Signs are pointing towards McFadden

rexfalcon

McFadden is the only player in the top 5 with the potential put fear in opposing defenses. History has shown that DT do not make impact when they come into the league. Here is the reasoning behind the Falcon's interest in McFadden:

1. Marketing- He is well known in the south due to the SEC and will generate buzz and ticket sales. McFadden has instant street credibility. The only pick that can appease the Vick Crowd. It will not be as big as Vick because he has never competed for a championships.

2. OT not a huge need- Weiner will move to LT and Clabo will stay at right. Falcons have 30 million in salary space and can afford to go after Wharton(Carolina) or Faneca. Two second round picks could secure a tackle like Williams from Vandy or Collins from Kansas.

3. Quarterback will not be key to Murlarkey's offense- They are now running a smash mouth ball controll offense. The Falcons need a play action quarterback like Andre Woodson or Falcco from Delaware. They could even draft Josh Johnson in the 4th round.

4. Running back is a need- It is clear that Dunn will not be back and Norwood is a situational back like Reggie Bush. Murlarkey has already stated that he is building a power running game behind Ovie.

rexfalcon (2/4/2008)
McFadden is the only player in the top 5 with the potential put fear in opposing defenses. History has shown that DT do not make impact when they come into the league. Here is the reasoning behind the Falcon's interest in McFadden:

1. Marketing- He is well known in the south due to the SEC and will generate buzz and ticket sales. McFadden has instant street credibility. The only pick that can appease the Vick Crowd. It will not be as big as Vick because he has never competed for a championships.

2. OT not a huge need- Weiner will move to LT and Clabo will stay at right. Falcons have 30 million in salary space and can afford to go after Wharton(Carolina) or Faneca. Two second round picks could secure a tackle like Williams from Vandy or Collins from Kansas.

3. Quarterback will not be key to Murlarkey's offense- They are now running a smash mouth ball controll offense. The Falcons need a play action quarterback like Andre Woodson or Falcco from Delaware. They could even draft Josh Johnson in the 4th round.

4. Running back is a need- It is clear that Dunn will not be back and Norwood is a situational back like Reggie Bush. Murlarkey has already stated that he is building a power running game behind Ovie.

The only pick that can appease the Vick crowd? Did you really say that

and if so why is that the case? Arkansas is about as country as it gets

I can't make the connection very clearly. He can't make half the cuts that

Norwood can and is a step down in excitement from a guy we already have.

If we win the battle in the trenches we will have excitement to spare.

rexfalcon (2/4/2008)

McFadden has instant street credibility.

His "street credibility" consists of bar fighting. DMC doesn't sound like a 'high character' sort of player that Blank and the FO need right now. If the O-line doesn't improve, DMC would = Dunn.

rexfalcon (2/4/2008)

No, drafting Dennis Dixon would appease the Vick crowd.

Appease the Vick crowd? I didnt know the team drafted players to appease anyone. Blank has stated that they will draft substance over flash. While DM is an excellent player this team will draft who they feel will positively impact this team with ZERO regard to the Vick crowd or any other crowd.

While this might be addressed in Free agency as you state, to proclaim that OT or even OL in general is not a huge need just tells me that you are smoking some really good stuff!

Again, this team needs a QB in a very bad way. Joe Flacco is a play action QB? How much playaction did he use while in the shotgun all career long in Delaware? The guy had to learn how to take a snap from center and learn 5 and 7 step drops from the coaches at the senior bowl.

RB is a need but this draft is loaded with RB talent. We have a McFadden in Norwood and need a bruiser like Stewart to complete to puzzle.

And yes to who posted "Winning sells tickets" and it does it more than flashy guys or Vick or McFadden. If you win,they will come.

1. I would be shocked if we don't pick DT with our 1st pick. It was proved again last night defense wins.

2. The draft is deep in OL, RB and QB. We can build the line thru rounds 2-4. Look for the RB to be in late rd 2 or early 3.

3. Plenty of QB's to pick from including Flacco. But don't forget about Ainge and Henne either. Not many teams are in the market for QB. Let the few fight over Ryan and Brohm. Redman is going to start anyway.

4. I am interested in when we will address MLB. We need a big time player who tackles before being drug down the field for 5 yards. Depending on the defensive play called they will have to fill the gap or play coverage acrosss the middle. Brooking just can't get it done.

Yeah, we saw what a great difference maker a big name running back was last night with Maroney too.

Although I wouldn't be opposed to McFadden, our first pick needs to be Ellis or Dorsey. The defensive line is what won that SB last night. That's where we need to start if we've got any brains.

McFadden would be my 3rd choice though if both DTs are gone when we pick. Then I might have to default to Jake Long although I'd still consider picking him 5th a bit of a reach compared to the OTs that have been selected in past drafts and their "supposed" potential and ability.

celtik

rexfalcon (2/4/2008)

I couldn't agree any more! I also think that the Falcons can address their needs at OL through free agency. There are so many talented OL's that may end up being FA's and as Blank stated we have a boat load of money we are going to spend!

rexfalcon (2/4/2008)

very good post

Id go JJ or Dennis Dixon in the 3rd or 4th because they give you everything that all the top prospects give you in the passing game + there mobility will only help McFadden & our running game.

Id try to trade Dunn, we can prob pick up a 3rd or 4th for him.

id go in the same direction Minn went in, build that line up & pound that football. The difference is we will have the $ to sign a vet QB to keep us floating until Dixon/JJ/Draft Pick is ready to go in a year or two. A good running game will take so much pressure off our young QB (as opposed to mv who was thrown into games & expected to win them himself).

Mcfadden iz aight but i would have to stay wit da little dude out a michigan MIKE HART, everybody overlookes him but he iz da man n he has proven it, in draftin him we could trade our high first to a different team to get a lower first round pick up mike hart n get another player to address one of the many disastaras spots da falcons have or dey could get another pick with tradin down either way it iz a win win u gots to go mike hart, n if u dont belive me jus think bout it mike hart iz da best

rexfalcon (2/4/2008)

We all know his ability ON the field, but is he a future felon ??

BayouFalFan (2/4/2008)
1. I would be shocked if we don't pick DT with our 1st pick. It was proved again last night defense wins.

2. The draft is deep in OL, RB and QB. We can build the line thru rounds 2-4. Look for the RB to be in late rd 2 or early 3.

3. Plenty of QB's to pick from including Flacco. But don't forget about Ainge and Henne either. Not many teams are in the market for QB. Let the few fight over Ryan and Brohm. Redman is going to start anyway.

Bayou, I am in 100% agreement!! If we don't pick a d-lineman first, I will be shocked. I think we can pick up a great bruising RB later on, as well as a QB and O-line. I am thinking we will be picking Dorsey or Ellis as a DT, or Chris Long (DE).

4. I am interested in when we will address MLB. We need a big time player who tackles before being drug down the field for 5 yards. Depending on the defensive play called they will have to fill the gap or play coverage acrosss the middle. Brooking just can't get it done.