Wayne Gandy

Joe Horn

RESTRUCTURE or CUT/TRADE:

Keith Brooking

Warrick Dunn

RESIGN:

DeAngelo Hall

Michael Boley

Demorrio Williams (the price will be right, I think)

FREE AGENCY:

Grady Jackson - DT, Jacksonville

Alan Faneca - OG, Pittsburgh

DRAFT:

** Assuming we have the 4th pick and get a 4th rounder as comp. for Kerney

1 - Sedrick Ellis - DT, USC

Joins Lewis, Grady, Coleman, and Babs to make one of the most dominant interior DLs in the league. Smith likes strong DTs, and I think Ellis might actually end up being better than Dorsey.

2 - Chris Williams - LT, Vanderbilt

I think having so many dominant OTs in this draft will cause one of the best to fall to the early 2nd round, but he won't get past our pick here. He has all the tools to start at LT (from day one!) and made things look easy at the Senior Bowl.

2 - Gosder Cherilus - RT, Boston College

Again, lots of better OTs in this draft will cause him to drop, and we'll benefit. Cherilus is huge and could be a dominant RT.

3 - Matt Forte - RB, Tulane

Don't want to make it seem as though I was influenced by the Senior Bowl too much, but Forte ran hard during the game and he will be a good compliment to Jerious.

4 - Vince Hall - MLB, Virginia Tech

Questions about his size push him down in the draft, but make no mistake, this kid is for real. He could compete with Taylor for the starting job if Brooking is cut/traded. Bud Foster called Vince Hall the best player he's ever coached (and Bud Foster coached DeAngelo Hall).

4 - Brandon Coutu - K, Georgia

Can we just draft a kicker who can make a kick from beyond 47 yards???

5 - Davone Bess - WR, Hawai'i

Wes Welker showed how a good slot receiver can really change a game, and Davone Bess has all the traits that make a good one: runs good routes, catches the ball well, and can get YAC. Roddy, Laurent Robinson, and Bess would be a great trio.

6 - TRADED for - Matt Cassel - QB, New England

Cassel is smart and will probably never get a chance behind Brady. We're not investing too much in getting him, so we don't really have much to lose. I'd take him over almost all the QBs in this draft. At this point it's either Cassel or Brennan and I know some of you would go bananas if I chose Brennan haha.

7 - Fernando Velasco - C, Georgia

He can play guard and center, like Doug Datish, so he is solid depth here. Maybe he could replace McClure one day? I'm hoping he lasts until this pick, but it's hard to determine the last 2-3 rounds.

CHAAMPPPIOONSHIPPP!

Forgot to put UDFA and alternates:

UDFA - Haruki Nakamura - S, Cincinnati

1 - Alternate: Glenn Dorsey - DT, LSU

2 - Alternate: Sam Baker - LT, USC

2 - Alternate: Carl Nicks - RT, Nebraska

3 - Alternate: Mike Hart - RB, Michigan

4 - Alternate: Ben Moffitt - MLB, South Florida

4 - Alternate: Art Carmody - K, Louisville

5 - Alternate: Dexter Jackson - WR, Appalachian State

6 - Alternate: Colt Brennan - QB, Hawai'i

7 - Alternate: James Blair - OG, Western Michigan

falconva7 (2/4/2008)
CUT:

Byron Leftwich

Joey Harrington

Michael Jenkins

Lewis Sanders

Wayne Gandy

Joe Horn

RESTRUCTURE or CUT/TRADE:

Keith Brooking

Warrick Dunn

RESIGN:

DeAngelo Hall

Michael Boley

Demorrio Williams (the price will be right, I think)

FREE AGENCY:

Grady Jackson - DT, Jacksonville

Alan Faneca - OG, Pittsburgh

DRAFT:

** Assuming we have the 4th pick and get a 4th rounder as comp. for Kerney

1 - Sedrick Ellis - DT, USC

Joins Lewis, Grady, Coleman, and Babs to make one of the most dominant interior DLs in the league. Smith likes strong DTs, and I think Ellis might actually end up being better than Dorsey.

