McCain on Gay Marriage: Leave it up to the states.

Ramen

Ramen (2/4/2008)
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/14/mccain.marriage/

What's wrong with McCain's view of allowing states to handle gay marriage? I thought true conservatives believed in letting states make their own policies instead of expanding the size of the federal government.

Seems to me as though McCain is the TRUE conservative on this issue.

In case you have not noticed,the GOP is being overrun by left leaning republicans..

McCain and conservative should not be mumbled in the same sentence since he is a part of the whole problem!

savwboy savwboy (2/4/2008)
Ramen (2/4/2008)

What's wrong with McCain's view of allowing states to handle gay marriage? I thought true conservatives believed in letting states make their own policies instead of expanding the size of the federal government.

In case you have not noticed,the GOP is being overrun by left leaning republicans..

McCain and conservative should not be mumbled in the same sentence since he is a part of the whole problem!

What is the conservative position on the gay marriage amendment, then? Does "conservatism" mean using the federal government to usurp states rights?

If McCain's position on gay marriage is not conservative (whatever you think about his position on other issues), then what position would a "true" conservative take?

thesouphead (2/4/2008)

overrun? they put one in charge of the country.

That is kinda the point there poindexter..Nothing gets by you does it?

but the same people complaining about the lefty repubs are the same ones who svcked Bush's nuts for the past 7 years.

Conservatism is about the least amount of government intrusion as possible,simple as that..

Sure you can look at McCain and say he is more con on the gay marriage issue,but he is left leaning on many other issues..**** McCain made his name by bucking the whole conservative complex..

Of all the candidates in the race on both sides,we do not have one true conservative..

Ron Paul is conservative with an bad view of foreign affairs..

thesouphead (2/4/2008)
thesouphead (2/4/2008)

but the same people complaining about the lefty repubs are the same ones who svcked Bush's nuts for the past 7 years.

Depends on what you mean by your statement..Just because someone supports the war does not make them an kool-aid drinker..You can support a president on one issue and dissagree with another..

Conservatism is about the least amount of government intrusion as possible,simple as that..

Sure you can look at McCain and say he is more con on the gay marriage issue,but he is left leaning on many other issues..**** McCain made his name by bucking the whole conservative complex..

Of all the candidates in the race on both sides,we do not have one true conservative..

Ron Paul is conservative with an bad view of foreign affairs..

Yet one of the primary reasons why so-called conservatives hate McCain is precisely because of his vote on the gay marriage issue, where he took the truly conservative position on the issue.

thesouphead (2/4/2008)
thesouphead (2/4/2008)

Depends on what you mean by your statement..Just because someone supports the war does not make them an kool-aid drinker..You can support a president on one issue and dissagree with another..

yes.........yes it does. you supported the Iraq war...then you are a kool-aid drinker. sorry......that's the rules.

thesouphead (2/4/2008)
thesouphead (2/4/2008)
thesouphead (2/4/2008)

yes.........yes it does. you supported the Iraq war...then you are a kool-aid drinker. sorry......that's the rules.

If you say so..Never mind I think Bush is one of the most fiscally liberal presidents to carry the water..Nevermind the fact I think he sucks donkey ##### on the boarder issue..

Nevermind I thought the whole Dubai Ports sham was a joke..No child left behind,Harriet Myers I can go on and on..

Now could I have some purple flavored please?:cool:

Ramen (2/4/2008)

Correct.

thesouphead (2/4/2008)
thesouphead (2/4/2008)
thesouphead (2/4/2008)

If you say so..Never mind I think Bush is one of the most fiscally liberal presidents to carry the water..Nevermind the fact I think he sucks donkey ##### on the boarder issue..

Nevermind I thought the whole Dubai Ports sham was a joke..No child left behind,Harriet Myers I can go on and on..

Now could I have some purple flavored please?:cool:

you're one of the good ones, gleep glop.

Steve_Bartkowski (2/4/2008)
Ramen (2/4/2008)

The question is...if gay marriage is available in one state and not another, what happens if the gay spouses move from the supporting state to the non-supporting state. For example, let's say gay marriage and gay adoption are fully allowed in California. Then the gay married couple with kids moves to Georgia because of a job where gay marriage and gay adoptions are not allowed. What happens then? Would they still be able to file as married on state and federal taxes?

The gay married couple would probably take all matters into consideration upon their desire to transfer for a job, and doesn't need the Federal government to be the arbiter. Marriage laws are already different state by state, including the ages and relationships which are recognized and legal. So are probate laws and adoption laws. The question still boils down to whether or not this is a federal or state issue. According to the constitution this is a state issue.

John McCain is taking the constitutionally conservative stance on this issue and not the theocratically conservative stance. The latter took control of the Republican party well over a decade ago, and are showing themselves in their disdain for their leading candidate.