NEW STADIUM

goatehall

I have been hearing recently Arthur Blank and Rich Mckay talk about securing a stadium deal. What's wrong with the Ga. Dome? Besides the fact that there are quit a few people who want an open air stadium with grass do who need another stadium? Those who feel who need a new stadium are you willing to pay for it and where will it be located.

Blank has spent some money to upgrade the Ga. Dome so why now is he looking for a new stadium deal. I happen to like the Ga. Dome and that should be a second priority. Putting a winning team on the field should be the #1 priority. I know a new stadium ads value to a team but someone enlighten me on why the FO want to do this and do this now or in the near future?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one who would love to have an open air stadium like we had with Fulton Co Stadium......I think that if it is possible, why not just take the top off of the dome and replace the turf with grass.......Not sure if that is possible from an engineering standpoint, but it would keep the games where they are at.

retractable roof would be great. idk how much i would like us playing in the wind and stuff. i know that its good to have a team exposed to the elements but....i would rather have them in a dry enviornment. the retractable roof would be good though because not many teams would want to go into our house w/ 103 degree temps.

Glad you all want an open air stadium. Where will it be located and who is going to pay for it? The GA. Dome holds about 71k. New stadium mean increased prices and increased taxes. It would be different if the Falcons were putting a good product on the field. The teams that recently got new stadiums either did not have one like AZ or had one really old or have a winning teams like Giants, PAtriots, Colts, Bucs. The falcons and the Ga. dome do not fall into that category.

goatehall (2/4/2008)
Glad you all want an open air stadium. Where will it be located and who is going to pay for it? The GA. Dome holds about 71k. New stadium mean increased prices and increased taxes. It would be different if the Falcons were putting a good product on the field. The teams that recently got new stadiums either did not have one like AZ or had one really old or have a winning teams like Giants, PAtriots, Colts, Bucs. The falcons and the Ga. dome do not fall into that category.

I definately agree, we do not have the record or attendance to support building a new stadium, much less bigger one.

formul8or (2/4/2008)
goatehall (2/4/2008)

I definately agree, we do not have the record or attendance to support building a new stadium, much less bigger one.

around the time vick went to jail blank did an interview that said we wont be getting the stadium until around 2014-2016 and construction would begin around 2010 i think.

goatehall (2/4/2008)
I have been hearing recently Arthur Blank and Rich Mckay talk about securing a stadium deal. What's wrong with the Ga. Dome? Besides the fact that there are quit a few people who want an open air stadium with grass do who need another stadium? Those who feel who need a new stadium are you willing to pay for it and where will it be located.

Blank has spent some money to upgrade the Ga. Dome so why now is he looking for a new stadium deal. I happen to like the Ga. Dome and that should be a second priority. Putting a winning team on the field should be the #1 priority. I know a new stadium ads value to a team but someone enlighten me on why the FO want to do this and do this now or in the near future?

When you consistently put garbage on the field you have to find a way to get the attendance up and a new stadium does that. The dome isnt anywhere near what the most recent stadiums are like actually it is pretty sh1tty in comparison.

around the time vick went to jail blank did an interview that said we wont be getting the stadium until around 2014-2016 and construction would begin around 2010 i think.

4-6 years is a long time to build a stadium. It is only taking 2years to build the new Cowboys stadium. They started last year they will play the 2009 season there.

As far as 2010 like I said who is going to pay for it and where will it be located. From what I understand the city has not yet completed paying the bonds for the GA. Dome. IF Blank wants to pay for it then so be it. Don't think the people of Ga should be paying for it to benefit Blank if he is not putting a good product on the field.

i may be a pessimist but isn't that what owners usually do before they move a team? looking to get a new stadium deal and if it doesn't happen in the current city then they look for it elsewhere say los angeles which would build any type of stadium possible just to make an owner happy and get a team there? could this be what blank is doing? i don't know just a thought.

goatehall (2/4/2008)

4-6 years is a long time to build a stadium. It is only taking 2years to build the new Cowboys stadium. They started last year they will play the 2009 season there.

As far as 2010 like I said who is going to pay for it and where will it be located. From what I understand the city has not yet completed paying the bonds for the GA. Dome. IF Blank wants to pay for it then so be it. Don't think the people of Ga should be paying for it to benefit Blank if he is not putting a good product on the field.

4 years is not that long to build a stadium. he said at the earliest (2014) we would probably start construction in 2010. if we were to have it built by (2015-2016) we would obviously start construction after 2010.

When you consistently put garbage on the field you have to find a way to get the attendance up and a new stadium does that. The dome isnt anywhere near what the most recent stadiums are like actually it is pretty sh1tty in comparison.

