Rod Coleman for Shaun Rogers, would you pull the trigger?

Lions get a veteran pass rushing DT that fits their Cover 2 scheme, Falcons get a massive 2 gap NT to clog up running lanes. Might as well throw in Dunn, Brooking, Gandy, Forney, Horn, or Weiner if they're dumb enough to take any of them off our hands.

They are the Lions after all.

We'll try to get Rogers down to a playing weight of 340 and ask him to defend the run instead of chasing QBs. Sign Grady Jackson to a small 1-2 year deal to rotate with him and Trey Lewis.

Regarding Coleman he's old, his salary is massive, he's small, injury-prone, rarely sees the field and is a non-factor in the run game, he never makes tackles for losses. I wouldn't even mind giving up a second day pick in addition to any of those players above. Rogers is 28 and one of the most talented and unblockable DTs in this game. He will also blow up kicks.

Babineaux had a breakout season and is ready to step in and replace Coleman. He had 45 hits, 3 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and 7 tackles for loss.

all day long!

People knock Rdogers for his ethics....well it doesnt seem that football is the top priority in Rods life either. He is beat up too much, and 2 recent major injuries were the result of carelesness in the offseason.

I 100% expect Coleman to be cut this offseason, so if we could get Rodgers into camp for him, and take it from there sure.

Corey Williams sucks and would be a horrible signing. The former 6th rounder recorded 1 of his 3 career tackles for loss this past season. Dont let sacks fool you into thinking someone's a good DT.

As for Shaun Rogers being lazy or whatever everyone loves repeating I'm fairly secure in the knowledge that you've never trained, practiced or played with him and are in no position to speak.

Anyone who thinks a healthy Coleman is a better DT than a healthy Rogers is delusional.

blunttokinplaymaker (2/5/2008)
Corey Williams sucks and would be a horrible signing. The former 6th rounder recorded 1 of his 3 career tackles for loss this past season. Dont let sacks fool you into thinking someone's a good DT.

As for Shaun Rogers being lazy or whatever everyone loves repeating I'm fairly secure in the knowledge that you've never trained, practiced or played with him and are in no position to speak.

Anyone who thinks a healthy Coleman is a better DT than a healthy Rogers is delusional.

Well, when a 28 year old DT who has all the talent in the world is being shopped around..that tells you something.

We should get him if we can because Haynesworth

is not going anywhere imo. Babineaux runs too well

to be inside and he should be moved to end. Then

again he is the Justin Tuck type tackle that may be

the wave of the future. He should be cross trained

at end at least.

I also find it unlikely that Haynesworth sees the open market. Even if he doesn't sign an extension he'll probably get tagged. He'll probably get tagged this year and walk next year if the Titans dont offer him enough guaranteed money for fear of injury.

Babineaux had a breakout season last year and is ready to replace Coleman but he doesn't weigh 300 pounds and can't hold the point of attack for a game or season. He should be used as a pass rushing DT and a run stopping DE as you suggested like Tuck on the Giants or Cullen Jenkins on the Packers. He could sub in for Abraham at RE in run situations. He already has experience doing this, as he was forced to in his rookie season (though he was not very productive stepping into this role).

blunttokinplaymaker (2/6/2008)
I also find it unlikely that Haynesworth sees the open market. Even if he doesn't sign an extension he'll probably get tagged. He'll probably get tagged this year and walk next year if the Titans dont offer him enough guaranteed money for fear of injury.

Babineaux had a breakout season last year and is ready to replace Coleman but he doesn't weigh 300 pounds and can't hold the point of attack for a game or season. He should be used as a pass rushing DT and a run stopping DE as you suggested like Tuck on the Giants or Cullen Jenkins on the Packers. He could sub in for Abraham at RE in run situations. He already has experience doing this, as he was forced to in his rookie season (though he was not very productive stepping into this role).

When you said "rookie season" you made me smile because

Babineaux didn't get the starting job and lay an egg. He has

gotten settled in and improved in confidence. Anderson either

rushes the qb or he can play inside! We have to get to their qb.