I e-mailed Scott Wright/NFL Draftcountdown regarding Falcons 1st rd pick

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/FORUMS/Topic3171745-45-1.aspx

Scott,

just wanted you to see it I know I e-mailed you yesterday out of 64 votes of the most die-hard fans you would ever meet only TWO had Matt Ryan as #1 on their Falcons draft board. I had different versions of the order of 5

Jake Long was the #1 choice (44% chose Jake in one of the choices where he was 1st)

Sedrick Ellis was the #2 choice (27% chose Ellis in one of the choices where he was 1st)

Darren McFadden was the #3 choice(19% chose McFadden in one of the choices where he was 1st)

Glen Dorsey was the #4 choice(8% chose Dorsey in one of the choices where he was 1st)

Matt Ryan was the #5 choice(3% chose Ryan)

We just all think Matt Ryan is overhyped and not that much better than others that will be available in the 2nd round at QB. Obviously if Falcons GM (Dimitroff) feels Matt Ryan is a star QB he will take him but I just don t think he will conclude such.

With Jax and New England s philosophy of dominating the line of scrimmage and GM from New England and the HC from Jax I think you will see an emphasis on the trenches. Anyway, I don t expect you to change your picks for Falcons based on my e-mails just wanted to provide it for your consideration.

Thanks again for the great website, Scott..

SCOTT'S E-MAIL RESPONSE BELOW:

Phillip (that's me - G-Dawg),

I respect the opinions of the fans but when it comes right down to it, as you mentioned, it really doesn't matter what they want. From everything I have been told by sources Atlanta's pick will come down to either Matt Ryan or Darren McFadden, assuming one or both are available when they're on the clock.

Personally, as much as I like Jake Long I wouldn't dream of taking him in round one if I were the Falcons. Offensive tackle is one of the strengths of this draft and there is going to be EXCELLENT value on the board at the top of round two.

Thanks for the e-mail!

Scott Wright, President

NFL Draft Countdown.com

www.nfldraftcountdown.com

scott@nfldraftcountdown.com

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the Falcons even know who they are going to draft yet, particularly because they haven't even entered FA yet.

I'm starting to disagree with a lot of what Scott says. Yesterday, CSTV talked to him over the phone at halftime of Texas vs. the Nation, and he said Darren McFadden was the only elite player in this draft. HUh???

The Cush (2/3/2008)
I doubt the Falcons even know who they are going to draft yet, particularly because they haven't even entered FA yet.

I'm starting to disagree with a lot of what Scott says. Yesterday, CSTV talked to him over the phone at halftime of Texas vs. the Nation, and he said Darren McFadden was the only elite player in this draft. HUh???

yeah, I like Scott's website a lot, but I disagree about McFadden being the only elite prospect. I also obviously disagree with the Matt Ryan pick.

Scott had us picking Matt Ryan before the coaching and GM hires and now he still does and claims a source told him its Ryan/McFadden. I don't claim to have a "source" and maybe Scott does but I just don't see it.

Thanks for sharing this with us g-dawg. It was interesting to hear his rationale for his mock draft. There are so many opinions on what we should do, and they all have merit. I guess my main problem with drafting a QB with such a high pick is you will not be getting a player who is going to impact your team next year. Also, usually when you bring in a new young QB, there is a vet there who is learns under for a couple of years before taking over. We don't even have that here. I'm with most of the posters here and don't believe a QB in the 1st is the way TD is going to go, but I could be proved wrong. It just doesn't look like none of the top QB's this year are can't miss guys, and we cannot afford to miss on this 1st pick--not this year.

woodstockfan (2/3/2008)
Thanks for sharing this with us g-dawg. It was interesting to hear his rationale for his mock draft. There are so many opinions on what we should do, and they all have merit. I guess my main problem with drafting a QB with such a high pick is you will not be getting a player who is going to impact your team next year. Also, usually when you bring in a new young QB, there is a vet there who is learns under for a couple of years before taking over. We don't even have that here. I'm with most of the posters here and don't believe a QB in the 1st is the way TD is going to go, but I could be proved wrong. It just doesn't look like none of the top QB's this year are can't miss guys, and we cannot afford to miss on this 1st pick--not this year.

100% agree with your post woodstockfan. I believe that at least 80% or more would be in favor of taking a QB if we believed he would be a "star, can't miss" guy....Its just that most of us feel that Matt Ryan or any other QB in this draft is a "50/50" gamble - and like you said, the Falcons cannot really afford to "miss" on this high draft pick.

grendel (2/3/2008)
The Cush (2/3/2008)

I'm wondering if Scott's "source" was trying not to laugh while he said we were primarily looking at McFadden and Ryan.

Yes, that sounds like an "oversimplification" of what the Falcons might do. Maybe Scott's source is a kid that goes to school with Arthur Blank's kid :D

I just don't buy it:unsure:

The draft is loaded with linemen, but how many PURE LTs are there in this draft? Clady, Williams, and Baker will probably all go in the first. The other guys could turn out to be really good LTs, but there are questions to whether they will be able to.

If you want to be certain on your LT, better get him in Round 1, and that's why I say get a guy like Clady that can start from Day 1 for a decade. If you sign a guy like Corey Williams in FA, it won't make any sense to spend that high of a pick on a DL, and tie that much money into the DL with so little invested on the other side of the ball.

um... did he forget about how deep RB is... thats a little hypocritical and stupid... who cares if its deep... you want the best.... And Jake Long IS the best left tackle in the draft... Mcfadden is a joke... if you watch him play he has no vision and cannot follow a blocker... i would much rather have a mendenhall stewart charles or davis... for someone who does that for a job i would think he could do better then matt ryan and mcfadden

g-dawg (2/3/2008)
The Cush (2/3/2008)

yeah, I like Scott's website a lot, but I disagree about McFadden being the only elite prospect. I also obviously disagree with the Matt Ryan pick.

