I e-mailed Scott Wright/NFL Draftcountdown regarding Falcons 1st rd pick

SoCalFalconFan (2/3/2008)
The Cush (2/3/2008)
The draft is loaded with linemen, but how many PURE LTs are there in this draft? Clady, Williams, and Baker will probably all go in the first. The other guys could turn out to be really good LTs, but there are questions to whether they will be able to.

If you want to be certain on your LT, better get him in Round 1, and that's why I say get a guy like Clady that can start from Day 1 for a decade. If you sign a guy like Corey Williams in FA, it won't make any sense to spend that high of a pick on a DL, and tie that much money into the DL with so little invested on the other side of the ball.

Nice post, Cush. This is, in fact, a very deep draft in several positions. OL, QB, and RB are very deep in my opinion. This is all going to boil down to dollars and semantics. Is the FA cheaper than the 1st rounder? Is the FA more or as talented as the 1st rounder? And with the draft being so deep, it affords the Falcons the ability to be a lot more creative. For instance, instead of going for Williams or Stroud in FA, they could easily make the argument that Ellis would be the better choice. He would probably come at about 10 million cheaper than either of those top tier FA DT's. I could be wrong on those numbers, so don't hold me to them. ;) But you get the idea. That is what is going to be the rudder of this process. I would think that McFadden would come at a slightly higher price than Turner in FA. Could be wrong there too. What are you thoughts on the difference in value/price of 1st rounders and top FA's? I mean, aside from the obvious "youth" argument?

I'm not sure on cap numbers, but picking at 3 is going to be very costly, whomever the pick is. The best case scenario in my mind, and I've went over this a lot, is trading down and getting Clady. There are no franchise LTs in Free Agency. There are some decent ones, but none as talented as Clady. But on the D-Line, Corey Williams is likely to be a Free Agent (The Pack drafted a first round DT last season and have good depth at the position). Now if Atlanta can clear up 30 million in cap room, they can front load his contract and give him a nice roster bonus in his first season. That's going to be very attractive for a guy to get a majority of his money right away.

By trading down, you also add more picks to your team, at a lower cost. You get Corey Williams in FA and Clady in the draft, and the knowledgeable football fans are going to love it and recognize it as a step in the right direction.

Now I'm not sure if D. hall will be traded, but let's say he is and the Falcons get a mi-first for him. Then you can get that splash guy like Rashard Mendenhall or Jonathan Stewart to fit your running game. By trading down originally, you give yourself another 2nd rounder and likely 3rd, and you can get that corner to replace Hall, still get another DT like Pat Sims, and still have another 2nd rounder with possibly three 3rds.

If I'm drafting a LT, I want it to be a pure one if I can get one. Clady fits that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cush (2/3/2008)
I doubt the Falcons even know who they are going to draft yet, particularly because they haven't even entered FA yet.

I'm starting to disagree with a lot of what Scott says. Yesterday, CSTV talked to him over the phone at halftime of Texas vs. the Nation, and he said Darren McFadden was the only elite player in this draft. HUh???

Ryan is a Dolphin or a Chief (if they win the coin flip for #3).

The Cush (2/3/2008)
SoCalFalconFan (2/3/2008)
The Cush (2/3/2008)
The draft is loaded with linemen, but how many PURE LTs are there in this draft? Clady, Williams, and Baker will probably all go in the first. The other guys could turn out to be really good LTs, but there are questions to whether they will be able to.

If you want to be certain on your LT, better get him in Round 1, and that's why I say get a guy like Clady that can start from Day 1 for a decade. If you sign a guy like Corey Williams in FA, it won't make any sense to spend that high of a pick on a DL, and tie that much money into the DL with so little invested on the other side of the ball.

Nice post, Cush. This is, in fact, a very deep draft in several positions. OL, QB, and RB are very deep in my opinion. This is all going to boil down to dollars and semantics. Is the FA cheaper than the 1st rounder? Is the FA more or as talented as the 1st rounder? And with the draft being so deep, it affords the Falcons the ability to be a lot more creative. For instance, instead of going for Williams or Stroud in FA, they could easily make the argument that Ellis would be the better choice. He would probably come at about 10 million cheaper than either of those top tier FA DT's. I could be wrong on those numbers, so don't hold me to them. ;) But you get the idea. That is what is going to be the rudder of this process. I would think that McFadden would come at a slightly higher price than Turner in FA. Could be wrong there too. What are you thoughts on the difference in value/price of 1st rounders and top FA's? I mean, aside from the obvious "youth" argument?