2 - Chris Williams - LT, Vanderbilt

I think having so many dominant OTs in this draft will cause one of the best to fall to the early 2nd round, but he won't get past our pick here. He has all the tools to start at LT (from day one!) and made things look easy at the Senior Bowl.

2 - Gosder Cherilus - RT, Boston College

Again, lots of better OTs in this draft will cause him to drop, and we'll benefit. Cherilus is huge and could be a dominant RT.

3 - Matt Forte - RB, Tulane

Don't want to make it seem as though I was influenced by the Senior Bowl too much, but Forte ran hard during the game and he will be a good compliment to Jerious.

4 - Vince Hall - MLB, Virginia Tech

Questions about his size push him down in the draft, but make no mistake, this kid is for real. He could compete with Taylor for the starting job if Brooking is cut/traded. Bud Foster called Vince Hall the best player he's ever coached (and Bud Foster coached DeAngelo Hall).

4 - Brandon Coutu - K, Georgia

Can we just draft a kicker who can make a kick from beyond 47 yards???

5 - Davone Bess - WR, Hawai'i

Wes Welker showed how a good slot receiver can really change a game, and Davone Bess has all the traits that make a good one: runs good routes, catches the ball well, and can get YAC. Roddy, Laurent Robinson, and Bess would be a great trio.

6 - TRADED for - Matt Cassel - QB, New England

Cassel is smart and will probably never get a chance behind Brady. We're not investing too much in getting him, so we don't really have much to lose. I'd take him over almost all the QBs in this draft. At this point it's either Cassel or Brennan and I know some of you would go bananas if I chose Brennan haha.

7 - Fernando Velasco - C, Georgia

He can play guard and center, like Doug Datish, so he is solid depth here. Maybe he could replace McClure one day? I'm hoping he lasts until this pick, but it's hard to determine the last 2-3 rounds.

CHAAMPPPIOONSHIPPP!

I like the focus on the trenches. I am curious as to why you didn't take a chance on Kevin O'connell (I think that his name) out of San Diego State in the later rounds since we traded for Cassell. I also think that Coutu or Serna will be available in the 5th or 6th for us to take.

I am not a fan of bringing Grady back and think Womack will be a cheaper option to Faneca. If we cut both Jenkins and Horn we need to get a FA WR. Good effort.

Matthew Pritts (2/4/2008)
You had me till you said Matt Cassell.Dude has never played substantial minutes in The League. You might as well draft a QB if you wanna go that route, IMO.

Cassell is basically a rookie who has learned under Brady and Belichik. I don't think there are any good QBs in this draft and I don't want to waste a pick in the first 4 rounds on a QB just to take one. I figured in the 6th we'll be able to get Cassell or Brennan, who have just as much potential as Woodson, Flacco, Ryan, etc. The only difference is we won't be financially handcuffed to a 6th round QB.

falconva7 (2/4/2008)
Matthew Pritts (2/4/2008)
You had me till you said Matt Cassell.Dude has never played substantial minutes in The League. You might as well draft a QB if you wanna go that route, IMO.

Cassell is basically a rookie who has learned under Brady and Belichik. I don't think there are any good QBs in this draft and I don't want to waste a pick in the first 4 rounds on a QB just to take one. I figured in the 6th we'll be able to get Cassell or Brennan, who have just as much potential as Woodson, Flacco, Ryan, etc. The only difference is we won't be financially handcuffed to a 6th round QB.

If you think Brennan is a more capable QB then Henne, Brohm, or even Ryan, then I have some oceanfront property in AZ. (to quote the great George Strait) to sell you. He'll be lucky to get drafted.

I don't see your logic at all.

scott24falcs (2/4/2008)
I like this mock, although I think it's wishful thinking that we will be able to get both Chris Williams and Gosder Cherilus in the 2nd round. I love the Cassel trade, but I would like for us to draft a QB early on as well. Nice job though.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I think that we have a shot at one of them at least (probably Cherilus), but I think Otah, Clady, Long, and Baker could all potentially go before them. Either way, I think we need to take 2 OTs with our first 3 picks.