need to put on some weight, and has the frame to do it.

3b (comp) Jonathan Goff - MLB - 6'4", 235, 4.63 - Big and athletic, intelligent, great tackler, good in zone coverage. Plays fast and hard, yet under control.

4 Charles Godfrey - CB - 5'11", 207, 4.35 - A very physical CB who is tough and strong. Great hitter. Also has incredible speed. Prototypical CB we could be seeing from this point forward.

5 Kendall Langford - DT/DE - 6'5", 275, 4.92 - Can play anywhere along the DLine. Great height for pass deflections. Is disruptive in the backfield. Stout at the point of attack. Strong and quick, instinctive, great work ethic. Lots of upside. Great depth and possibly starting material next to Ellis.

6 Brandon Coutu - K - 6', 200 - Booming leg, good accuracy. This position needs to be addressed in the draft. Local boy.

7a Bobbie Williams - FS - 6', 212, 4.47 - A ball-hawk. One of the best safeties in 1-AA. Can learn the ropes under Hamlin and become at least a great backup, maybe a lot more.

7b (comp) Sammie Stroughter - WR/KR - 5'11", 185, 4.43 - Incredibly fast and elusive runner. Will compete with Jennings for return duties and the WR slot. Has good receiving skills as well.

Depth Chart

RDE J Abraham T LaBoy

MLB J GOFF T Taylor

RCB C Houston D Irons

WR-X R White L Robinson

LG J Blalock D Batiste

RG T Clabo R Hadnot

FB O Mughelli C McIntyre

PK B COUTU

P M Koenen

KO M Koenen

PR S STROUGHTER

*** One issue I already have is that I would prefer to have more of a veteran QB presence for Johnson to learn from. This may require keeping Leftwich instead of Shockley.

Until the combine...

i know sum ppl wont like sumthin im gonna say but with ur second first round pick i tihkn QB is a bigger need right now and they might not go RB but go wit hBrohm if he is there if not i belive u have made the right pick but id go QB prob in second not wait till second day (cause they switched 3rd round to the second da yof draft) to chose a QB

Boley59 (2/4/2008)
i like it overall and agree with most all of it except for j williams as our new starting corner. If we make that deal we need to pick up cb help earlier in the draft or in free agency!

that is a valid point and one i considered greatly with the trade of hall, however i think it is very possible that the new scheme and responsibilities of our CBs will enable williams to be a solid player for us. it could suit his strengths nicely.

neko (2/4/2008)

i strongly considered that option because i like clady the best of all OTs. i am just not as confident about forte as i am about stewart. although overall i would be happy with either scenario.

I like Clady too and if we were to draft 5th and Jake Long, Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey, and Darren McFadden are gone i would take Clady in a heartbeat. Matt Ryan is sh*t.

Norwood32 (2/4/2008)
neko (2/4/2008)

I like Clady too and if we were to draft 5th and Jake Long, Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey, and Darren McFadden are gone i would take Clady in a heartbeat. Matt Ryan is sh*t.

i totally agree. if we pick at 5 clady would be my choice as well.

Draftnut57 (2/4/2008)
Very nice draft , but Im not as big a Gosder Cherilus fan as some , love most picks thou.

BTW ? No OTs in Facy ??? Very bad Idea to not have not just one but two , I think that is the most needed pos in FA for us.

i think weiner has another year in him for us, and he would be a good teacher for the rooks. gosder i believe can be thrown in the fire at RT, but nicks will take a little time. though it would not be a bad idea at all to add another T to provide some insurance depth/starter and additional vet leadership. someone who can play G too.

as for gosder, i do think he would make a pretty good tackle, but also if he fell to the 2nd i would consider that great value. i was just aiming for a couple top shelf road graders who would also be solid (enough) at pass protection.

neko (2/4/2008)

Free Agent pickups:

THE DRAFT

...now the draft

Depth Chart

RDE J Abraham T LaBoy

MLB J GOFF T Taylor

RCB C Houston D Irons

WR-X R White L Robinson

LG J Blalock D Batiste

RG T Clabo R Hadnot

FB O Mughelli C McIntyre

PK B COUTU

P M Koenen

KO M Koenen

PR S STROUGHTER

Until the combine...

i really like the offseason mock.. i agree with all the moves except for the d-hall trade but it is still a good move because i like the johnathan stewart pick.. so overall i like it

I like what you have done there good work.

I do think that leftwich makes the team this year. He will make the team over shockley.

I like shockley, but he is unproven and Leftwich has been in battles with the head coach.

I think that a full training camp with the guy will prove that he needs to be on this team in SOME capacity. Not necessarily as the starter but he would be a GREAT backup. If redman goes down, we then would have 2 guys with zero starts in the NFL. That is a lot to put on those guys.