I'm not sure on cap numbers, but picking at 3 is going to be very costly, whomever the pick is. The best case scenario in my mind, and I've went over this a lot, is trading down and getting Clady. There are no franchise LTs in Free Agency. There are some decent ones, but none as talented as Clady. But on the D-Line, Corey Williams is likely to be a Free Agent (The Pack drafted a first round DT last season and have good depth at the position). Now if Atlanta can clear up 30 million in cap room, they can front load his contract and give him a nice roster bonus in his first season. That's going to be very attractive for a guy to get a majority of his money right away.

By trading down, you also add more picks to your team, at a lower cost. You get Corey Williams in FA and Clady in the draft, and the knowledgeable football fans are going to love it and recognize it as a step in the right direction.

Now I'm not sure if D. hall will be traded, but let's say he is and the Falcons get a mi-first for him. Then you can get that splash guy like Rashard Mendenhall or Jonathan Stewart to fit your running game. By trading down originally, you give yourself another 2nd rounder and likely 3rd, and you can get that corner to replace Hall, still get another DT like Pat Sims, and still have another 2nd rounder with possibly three 3rds.

If I'm drafting a LT, I want it to be a pure one if I can get one. Clady fits that.

i like how u think, sir. but i am so against trading hall.

Scott Wright makes a valid point. This is an OT-heavy draft. Although OT is a good idea, the weakest part of our OL is at the interior, so OT does not have to be an early round priority. The Poet was also dead on. The Falcons need to put fannies in those seats. QB's attract attention.

The problem is that our defense is excruciatingly weak up the middle. Our OL has the same problem. We have the opportunity to draft an impactful DT this year. Like so many other board members, I wanted Okoye last year and Tommie Harris before that and Luis Castillo before that.

I can not judge QB's at all. I have a consistent history of picking the wrong QB's year after year. So, I will refrain from backing any one prospect. If Dimitroff wants to draft a QB in the first round, then I will back him 100%.

However, he has to figure out a way to improve the DT talent. According to the recent AJC article, Blank says we will be major players in Free Agency. Could that mean that we will be going after Haynesworth?

Don't laugh, he could fill a big need. Signing him would allow Dimitroff to go after the BPA on his board. If that player happens to be Ryan....then OK.

a consensus? You must be kidding...

any serious Falcon Fan would have heard by now that Thomas Dimitroff is calling the shots now.

Drivel from these speculations from the Madden crowd mean absolutely nothing.

No matter how many Mock Draft posts that happen, they mean absolutely nothing.

When the draft starts we will find out who TD picks. Then and only then will the draft make sense.

Personally, as much as I like Jake Long I wouldn't dream of taking him in round one if I were the Falcons. Offensive tackle is one of the strengths of this draft and there is going to be EXCELLENT value on the board at the top of round two.

Thanks for the e-mail!

Ah Ha!! Exactly what i HAVE been saing for the last two months and I had no idea what anybody else thought , These things are evident to those of us who follow the draft closely every year . I don't come up with what I think from any of these guys but the thing is called ( Common Sense ) And also all the success of the OL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in the last 5 years can help a fan to come to the right conclusion.

When sombody like Wright says it people believe it , when I say it people are not sure . That's OK , Just use your common sence on draft philosophy , Like I say ever year I always want the best player for the pick . Example when the draft is deep at OT and RB in this draft which is true not just an example , well common sense is take what you can't get latter in the first . And DT is very slim pickings , some will say there are a few good DTs in the 2nd and we pick high , Your right , but then you miss out on those great deals at OT in the 2nd , plus there are 2 of hte best DT prospects that has come out in years in the top of round one that we could get to boost our D# into one of the best D# we have in years.

In other words I always make my Mocks with Which positions will have the best players per round , and if lets say there will be 2 good MLBs in the 4th round , then wait and get good value in the 4th for our MLBer need. That dosn't mean there will not be a great one in the 1st round , it just means you can get more for your money in the 4th just like when we took Boley in the 5th round and see what we got .

