UGA gets commitment #5. Mettenberger Commits to Dawgs

SacFalcFan

They may be done before the end of February at this rate.

The quarterback for Oconee County, Mettenberger became the fifth prospect to commit to the Bulldogs Saturday. Mettenberger said he let Offensive Coordinator Mike Bobo know of his intentions earlier this week. He told Mark Richt today.

It will be great, said Mettenberger of his decision to go to Georgia. I know a lot of the players already

lol I wasnt joking with my "countdown to signing day 09 thread" ;)

Alot of people in the recruiting world were talking about how out in front UGA was for the 08 class.... Wonder what they're thinking about the 09 class?

Seriously, we have 5 of the 10 guys I definately want for 09 committed already. That's just INSANE!

JC Lanier, Braxton Lane, Jarvis Jones, Johnnie Farms, and Donovan Tate are the cats I really hope we get now.

Abry Jones is probably really high on our priority, maybe more so than Lanier. I also hope we get Jonathan Davis, but we're really running out of LB spots.

I think Abry Jones is our top realistic target at DT......I'm not sure Lanier is even the second. I want Jarvis Jones, Abry Jones, Lanier.....Savage...and OT's, for goodness sake...we just went an entire class without signing a single OT.....can't do that two years in a row, or we are screwed.

mbrizzle (2/2/2008)
lol I wasnt joking with my "countdown to signing day 09 thread" ;)

Alot of people in the recruiting world were talking about how out in front UGA was for the 08 class.... Wonder what they're thinking about the 09 class?

Seriously, we have 5 of the 10 guys I definately want for 09 committed already. That's just INSANE!

JC Lanier, Braxton Lane, Jarvis Jones, Johnnie Farms, and Donovan Tate are the cats I really hope we get now.

Abry Jones is probably really high on our priority, maybe more so than Lanier. I also hope we get Jonathan Davis, but we're really running out of LB spots.

Right now Roberson and Abry Jones are our two top DT targets.  We will both guys IMO and they are huge gets by the way.  However they plan on taking 3 DTs in this class.  The problem with Lanier is he is too big for a DT.  UGA does not like his size at DT and they dont' see him as good enough to play oline for them.  They will be talking only 3 Offensive linemen in this class.  By the way Johnnie Farms is going to go to UF.  I don't see him beign anything but a gator.  Huge gator fan. 

mr pickle (2/2/2008)
I think Abry Jones is our top realistic target at DT......I'm not sure Lanier is even the second. I want Jarvis Jones, Abry Jones, Lanier.....Savage...and OT's, for goodness sake...we just went an entire class without signing a single OT.....can't do that two years in a row, or we are screwed.

Roberson and abry jones are our 2 top dt targets.  I believe we get both and I believe roberson commits very soon.  I don't even know if uga even offers Lanier right now.  We signed a OT in this year's class in Cordy Glenn.  One of the best tackles coming out of high school. 

UGA_DAWG46 (2/3/2008)
Did you hear about the silent commit before or after we offer Roberson?

IMO, if the coaches are keeping it really quiet, it must some really high sought after prospect. Otherwise, they would of anounce it.

I heard about the silent over 2 weeks ago.  it isn't any of the guys mentioned because those who know have stated that recruit hasn't came public yet.

SacFalcFan (2/3/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (2/3/2008)

IMO, if the coaches are keeping it really quiet, it must some really high sought after prospect. Otherwise, they would of anounce it.

I heard about the silent over 2 weeks ago. it isn't any of the guys mentioned because those who know have stated that recruit hasn't came public yet.

what do you mean by " that recruit hasnt come public"

UGA_DAWG46 (2/3/2008)
SacFalcFan (2/3/2008)
UGA_DAWG46 (2/3/2008)

I heard about the silent over 2 weeks ago. it isn't any of the guys mentioned because those who know have stated that recruit hasn't came public yet.

what do you mean by " that recruit hasnt come public"

It's a silent commit, meaning the recruit hasn't come out and publicly said he is committing. 

Jgator2113 (2/3/2008)
I told Sac this kid was a Dawg the moment I saw him at UF's Friday Night Lights back during the summer. He came down with a UGA bookbag on. His father is diehard UGA.

Yeah as soon as jgator told me that I didn't worry about his commitment.  I was just hoping uga would offer Zach.  :) 

Regarding Jonathan Davis I don't know if uga even offers him.  It has nothing to do with his height, but his grades.  They can get guys who are more talented and who are not as big of a question mark grade wise.  Also both vasser and moody are better options at lb as are eric fields and jarvis jones.  If they offer him it will be as a safety.  A bob sanders type safety and he would be a fine prospect there.

Athens Georgia didn t have to go far to get its quarterback of the future.

Oconee County s Zach Mettenberger, who has been around the program for more than a decade and who lives in neighboring Watkinsville, committed to the Bulldogs on Saturday night.

He is the fifth commitment in the 2009 class.

It was definitely like a lightning-bolt thing, Mettenbeger said. I had thought that I was going to take some visits and commit in the spring. But I decided I just wanted to do it and get it out of the way so I could concentrate on my senior season.

The 6-foot-5, 205-pound quarterback was rated as one of Rivals.com s top 50 juniors. He also had offers from Boston College and Florida State. But ultimately it came down to being an environment where is comfortable.

Really it was the players, Mettenberger said. I have know a lot of those guys for a long time. And this is my home. This is where my family and friends are.

Mettenberger has had a relationship with Georgia offensive coordinator Mike Bobo since 1999. Mettenberger went to a passing camp last summer that was run by Mike Bobo s father, George. Zach s mother, Tammy, works in the football office but did not apply any pressure on her son s when it came to recruiting.

I want it to be Zach s decision, Tammy said back in November. I just told him I don t want him to go more than eight hours away because I want to be able to make it to all the games.

The Georgia campus is six miles away from the Mettenberger s home.

Georgia will most likely take one more quarterback in the 2009 class. That could be Tom Savage (6-4, 220) from Cardinal O Hara in Springfield, Pa. Georgia might not take more than 15 players in its 2009 class.

Jgator2113 (2/3/2008)
I told Sac this kid was a Dawg the moment I saw him at UF's Friday Night Lights back during the summer. He came down with a UGA bookbag on. His father is diehard UGA.

This isnt really surprising at all. Zach's mom is an administrative assistant for the UGA coaches at Butts-Mehre and good friends with Mike Bobo.

freakyfalcon (2/3/2008)
Jgator2113 (2/3/2008)

This isnt really surprising at all. Zach's mom is an administrative assistant for the UGA coaches at Butts-Mehre and good friends with Mike Bobo.

It has more to do with Zach knowing bobo since 1999 and also with him knowing all the players and loves Georgia.  The one good thing though are guys who know Zach personally (one of his friends was there at the georgia basketball game which is when he committed to bobo and richt) who stated that his parents weren't pushing UGA and they were really encouraging him to look around to make sure uga was his choice..  However he just couldn't do it, he loves UGA a bunch. 

SacFalcFan (2/3/2008)
mr pickle (2/2/2008)

Roberson and abry jones are our 2 top dt targets. I believe we get both and I believe roberson commits very soon. I don't even know if uga even offers Lanier right now. We signed a OT in this year's class in Cordy Glenn. One of the best tackles coming out of high school.

Glenn completely slipped my mind...I'm an idiot sometimes...thanks for the heads up.