Colt Brennan is a big time dark horse

atljbo

just here me out.....im not a big colt brennan fan but dude is now a big time sleeper....he will get drafted in the 4th or 5th round and he has what it takes to be a good QB... todd mcshay said Mike Martz was messing up Colt Brennan and Andre Woodson during the SENIOR BOWL week because he was changing there throwing mechanics and footwork and its no way a QB could change that in a week......thats why Andre Woodson throwing release looked way slower and Colt Brennan looked less accurate

I would love to get Colt Brennan in the 5th round

no woodson has a delayed release and brennan, just like flacco, played so much in the shotgun that he had to learn the proper way to drop back. i wouldnt take brennan. there are players that have much better arms than brennan. he has trouble on a lot of throws and he is 6 foot 2 and 185 pounds. not saying he cant be good, but i think he will need more work than any other qb in the draft.

I agree. I think with the potential he is a good pick in the late 4th or 5th round. The worst thing about him is his size, he needs to bulk up, but he is smart and if he is given time to sit and master the system I think he could be a starter.

None of the QBs looked good in the Senior Bowl, but everyone takes it out on Brennan, despite the fact that he bought out all the other QBs on his team and won the starting job, and his #s were almost identical to the beloved Joe Flacco. :rolleyes: Also, if you read what some people who were AT the Senior Bowl said, they will say that Brennan wasn't nearly as bad as some people say he was.

The point is there are no blue-chip QBs in this draft, and we should def. wait until round 4 at LEAST to draft one. We can get better players at other need positions in rounds 1-3.

falconva7 (2/2/2008)
I agree. I think with the potential he is a good pick in the late 4th or 5th round. The worst thing about him is his size, he needs to bulk up, but he is smart and if he is given time to sit and master the system I think he could be a starter.

None of the QBs looked good in the Senior Bowl, but everyone takes it out on Brennan, despite the fact that he bought out all the other QBs on his team and won the starting job, and his #s were almost identical to the beloved Joe Flacco. :rolleyes: Also, if you read what some people who were AT the Senior Bowl said, they will say that Brennan wasn't nearly as bad as some people say he was.

The point is there are no blue-chip QBs in this draft, and we should def. wait until round 4 at LEAST to draft one. We can get better players at other need positions in rounds 1-3.

you're right. colt and joe had the worst days i do believe. henne threw 2 TD's i think. im looking at their week of practice also though. i watched all of the qb's everyday leading up to it. i wasnt impressed w/ colt.

bossFALCON (2/2/2008)
falconva7 (2/2/2008)

you're right. colt and joe had the worst days i do believe. henne threw 2 TD's i think. im looking at their week of practice also though. i watched all of the qb's everyday leading up to it. i wasnt impressed w/ colt.

I watched the practices on NFL Network too and I wasn't impressed by ANY QB there, but honestly, how much can you take away from the Senior Bowl at the QB position? QB has the greatest learning curve in a new system/offense/team. It's all about timing, knowing the system, etc., regardless of how vanilla the defense you're playing is.

Why do you think that players at DT or CB always dominate the Senior Bowl? CBs just have to go out there and basically play 1 on 1 and DTs have a very small learning curve.

atljbo (2/2/2008)
just here me out.....im not a big colt brennan fan but dude is now a big time sleeper....he will get drafted in the 4th or 5th round and he has what it takes to be a good QB... todd mcshay said Mike Martz was messing up Colt Brennan and Andre Woodson during the SENIOR BOWL week because he was changing there throwing mechanics and footwork and its no way a QB could change that in a week......thats why Andre Woodson throwing release looked way slower and Colt Brennan looked less accurate

I would love to get Colt Brennan in the 5th round

teach him to scramble and maybe we can talk later. he may have been a giant in a peewee division but in the nfl he will be the peewee amongst giants

Here's my point --- Colt Brenna in the 5th has FAR less financial risk than any of these:

Joe Flacco in the 2nd

Matt Ryan in the 1st

Josh Johnson in the 3rd

We won't have to invest a lot of money in him, and we won't be handcuffed to giving him time to prove himself before we decide to go in a different direction. If you draft a QB really high you are kind of obligated (fiscally) to giving them a couple years to develop before you decide to draft someone else.

If we take Brennan in the 5th, we can give him time to develop AND if a great QB falls in our lap in next year's draft we can take him.

He may wind up being a decent qb in the right system, but not for us.

I don't think we will be sniffing the kind of west coast system he will need to be successful anytime in the near future.

Not to mention, I would rather have a guy like Ainge who may be lacking somewhat in arm strength, but at least we know the guy can play with the upper crust of college football.

As was said earlier, Brennan didn't show me anything in the games I've seen him play.

falconva7 (2/2/2008)
bossFALCON (2/2/2008)
falconva7 (2/2/2008)

I watched the practices on NFL Network too and I wasn't impressed by ANY QB there, but honestly, how much can you take away from the Senior Bowl at the QB position? QB has the greatest learning curve in a new system/offense/team. It's all about timing, knowing the system, etc., regardless of how vanilla the defense you're playing is.