Sicne I've have gone this far I will also say I would always take OL or DL in the frist two rounds unless we needed a QB . If thye want Ryan who I do like but would not take him hiigh , I would still take one of the top 2 DTs with our top 5 pick and then trade back up like Clev did last year to get him , Personally I would wait and take Flacco with our #50 of #66 pick .

Petrino is NOT my hero (2/3/2008)
um... did he forget about how deep RB is... thats a little hypocritical and stupid... who cares if its deep... you want the best.... And Jake Long IS the best left tackle in the draft... Mcfadden is a joke... if you watch him play he has no vision and cannot follow a blocker... i would much rather have a mendenhall stewart charles or davis... for someone who does that for a job i would think he could do better then matt ryan and mcfadden

Your right and exactly what I was thinking , I know he would have to agree that this RB class is the best in years. So he is not using his own stratigy. ;)

The Cush (2/3/2008)

Well ,if you could ask any GM he would tell you a rookie DT can start and player at a much higher leval much earlier than a Rookie OT , and that is why I have been suggesting that we put most of our FA money in OLmen and drafting the DTs we need . WE need Vet OL not more rookies , yes we need to draft a few OL high in the draft but not so much for this year but for next year.

i wouldn't be upset with ryan. we really need a qb. maybe he wont be the best ever, but he can be a very good nfl qb. i don't need the next john elway, just a very good qb that can be effective and will stay for awhile. Qb is one of the positions you need stability at to be a long term succesful organization.

Plus it takes 2-3 years anyway for a qb to really get it in this league, so every year we wait for the "perfect qb" is another year longer until we start winning consistantly.

Draftnut57 (2/3/2008)
um... did he forget about how deep RB is... thats a little hypocritical and stupid... who cares if its deep... you want the best.... And Jake Long IS the best left tackle in the draft... Mcfadden is a joke... if you watch him play he has no vision and cannot follow a blocker... i would much rather have a mendenhall stewart charles or davis... for someone who does that for a job i would think he could do better then matt ryan and mcfadden

Your right and exactly what I was thinking , I know he would have to agree that this RB class is the best in years. So he is not using his own stratigy. ;)

That's not necessarily the case. Wasn't Joe Thomas and All-Pro rookie LT? Actually most DTs struggle early. I've heard this many times over. It depends on the player.

I think Sedrick Ellis will be very productive from Day 1 as well as Dorsey. As far as draft and Free Agency, though, I think the best way to improve this club and both lines are to go for Williams in Free Agency and Clady in Round 1.

Scott is right that the pick will be either Ryan or McFadden. There is no secrecy with the draft when you are talking about the top three picks. It is not like picking 8th like last year hoping that someone drops to us. We will go into the draft looking for Ryan or McFadden. The problem with the team last year was offense not the defensive line. Additionally, Ellis and Dorsey have a history of leg injuries.

This is 2001 all over again. It will either be the quarterback or the running back.

The Cush (2/3/2008)
Draftnut57 (2/3/2008)

That's not necessarily the case. Wasn't Joe Thomas and All-Pro rookie LT? Actually most DTs struggle early. I've heard this many times over. It depends on the player.

I think Sedrick Ellis will be very productive from Day 1 as well as Dorsey. As far as draft and Free Agency, though, I think the best way to improve this club and both lines are to go for Williams in Free Agency and Clady in Round 1.

Yes it is true that DTs Can Start sooner than the OTs and play better , and we'll just have to agree to disagree about if it should be what you want a OT in the first and a DT in FAcy , and I want a DT in the first and a Ot in the 2nd and a OT in FAcy , AAMOF I want 2 or three of the best OL in FAcy .

Like Wright said we'd be crazy to take a OT in the first when it is Loaded in the top 3 rounds and he is totally right in that statment.

Draftnut57 (2/4/2008)
The Cush (2/3/2008)
Draftnut57 (2/3/2008)

Yes it is true that DTs Can Start sooner than the OTs and play better , and we'll just have to agree to disagree about if it should be what you want a OT in the first and a DT in FAcy , and I want a DT in the first and a Ot in the 2nd and a OT in FAcy , AAMOF I want 2 or three of the best OL in FAcy .

Like Wright said we'd be crazy to take a OT in the first when it is Loaded in the top 3 rounds and he is totally right in that statment.

