Jonathan Vilma

His knee injury isnt looking good at this time, but with that said, he could well recover 100% in the next 12 months and be a pro bowl MLB for the rest of his career.

Its almost like the Jets and Vilma are deliberately trying to hide details of his injury, which makes me even more suspicious. If healthy, i would trade a 2nd round pick within a blink of the eye...

Heres the latest article i could find on his injury...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jet...0,3258574.story

I would take Vilma for our third round pick in a second. Maybe we could even do a deal to switch first rounders with the Jets in a trade that involved Vilma. I keep hearing that he doesn't fit the 4-3 and that is why the Jets want to get rid of him. When healthy he is one of the best MLB in the league and that is certainly a position of need for us.

It's all speculation of course but I hope something works out so that he could come here in a trade, as long as the price is right.

Joshua Affonso (2/3/2008)
I would take Vilma for our third round pick in a second. Maybe we could even do a deal to switch first rounders with the Jets in a trade that involved Vilma. I keep hearing that he doesn't fit the 4-3 and that is why the Jets want to get rid of him. When healthy he is one of the best MLB in the league and that is certainly a position of need for us.

It's all speculation of course but I hope something works out so that he could come here in a trade, as long as the price is right.

I dont want to blow any draft pick on Vilma, unless his prognosis for recovery is 100%. If team doctors declared that after 4-5 months he would be healthy, and there wasnt much chance of the injury recurring, then and only then would offer the Jets a draft pick...

It just seems too dicey at the moment, and with the draft very deep in a lot of positions, even a 3rd rounder would be hard to give up for an unknown quantity... As i stated, if 100% i would throw a 2nd round to the Jets in the blink of an eye.

the Moss trade comarison is the worst out there, yet used by everyone.

Moss was coming off 2 poor statistical years.

Moss admitted he quit on OAK.

Moss was a mental whacko, and team cancer risk

Its not like every team was knocking on OAK door offering better picks but OAK sent him to NE because they like them better....

Yeah, Grendel is right. As much as I like Vilma, his knee problem is not something that is going to go away. This is much like Bo Jackson's hip problem. Anything that is degenerative is going to always cause problems and will most likely end up reducing his career by a few years.

If he were released and we could pick him up then I would be for it but to give up draft picks for something that is a degenerative problem like this is a bit risky for me.

It really depends on how degenerative the condition is grendel... Some degenerative conditions dont set in until later on in life, like 40's and beyond, and there is every possibility his condition is like that... If he did in fact have micro-fracture surgery, then his condition doesnt look all that appealing to teams out there, but if it was a clean out and a anterior or posterior strain/tear then we are looking at a completely different ballgame.

He is off crutches now and walking around, so i would be expecting him to be strengthening said knee fairly soon. It could well of been 'just' a tear and a clean out and maybe they thought better of it to put him on IR and fully heal instead of risking a complete blowout... Who knows though; Mangini has a strict policy on injury details with all his players...

As above, the Randy Moss trade comparison is a complete joke... Vilma was the captain of the Jets defense and a pro bowl player picked in the 1st round of the 2004? draft(12ish i think) Moss was a cancer in Oakland, and a risky trade in the beginning. NE is exactly the type of franchise Moss needs, to do well in...

defensedefensedefense (2/3/2008)
It really depends on how degenerative the condition is grendel... Some degenerative conditions dont set in until later on in life, like 40's and beyond, and there is every possibility his condition is like that... If he did in fact have micro-fracture surgery, then his condition doesnt look all that appealing to teams out there, but if it was a clean out and a anterior or posterior strain/tear then we are looking at a completely different ballgame.

He is off crutches now and walking around, so i would be expecting him to be strengthening said knee fairly soon. It could well of been 'just' a tear and a clean out and maybe they thought better of it to put him on IR and fully heal instead of risking a complete blowout... Who knows though; Mangini has a strict policy on injury details with all his players...

As above, the Randy Moss trade comparison is a complete joke... Vilma was the captain of the Jets defense and a pro bowl player picked in the 1st round of the 2004? draft(12ish i think) Moss was a cancer in Oakland, and a risky trade in the beginning. NE is exactly the type of franchise Moss needs, to do well in...

Yeah, the Moss trade is a joke. N.E. is laughing all the way to the Super Bowl. And Moss is probably laughing his head off with all the Hall of Fame induction talk.