Why do you think that players at DT or CB always dominate the Senior Bowl? CBs just have to go out there and basically play 1 on 1 and DTs have a very small learning curve.

i said i was not impressed with him. i never said he couldnt develop and be a great qb. i did not judge his performance solely on the game, i watched his practices also. the senior bowl dropped his stock and that is all we have to go by now. maybe he will do better in the combine and his pro day. all i can say is that his SENIOR BOWL PERFORMANCE/PRACTICES did not impress me.

Lee Long (2/2/2008)
Granted Brennen is as accurate as you can get, but at 26yrs old and still 185, I doubt he can hold up for a full season with the LBs if the NFL.

If he puts on alot of weight, it will be questioned. Demolsied or suspended, he wont be here.

i agree. that is one of my main points. 185 pounds behind our line is not a good mix. he would really have to bulk up.

bossFALCON (2/2/2008)
Twinblade (2/2/2008)
I am not worried about Brennan, it was a senior bowl, whats the point in trying hard when the game is just useless? NFL scouts I know, But if Brennan really wants to impress, he should do it at the combine.

yea brennan will have to impress at his pro day (if he holds one) and at the combine.

Agree with you there, and I do believe he'll have a pro day, as I think I heard him mention it in an interview. I think his pro day will be his chance to shine as he will be working with Bess and Rivers, two receivers he is familiar with.

And to the guy who wants Ainge -- nooooo. I don't want Ainge in ANY round. I read multiple scout say that during Senior Bowl practices he was throwing, by far, the ugliest ball. Scott Wright said that some of his throws looked like end over end punts...

falconva7 (2/2/2008)
bossFALCON (2/2/2008)
Twinblade (2/2/2008)
I am not worried about Brennan, it was a senior bowl, whats the point in trying hard when the game is just useless? NFL scouts I know, But if Brennan really wants to impress, he should do it at the combine.

yea brennan will have to impress at his pro day (if he holds one) and at the combine.

Agree with you there, and I do believe he'll have a pro day, as I think I heard him mention it in an interview. I think his pro day will be his chance to shine as he will be working with Bess and Rivers, two receivers he is familiar with.

And to the guy who wants Ainge -- nooooo. I don't want Ainge in ANY round. I read multiple scout say that during Senior Bowl practices he was throwing, by far, the ugliest ball. Scott Wright said that some of his throws looked like end over end punts...

yea ainge does throw ducks.

i said i was not impressed with him. i never said he couldnt develop and be a great qb. i did not judge his performance solely on the game, i watched his practices also. the senior bowl dropped his stock and that is all we have to go by now. maybe he will do better in the combine and his pro day. all i can say is that his SENIOR BOWL PERFORMANCE/PRACTICES did not impress me.

but with mike martz messing with this man footwork and mechanics...no qb can get everything changed and perform good in a week.....thats the reason you should not judge players just off the senior bowl week....you dont know whats going on behind the scenes ....I just feet that he is a dark horse....All he needs is a good QB Coach

Twinblade (2/2/2008)
Brennan is still ranked high in ratings.

Yeah, scouts don't really upgrade/downgrade QBs in the Senior Bowl. The only QB I've seen really shoot up draft boards after the Senior Bowl was Phillip Rivers, and that's because Marty Schottenheimer was coaching him and fell in love with him.

Brennan's weight is going to hurt him the most. He needs to try to convince scouts that he can add weight, even if that's something like adding 5 pounds of muscle between now and the combine or Hawaii's pro day.

atljbo (2/2/2008)

but with mike martz messing with this man footwork and mechanics...no qb can get everything changed and perform good in a week.....thats the reason you should not judge players just off the senior bowl week....you dont know whats going on behind the scenes ....I just feet that he is a dark horse....All he needs is a good QB Coach

i am not just going to judge him only on his senior bowl bowl stuff. i said what he did that week did not impress me. i know i dont know whats going on behind the scenes but i sure did see him practice his drop step and his throwing. like i said, i would like to see more of him, maybe he will do better. i cannot judge the guys heart and i dont know how fast he learns, only he knows that. i just know his performances at the senior bowl did not impress ME. maybe he will be a dark horse. i cannot control what the kid does when he gets in the league. like i said, im not saying he wont do good, im just saying THAT WEEK, he did not impress me and i need to see more.

bossFALCON (2/2/2008)
atljbo (2/2/2008)

i am not just going to judge him only on his senior bowl bowl stuff. i said what he did that week did not impress me. i know i dont know whats going on behind the scenes but i sure did see him practice his drop step and his throwing. like i said, i would like to see more of him, maybe he will do better. i cannot judge the guys heart and i dont know how fast he learns, only he knows that. i just know his performances at the senior bowl did not impress ME. maybe he will be a dark horse. i cannot control what the kid does when he gets in the league. like i said, im not saying he wont do good, im just saying THAT WEEK, he did not impress me and i need to see more.

did he impress you against the bulldogs

Anyone who thinks the Sugar Bowl was a fair assessment of Brennan knows nothing about football, because Tom Brady and Peyton Manning wouldn't have done any better behind an OL that was that overmatched. Brennan had people in his face before he could even get the ball in his hands. No OL in the NFL will EVER be outmatched like that (save the Eagles vs. the Giants).