vick must REPAY SOME of the money

falconsstomp

Judge: Vick must repay $3.75M in bonus pay

Falcons had been seeking $20M from imprisoned QB

By STEVE WYCHE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/04/08

Imprisoned Falcons quarterback Michael Vick will only have to repay $3.75 million of the $20 million the team sought to recover after he was suspended for a federal conviction related to dogfighting last fall.

A ruling Monday by U.S. District judge David Doty overturned a previous decision by an arbitrator. He ruled that Vick had to repay $20 million in bonuses since he could not earn them because of his 23-month prison sentence and indefinite suspension by the NFL.

The Falcons could appeal Doty's ruling but they had no comment as of Monday afternoon. The team is expected to issue a statement later today.

"We're very pleased by the ruling," NFL Players Association general counsel Richard Berthelsen said in a phone interview. "It's an enforcement of something that we felt we negotiated in the 2006 extension of the collective bargaining agreement."

The players' union got owners to agree to provisions that allow owners to recoup signing bonus money but not other bonus money, even in contracts, like Vick's (10 years, $130 million), before the 2006 extension. Doty ruled that all but $3.75 million of the money the Falcons sought was non-signing bonus money.

Vick was been paid roughly $37 million in bonuses by the Falcons.

Should Vick, who remains on the roster, repay the Falcons $3.75 million, Atlanta would receive a credit for that amount toward the salary cap a year after receiving the money. If Vick never pays the money, the Falcons never receive the credit.

Atlanta had not planned to get any relief from the Vick case for 2008 but still project to have more than $20 million under the salary cap to use to sign free agents.

The salary cap is expected to increase from $109 million to $116 million. Atlanta also is expected to release some players to clear additional space to re-tool the roster under new general manager Thomas Dimitroff.

Vick will cost the team $7.57 million against the salary cap this season and more than $8 million in 2009.

More on ajc.com

july425 (2/4/2008)
Remember the original judgement was for $23 mil...and a lot of experts on the CBA said he really only owed $3-4 million.

oh...well why is everyone so down and not looking on the bright side..at least he is paying something back..that 3.75 mill can go a long way if blank scretches it far enough.

falconsstomp (2/4/2008)

The salary cap is expected to increase from $109 million to $116 million. Atlanta also is expected to release some players to clear additional space to re-tool the roster under new general manager Thomas Dimitroff.

More on ajc.com

Oh yeah.

Whoever gets cut is going to remember him for that.

THIS GUY, FALCONSSTOMP, HE DOESN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE MONEY, HE COULD CARE LESS. HE JUST WANTS TO TALK ABOUT VICK. HE IS VERY NEGATIVE WHEN IT COMES TO VICK, HE LOOKS FOR ANY OPPORTUNITY TO THREAD VICK. TO THIS I TELL HIM, :HOLD YOUR BREATH TILL THEY GET THE MONEY ........ IF THEY EVER DO."

Statick (2/4/2008)
falconsstomp (2/4/2008)

More on ajc.com

Oh yeah.

Whoever gets cut is going to remember him for that.

Whoever gets cut would likely have been cut regardless of the cap situation Vick's contract has caused. Anytime a new coach is hired, the roster gets re-tooled.

REV.2000 (2/5/2008)
THIS GUY, FALCONSSTOMP, HE DOESN'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE MONEY, HE COULD CARE LESS. HE JUST WANTS TO TALK ABOUT VICK. HE IS VERY NEGATIVE WHEN IT COMES TO VICK, HE LOOKS FOR ANY OPPORTUNITY TO THREAD VICK. TO THIS I TELL HIM, :HOLD YOUR BREATH TILL THEY GET THE MONEY ........ IF THEY EVER DO."

just because you feel like vick should be punished even more and doesnt deserve a 2nd chance in the nfl doesnt mean i have to feel the same way. i will support vick if and when he gets out, no matter if he is with the falcons or not..you haters will always have a deep hate for him, and thats you, i could care less. i dont hate vick, the person, i hate his actions in dogfighting. vick is human just like us and we all make mistakes.