Belichek possible suspension?..

vafalconfan

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...x.html?bcnn=yes

Now Spygate will rear its head in New England. Last night was the Giants' night. The next couple of weeks could belong to a Congressional committee trying to get to the bottom of who the Patriots videotaped, when they videotaped and what benefit they derived from videotaping. ESPN reported yesterday what I feel is the absolute truth: If the league or Congress interviews former Patriot video man Matt Walsh, and it's proven that the team videotaped opposing teams' defensive signals in violation of NFL rules, Bill Belichick will be suspended.

I found this prospect fascinating. This would conjure up Black Sox talk, etc..You can read the article on CNN/SI.

vafalconfan

I don't really think a suspension would accomplish anything.

Spying, or some version of, has been done at all levels in Pro Sports. If I were an NFL Coach I would be exploring the options and trying to see what information I could develop. I would be using the computer in a much larger way to develop opponent's tendencies compared to what current teams appear to be using technology to determine these things now. Maybe they are all, or maybe none of them are doing this, but I don't know why using a computer to compile information would be any different that what MLB does by compiling their "books" and tendency data for use during games. This so called signal stealing has been around forever, even Quitrino was hiding his face when he called plays.

This isn't something Belichick started this season.

michaelgee (2/4/2008)
I don't really think a suspension would accomplish anything.

Spying, or some version of, has been done at all levels in Pro Sports. If I were an NFL Coach I would be exploring the options and trying to see what information I could develop. I would be using the computer in a much larger way to develop opponent's tendencies compared to what current teams appear to be using technology to determine these things now. Maybe they are all, or maybe none of them are doing this, but I don't know why using a computer to compile information would be any different that what MLB does by compiling their "books" and tendency data for use during games. This so called signal stealing has been around forever, even Quitrino was hiding his face when he called plays.

This isn't something Belichick started this season.

Everything you've said is true...and will probably never change...doesn't make it right...it's still CHEATING....AND doesn't make him the GREATEST COACH that everyone is making him out to be. There will always now be the question of...would they have won all those championships just on his great coaching ability. Maybe we should just legalize it and allow everyone to do it....open practices...heck, just have all teams give their playbooks to the opposing teams...and THEN let's see how it plays out!

Goodell may reopen Spygate

Posted: Monday February 04, 2008 07:53AM ET

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will reopen an investigation into the Patriots' video practices if new evidence supports it, a league spokesman said yesterday prior to the team's 17-14 Super Bowl loss to the Giants. Spokesman Greg Aiello said the league would like to speak to former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh and added that Goodell is willing to meet with Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter. The Herald reported Saturday that a Patriots employee filmed the Rams' final walkthrough prior to Super Bowl XXXVI, though it's unclear if they were instructed to shoot the video, or if the coaches used the information.

Boston Herald

* We might start to hear the name Matt Walsh more and more as this story opens up..not good news for the patriots..

kschreck (2/5/2008)
YKW didn't start dog fighting either. The point is whether everyone is doing it or only one person if you get caught breaking a rule there should be consequences. The only way teams will see that they shouldn't do it is if they actually start cracking down on it.

Exactly, and what better way to send a message than to sit Bellicheck down for 4 games. I don't think they should go so far as to strip away their titles, unless there is conclusive evidence that they cheated on specific games (like the Superbowl vs. the Rams), as well as strong suspicions that they used the information. If they filmed the walkthrough the day before, and had the Rams first 20 plays or so, and they saw the defense alligning itself perfectly to prevent it almost down, then yeah, give that trophy to the Rams.

If they really did videotape the Rams walkthroughs right before the Super Bowl that year (and we can only assume they did it in other Super Bowls and God only knows how many more games) they need to be stripped of that SB win and any other wins they have that are tainted by cheating. Filming walkthroughs like that is getting a secret look at the actual plays and formations that team intends to run in the game and its a HUGE competitive advantage to know that and plan around it.