So basically a new stadium would be a new garbage can. A new stadium does not equal increased attendance. The Phillips arena is new look at the Hawks attendance. The UOP stadium where the superbowl was is new and the Cardinals still do not have high attendance numbers and that team is about the same as the Falcons. New stadium does not necessarily equal increased attendance. How do you expect to fill the new stadium and you can fill the old one. Will people say hey lets go see the Falcons play b.c their stadium is so awesome? The only thing it may change would be the game day experience possible however the product the FO puts out is who will ultimated determine whether or not the stadium is filled. Texas Stadium is one of the oldest raggediest stadiums I have been to but even when the Cowboys were bad the previous years it was still full.

The owners that have secured new stadiums usually use the threat of moving as a way to get the funds they need. Jerry Jones didn't need to worry about that, the Cowboys ain't going NOWHERE, so he got his bond money easily. Blank would have to bypass the voters and get the legislature to get him that money because I really don't see it being approved by a ballot vote. They'll bring it up in some off-election year for Georgia politics.

BlacksburgHokie (2/4/2008)
It's a very nice facility, but it really should be open-air. I hope that the next stadium that they build goes back to that.

Atlanta will never have a traditional open air stadium again. You can take that to the bank. Why not? Because the stadium houses more than just the Falcons.

The SEC championship game moved from Birmingham to Atlanta because Atlanta had a domed stadium, and Birmingham didn't.

The Chik-fil-a (Peach Bowl) went from being a 4th tier bowl game (on par with the Liberty and Emerald Bowl) to just a step below a BCS bowl game (the only cold weather bowl game that can make that claim.)

An outdoor stadium would mean Atlanta would lose the SEC championship game and the Chik-fil-a Bowl would return to its Fulton County Stadium / Peach Bow days when it was little more than a minor blip on the bowl radar.

The city and state will never go along with a plan that would in any way damage the SEC Championship or Chik-fil-a Bowl. They just bring in too much money.

The best you can hope for is a retractable roof design like they have in Arizona.

Brookhaven (2/4/2008)
BlacksburgHokie (2/4/2008)
It's a very nice facility, but it really should be open-air. I hope that the next stadium that they build goes back to that.

Atlanta will never have a traditional open air stadium again. You can take that to the bank. Why not? Because the stadium houses more than just the Falcons.

The SEC championship game moved from Birmingham to Atlanta because Atlanta had a domed stadium, and Birmingham didn't.

The Chik-fil-a (Peach Bowl) went from being a 4th tier bowl game (on par with the Liberty and Emerald Bowl) to just a step below a BCS bowl game (the only cold weather bowl game that can make that claim.)

An outdoor stadium would mean Atlanta would lose the SEC championship game and the Chik-fil-a Bowl would return to its Fulton County Stadium / Peach Bow days when it was little more than a minor blip on the bowl radar.

The city and state will never go along with a plan that would in any way damage the SEC Championship or Chik-fil-a Bowl. They just bring in too much money.

The best you can hope for is a retractable roof design like they have in Arizona.

Or they can donate the old stadium to the city and still have bowl games played there while a new stadium is created.

Or they can donate the old stadium to the city and still have bowl games played there while a new stadium is created.

Ummm, who do you think currently owns the Dome? The state of Georgia does. I seriously doubt the city would allow the state to dump the Dome (and its maintanence costs) on the city.

The state/city is not going to pay for the cost to maintain two football stadiums (any more than thye did two baseball stadiums or two basketall/hockey arenas.) Any plan to build a new football stadium would include plans to destroy the old one if for no other reason than to save the cost of maintaining it.

Maintaining the Dome and a new open-air football stadium is not realistic economicly.

OK guys here is the skinny:

A modern day NFL owner HAS to own his stadium. Call it whatever vanity or a financial given.

To help make the new one work- you HAVE to get a commitment from the NFL for the Super Bowl like Jerry Jones did for his $1.2 billion egg.

The only way the Atlanta area ever gets a SB again after Ice Bowl is with a roof or retractable roof.

You will NOT get an open air only facility in your lifetime

A modern day NFL owner HAS to own his stadium. Call it whatever vanity or a financial given.

To help make the new one work- you HAVE to get a commitment from the NFL for the Super Bowl like Jerry Jones did for his $1.2 billion egg.

The only way the Atlanta area ever gets a SB again after Ice Bowl is with a roof or retractable roof.

The stadium in Miami is older than the Georgia dome and they are getting a superbowl in a year or two.

goatehall (2/4/2008)

The stadium in Miami is older than the Georgia dome and they are getting a superbowl in a year or two.

yup i forget where it will be held in the 08-09 season but the 09-10 season will be in miama AGAIN.... and then 10-11 will be in the cowboys new house.