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree. I'd like Williams in FA, Clady in Round 1, and another DT in Round 2 or 3. There are no OTs in FA that will compare to Clady, but Williams will be comparable to Ellis.
The Cush (2/4/2008)
Draftnut57 (2/4/2008)
The Cush (2/3/2008)
Draftnut57 (2/3/2008)

We'll definitely have to agree to disagree. I'd like Williams in FA, Clady in Round 1, and another DT in Round 2 or 3. There are no OTs in FA that will compare to Clady, but Williams will be comparable to Ellis.

It looks like you would see how important the D# is after watching the SB tonight , Giants D# won that game for them. If they had not been Great the O# of the giants would not of prevailed to the win.

OK, so let me get this straight...

Scott Wright (?) from NFLDraftCountdown was informed by Falcons' "sources" that we've narrowed our pick - on February 3, mind you - to just two possible players?

This before our newly-hired GM has convened our personnel department for their very first draft meetings.

This before we've conducted any interviews or visits with potential draft choices.

This before the NFL Combine.

This before we even know THE ORDER IN WHICH WE DRAFT IN THE FIRST ROUND.

But that's it - we've settled on Ryan or McFadden. Well, I better let Thomas Dimitroff know tomorrow that our sources have already made up their mind...it will save our staff a lot of work.

Moderator (2/4/2008)

Scott Wright (?) from NFLDraftCountdown was informed by Falcons' "sources" that we've narrowed our pick - on February 3, mind you - to just two possible players?

This before our newly-hiredGM has convened our personnel department for their very first draft meetings.

This before we've conducted anyinterviews or visits with potential draft choices.

But that's it - we've settled on Ryan or McFadden. Well, I better let Thomas Dimitroff know tomorrow that our sources have already made up their mind...it will save our staff a lot of work.

If you would let him know that Draftnut57 knows DTs , and if he passes on Ellis he will regret it for years to come ! I Wanted Tommie Harris really bad , Castillo , Okoye , Mark Anderson , all of whom are great DTs , And I'll go on record to say that Ellis could be better than Tommie who is concidered by most in the NFL to be the very best DT in the game today. If dorsey cand stay healthy he could be one of the best but I'm not sure he can .

Draftnut57 (2/4/2008)
The Cush (2/4/2008)
Draftnut57 (2/4/2008)
The Cush (2/3/2008)
Draftnut57 (2/3/2008)

It looks like you would see how important the D# is after watching the SB tonight , Giants D# won that game for them. If they had not been Great the O# of the giants would not of prevailed to the win.

You don't know how good Corey Williams is? DL is very important. Absolutely. Corey Williams is a great DT and adding a 2nd or 3rd rounder plus him would be tremendous for our D-Line.

I like Ellis a lot, would be ecstatic if we drafted him, but if you fall too much in love with one guy and don't look at all the angles and possibilities you limit yourself in improving your team.

Trading down for a PURE LT (not a hybrid) saves cap for one. There is no tackle in free agency as good as Clady or as pure of a LT. If Thomas can be an all-pro as a rookie, then Clady has a chance, too. But you can get a DT in free Agency that will have just as much impact as Ellis or Dorsey, and that's Corey Williams. Then you can add another high pick on the DL in round 2 or 3, but by trading down you can add more players for less money, which allows you to help other areas of your team.

The offensive line is just as important as the DL. You have to address both. You're so in love with Ellis, that you are refusing to look at all angles for improving the team.

Like I said before, I really like Ellis and Dorsey, and I won't complain a bit if one of them is drafted. I'll be a happy camper. Let's be glad that we know with Dimitroff and Smith that both sides of the line will be addressed.

Moderator (2/4/2008)

This before our newly-hiredGM has convened our personnel department for their very first draft meetings.

This before we've conducted anyinterviews or visits with potential draft choices.

I run a web site in a different area than Wright but with similar behavioral patterns. I've said on several occasions here that several of his comments struck me as posturing. Sourcing is not knowing a guy who has heard from another guy that a team is interested in a prospect. It's talking to someone who has had a direct input in the decision making prospect. There is simply no doubt in my mind that Scott Wright has not done this, which is a pretty telling statement about whether or not Falcons fans should be perusing his site.

Posers annoy me.