Scott had us picking Matt Ryan before the coaching and GM hires and now he still does and claims a source told him its Ryan/McFadden. I don't claim to have a "source" and maybe Scott does but I just don't see it.

Actually if the source is Blank, it makes sense that the pick was the same before the hires as it is after.
The Cush (2/3/2008)
The draft is loaded with linemen, but how many PURE LTs are there in this draft? Clady, Williams, and Baker will probably all go in the first. The other guys could turn out to be really good LTs, but there are questions to whether they will be able to.

If you want to be certain on your LT, better get him in Round 1, and that's why I say get a guy like Clady that can start from Day 1 for a decade. If you sign a guy like Corey Williams in FA, it won't make any sense to spend that high of a pick on a DL, and tie that much money into the DL with so little invested on the other side of the ball.

Nice post, Cush. This is, in fact, a very deep draft in several positions. OL, QB, and RB are very deep in my opinion. This is all going to boil down to dollars and semantics. Is the FA cheaper than the 1st rounder? Is the FA more or as talented as the 1st rounder? And with the draft being so deep, it affords the Falcons the ability to be a lot more creative. For instance, instead of going for Williams or Stroud in FA, they could easily make the argument that Ellis would be the better choice. He would probably come at about 10 million cheaper than either of those top tier FA DT's. I could be wrong on those numbers, so don't hold me to them. ;) But you get the idea. That is what is going to be the rudder of this process. I would think that McFadden would come at a slightly higher price than Turner in FA. Could be wrong there too. What are you thoughts on the difference in value/price of 1st rounders and top FA's? I mean, aside from the obvious "youth" argument?

Statick (2/3/2008)
He's right about the draft being loaded with offensive lineman.

Which is why I believe we'll go defense first, Ellis, Dorsey or Long (Howie's kid)

i agree as well with the o l being loaded in this years draft......so it makes sense if we dont go defense we go with mcfadden or ryan.....and from what i read ryan is the only quarterback that could "possibly" start right away

and last i checked our roster we do NOT have a starting quarterback

i am not saying we should draft him but if TD does i can understand the reasoning

It's hard to think the Falcons could go wrong with any of these picks. All are a pick of need and we can all agree that we are in need at several positions. The only way we should pick a QB that high is if Dimmy grades him out to be a franchise QB.

I wouldn't be oposed to trading down for value.

Ken Radcliff (2/3/2008)
It's hard to think the Falcons could go wrong with any of these picks. All are a pick of need and we can all agree that we are in need at several positions. The only way we should pick a QB that high is if Dimmy grades him out to be a franchise QB.

I wouldn't be oposed to trading down for value.

We agree that trading down is the way to go. I'm just as impressed with the 2nd tier QB's as I am the 1st (if that makes any sense).

Flacco

Booty

Ainge

Henne

that's fly that he responded back to you like that, and you spelled your (and, i guess, 'our' arguments very well).

the only caveat i'd add is that we are looking at this from the football angle. SUCCESSFUL franchises can afford to go with a football-only draft, because they are already successful.

we don't fall into that bucket, so MAJOR considerations exist for non-football related impacts of high draft picks, namely, marketing and promotional impact.

there are not too many offensive tackles or defensive interior linemen who can inspire a fanbase to BELIEVE that the team is instantly better, even if it is a no-brainer from assessing the team needs and available talent. most fans don't think like that. i daresay that the % of *knowledgeable* football fans <<<<<<<< the % of casual football fans who root hard for the home team, but just want to feel like they have a winner.

more succinctly, ain't nobody rushing or clamoring to buy jake long or sedrick ellis jerseys. at least not BEFORE they get in the league and tear ish up, and probably not much afterwards.

this organization is in freefall, and if you look at what New Orleans did, that may be indicative. reggie bush is NOT a great running back. he was a **** of a short term marketing solution, though, singlehandedly getting them national attention, etc.

as much as i hate to think that the falcons would waste their first pick on a 'splash' pick (you see how we were swinging for the fences with coaches and gm interviews, right?), i would not be surprised.

that said, i'd much rather have ellis. (and i wanted okoye last year).

poetx99 (2/3/2008)
that's fly that he responded back to you like that, and you spelled your (and, i guess, 'our' arguments very well).

the only caveat i'd add is that we are looking at this from the football angle. SUCCESSFUL franchises can afford to go with a football-only draft, because they are already successful.

we don't fall into that bucket, so MAJOR considerations exist for non-football related impacts of high draft picks, namely, marketing and promotional impact.

there are not too many offensive tackles or defensive interior linemen who can inspire a fanbase to BELIEVE that the team is instantly better, even if it is a no-brainer from assessing the team needs and available talent. most fans don't think like that. i daresay that the % of *knowledgeable* football fans <<<<<<<< the % of casual football fans who root hard for the home team, but just want to feel like they have a winner.

more succinctly, ain't nobody rushing or clamoring to buy jake long or sedrick ellis jerseys. at least not BEFORE they get in the league and tear ish up, and probably not much afterwards.

this organization is in freefall, and if you look at what New Orleans did, that may be indicative. reggie bush is NOT a great running back. he was a **** of a short term marketing solution, though, singlehandedly getting them national attention, etc.

as much as i hate to think that the falcons would waste their first pick on a 'splash' pick (you see how we were swinging for the fences with coaches and gm interviews, right?), i would not be surprised.

that said, i'd much rather have ellis. (and i wanted okoye last year).

Good post. It's sad but true.