Tonight should have an impact on our draft

Nerdy Bird

falcon1fan (2/3/2008)
I dont think it was N.E. o line as much as the N.Y pass rush. The are great at what they do and they showed it tonight. Give credit where credit is due. I am not sure any line could have stopped them.

The point he was making is if your QB is under constant pressure even the Brady's of the world look mediocre..He was implying our line needs first attention..

I do think we need to pick up another defensive threat to compliment Abe, but defense wasn't a giant problem for us, we just weren't able to score enough points this season. We have to beef up the o-line to give our QB and RB more time and blocking to let them get into the endzone more often.

btrain5489 (2/3/2008)
falcon1fan (2/3/2008)
I understand. I just think the oppisite. Get bull rushing def. lineman and go in that direction. When healthy and prepared I dont think our o line is as bad as everyone thinks.

You're mistaken if you think we have a playoff quality d.

I am rallying to draft defense. How in the world did you get playoff quality d from my post. I think you should re read what I wrote.

The really sad thing is, is that we have no clue how good or bad our offensive line actually is. We haven't had balance in two years, and I mean true balance. Sure Dunn and Vick posted 1000 yard seasons last year but you can't make a D stay honest with QB rushing and Dunn got almost half of his yards in the first two games last year and everything went south. When you have a D that can just pin their ears back every play because we have a fossil at RB that cant get any yards consistantly you dont really have a recipe for sucess, sorry.

Norwood has averaged 6 ypc for the past two years behind the same offensive line, you do the math. We need to establish balance and that is just a cut of Dunn away, we need an every down back though. Its defianantly not Dunn.

tybarry (2/3/2008)
Even Tom Brady isn't perfect when the o-line breaks down. Ignore his stats for the game and all that and just open your eyes and see that we need to address our o-line this off season before we even think about getting another QB.

You have it backwards. We should want to address the Dline after that game.

This game further proved that an elite pass rush can prevail over elite pass protection.

busboyisback (2/4/2008)

This game further proved that an elite pass rush can prevail over elite pass protection.

Exactly. We saw it when the Chargers played the Titans the first time this year as well. To their credit, the Chargers recovered well in their playoff meeting, but in three out of four matchups between these four teams, the exceptional defensive line disrupted the exceptional offensive line.

I have been making the analogy that pass-rushers are the NFL equivalent of starting pitching. The analogy also fits in this regard in that good pitching beats good hitting. Good disruption is proving to beat good blocking in the current NFL.

We need to figure out a way to bring in at least two if not more DL players who can spear a QB on a consistent basis.

Warningx13 (2/4/2008)
The really sad thing is, is that we have no clue how good or bad our offensive line actually is. We haven't had balance in two years, and I mean true balance. Sure Dunn and Vick posted 1000 yard seasons last year but you can't make a D stay honest with QB rushing and Dunn got almost half of his yards in the first two games last year and everything went south. When you have a D that can just pin their ears back every play because we have a fossil at RB that cant get any yards consistantly you dont really have a recipe for sucess, sorry.

Norwood has averaged 6 ypc for the past two years behind the same offensive line, you do the math. We need to establish balance and that is just a cut of Dunn away, we need an every down back though. Its defianantly not Dunn.

I have been saying this for awhile now, Vick just hid how bad our offense really was. Any team where the QB "has to" run for over 1000 yards in a season is in trouble. I don't think our defense needs a lot of work, maybe get a DT and a safety, but our priority should be on offense (not meaning a QB).

busboyisback (2/4/2008)

You have it backwards. We should want to address the Dline after that game.

Exactly. We have two ELITE pass rushers that will instantly make our defense better. This and perhaps a MLB next year will put our team back on the winning side.