Norwood32 (2/6/2008)
trubirdfan4life (2/6/2008)
as a 7th KR I really would like to try out Nile Legania, little know guy from Wayne State.

the guy runs a 4.24

Brian Witherspoon is better and faster, ran a 4.19

yea, i am not certain yet on my late round KR and FS picks. i dont know quite enough about all of them to make a solid choice right now, so i am definitely open to hearing about other possibilities.

trubirdfan4life (2/6/2008)
I like what you have done there good work.

I do think that leftwich makes the team this year. He will make the team over shockley.

I like shockley, but he is unproven and Leftwich has been in battles with the head coach.

I think that a full training camp with the guy will prove that he needs to be on this team in SOME capacity. Not necessarily as the starter but he would be a GREAT backup. If redman goes down, we then would have 2 guys with zero starts in the NFL. That is a lot to put on those guys.

i agree with you about leftwich. initially i chose shockley because i think he has pretty good potential, but im thinking it is much more important to have a decent veteran in the rotation for a stable backup and mentor to the new qb. shockley may have to go, unless we choose to carry 4.

• 4 weeks later...

Atlanta Falcons 2008 Off-season Mock

Sign:

Jabar Gaffney great hands, not an elite receiver but a for sure help, better than Joe Horn.

Maurice Williams One of the best lineman in free agency already in talks with the falcons

Boss Bailey We need a MLB and Jay Leman might not be able to start immediately.

Jacob Bell Another top OL one of the top in the league.

Renaldo Hill is not a top CB but would definitely add depth

Resign:

Michael Boley

Tyson Clabo

Michael Koenen

Chauncey Davis

Chris Redman

Already Signed:

Michael Turner

Ben Harstock

Erick Coleman

Von Hutchins

Trade:

DeAngelo Hall traded to the NY Giants for the #31 Pick.

Kynan Forney for a fifth round pick.

Release:

Joey Harrington gave him a chance didn t work out.

Warrick Dunn I was amazed when I first heard about it but it would clear 3 Million Cap Salary with the release of the over aged RB.

Chris Crocker Just signed Erick Coleman him a Jimmy Williams will take over.

Joe Horn too old only reason to keep him would be to help the young receivers like Laurent Robinson and Michael Jenkins.

Brian Finneran Has not played a down in at least two years I don t see why we even kept him in 2007.

2008 Falcons MOCK DRAFT

Round 1

Glenn Dorsey DT

#Round 1B (From Giants)

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB

Round 2

Sam Baker OL

Round 2B (From Houston)

Chris Johnson RB

Round 3

Andre Caldwell WR

Round 3B

(Compensatory from Seahawks/Patrick Kerney)

Josh Johnson QB

Round 4

Jay Leman MLB

Round 5

Dexter Jackson WR?KR

Round 6

Brandon Coutu K

Round 7

Adamm Oliver DE

Round 7B

(From Steelers for Allen Rossum)

D.J Wolfe S

Undrafted Free Agents

Dennis Dixon QB

Jonathan Zenon CB

Drew Miller C

Mine is similiar

Atlanta Falcons 2008 Off-season Mock

Sign:

Jabar Gaffney great hands, not an elite receiver but a for sure help, better than Joe Horn.

Maurice Williams One of the best lineman in free agency already in talks with the falcons

Boss Bailey We need a MLB and Jay Leman might not be able to start immediately.

Jacob Bell Another top OL one of the top in the league.

Renaldo Hill is not a top CB but would definitely add depth

Resign:

Michael Boley

Tyson Clabo

Michael Koenen

Chauncey Davis

Chris Redman

Already Signed:

Michael Turner

Ben Harstock

Erick Coleman

Von Hutchins

Trade:

DeAngelo Hall traded to the NY Giants for the #31 Pick.

Kynan Forney for a fifth round pick.

Release:

Joey Harrington gave him a chance didn t work out.

Warrick Dunn I was amazed when I first heard about it but it would clear 3 Million Cap Salary with the release of the over aged RB.

Chris Crocker Just signed Erick Coleman him a Jimmy Williams will take over.

Joe Horn too old only reason to keep him would be to help the young receivers like Laurent Robinson and Michael Jenkins.

Brian Finneran Has not played a down in at least two years I don t see why we even kept him in 2007.

2008 Falcons MOCK DRAFT

Round 1

Glenn Dorsey DT

#Round 1B (From Giants)

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB

Round 2

Sam Baker OL

Round 2B (From Houston)

Chris Johnson RB

Round 3

Andre Caldwell WR

Round 3B

(Compensatory from Seahawks/Patrick Kerney)

Josh Johnson QB

Round 4

Jay Leman MLB

Round 5

Dexter Jackson WR?KR

Round 6

Brandon Coutu K

Round 7

Adamm Oliver DE

Round 7B

(From Steelers for Allen Rossum)

D.J Wolfe S