glenn dorsey vs sedrick ellis vs pat sims

falconcj21

id be absolutely fine with either dorsey or ellis, but i think dorsey might be the better value because he does 1. play NT and 2. he would likely be the 2nd DT taken if the draft were held today, just because ellis has been playing lights out lately. thats fine with me, id love to get dorsey. it's much easier to find a good, reliable UT later in the draft. (Kentwan Balmer and Trevor Laws are 2 highly regarded ones, Balmer in the late 1st-2nd and Laws in the 3rd). There will be a lot of reaches for NT's like Bryant and Okam in the draft, and that means very bad value for them.

pat sims will be a NT also, but he has a lot of ? marks about him, and to be honest im surprised he declared.

I am an Auburn Fan. Sims has the abiltiy to be in the conversation with Dorsey and Ellis. With that being said, he has a bad attitude. He has gotten better this past year, but his biggest knock was taking plays off and not giving 100%. I think he needed to stay in school 1 more year to prove he really has improved his attitude. As is, I would not touch him even with the great potential. I guess I am one of the few people on this board that still prefers Dorsey over Ellis. I would be happy with either one though. I think we should go DT, OT, QB in this draft. Guys like Locky (out of Texas may have misspelled his name) and Josh Thompson (out of Auburn) can be had later in the draft and can plug the middle.

id be absolutely fine with either dorsey or ellis, but i think dorsey might be the better value because he does 1. play NT and 2. he would likely be the 2nd DT taken if the draft were held today, just because ellis has been playing lights out lately.

Bill Parcells says that Dorsey is too small to play nose in the NFL. He is only 292 lbs. He is a btter fit in a 4-3 as is Ellis.

A stouter lineman will be better as a nosetackle then either of those in a 3-4 alignment.

thankfully, Atlanta plays a 4-3 and the new head coach is a 4-3 guy.

Offense is Atlanta's biggest needs. They need Oline, running back, quarterback, and at least one receiver who can catch the ball consistently.

monson007 (2/4/2008)

Bill Parcells says that Dorsey is too small to play nose in the NFL. He is only 292 lbs. He is a btter fit in a 4-3 as is Ellis.

No one knows for certain until the combine, but NFL Draft Scout has Dorsey at 316 pounds. I've never heard anyone say he weighs less than 310.

very interesting point hornsmd, and i believe the guy's name is "lokey". derek lokey, the dt from texas. he has a great motor but might be available with a udfa pick, or with a 7th round selection.

i think ahtyba rubin along with carlton powel could be very good values in the 4th round or later range, and id love to get lokey as depth as well, everyone on that team loves that guy.

the more i read about trevor laws though... the more i want to get that guy. he has an amazing motor, non-stop, is an extremely hard worker and was productive against top competition. the only knocks against him are his height and he is not overly stout at the point of attack against the rush. however, he is a very good pass rusher, and as his technique develops he will shed the final knock on him, which is his lack of a very thorough pass rush repetouire. i am definately on his bandwagon.

Thanks Mr. Offseason, I knew that I was misspelling the guys name. I think I would rather pick him with the 7th round pick than wait as UDFA as he could anywhere. Like you I am surprised that Sims declared because I felt like with 1 more good year he would solidify himself as the best DT in the 09 class. I think he decided on leaving because Muschamp left for Texas and he didn't want to learn a new scheme for fear it would hurt his draft status. He orginally was coming back to Auburn until that news hit. I don't know a lot about Balmer but I can say I like Laws from Notre Dame. Bryant wouldn't be a bad fit for the new scheme either.

hornsmd (2/4/2008)
Thanks Mr. Offseason, I knew that I was misspelling the guys name. I think I would rather pick him with the 7th round pick than wait as UDFA as he could anywhere. Like you I am surprised that Sims declared because I felt like with 1 more good year he would solidify himself as the best DT in the 09 class. I think he decided on leaving because Muschamp left for Texas and he didn't want to learn a new scheme for fear it would hurt his draft status. He orginally was coming back to Auburn until that news hit. I don't know a lot about Balmer but I can say I like Laws from Notre Dame. Bryant wouldn't be a bad fit for the new scheme either.

no problem man. i bet you are one of the few people aside from myself who even knew who he was, no disrespect to anyone that didnt know him though. he got injured for the year last year, so he obviously fell a lot because of that.

in any event, you have much more info into why sims left than i do, but i think we can both agree it didnt help him much. but someone will take a chance on him to help establish some depth at the NT position, and from what i know of him he is a very good run stuffer when he wants to be, so that is good for him.

i like laws because of his amazing motor, and i think thats why you like him too. he is a very hard worker, and bryant fits that same category. he is a totally different player because he is a run stuffing/clogger guy, but he was a captain, a team leader and has a great work ethic. id love to get him but i have a feeling teams will definately reach for him, but i dont know why he is projected so low, because i cant see anything wrong with him other than potentiall conditioning issues, but that is not enough to move him all that way down is it? especially in a thin dt class. i think wed be better off getting dorsey in the 1st round, perhaps sam baker (if were lucky, hed have to get past miami) in the 2nd round, if not him then i certainly want to trade down. i absolutely LOVE some of the players in the 3rd round range right now. i could go on and on: josh johnson, trevor laws, phillip wheeler, chris ellis, john greco, matt forte... even tavares gooden, jonathan hefney (not that we should be drafting a FS imo), roy scheuning and mike hart. look at all those guys! i would absolutely love to swing a deal with miami to get a couple of their 3rd rounders for a 2nd round selection, but i doubt theyd go for it. there is going to be TONS of value in the 3rd round, and i really want to swing a deal with our early 2nd round pick to move back in the 2nd, just to try and get more picks in that range. imagine a draft that went like this:

1st- Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU-

2nd (F/ HOU)- Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas-

3rd (F/ MIA, hypothetically)- Phillip Wheeler, ILB, Georgia Tech-

3rd- Josh Johnson, QB, San Diego-

3rd (F/ MIA)- Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame-

3rd (comp)- Matt Forte, RB, Tulane-

man, that would be a fun draft. it is very unlikely to go down like that, but **** i really want a lot of 3rd round picks, the value there is absolutely phenomenal in my opinion.

monson007 (2/4/2008)
id be absolutely fine with either dorsey or ellis, but i think dorsey might be the better value because he does 1. play NT and 2. he would likely be the 2nd DT taken if the draft were held today, just because ellis has been playing lights out lately.

A stouter lineman will be better as a nosetackle then either of those in a 3-4 alignment.

thankfully, Atlanta plays a 4-3 and the new head coach is a 4-3 guy.

Offense is Atlanta's biggest needs. They need Oline, running back, quarterback, and at least one receiver who can catch the ball consistently.

Well, the funny thing is DAL has NO NTs over 305. Their STRATING (and future) NT is only 290 lbs or so, And Parcells drafted him!

monoxide (2/2/2008)
kentwan balmer out of UNC is light years better then Simms, and in my opinion is the most underrated player in this draft. Granted, I still like Sedrick Ellis.

I also disagree with this. Balmser prior to this season had the label of a mojor underachiever. I just worry about a guy who came out of nowhere (see Anderson).

I think Balmer is good, but I would say he is Sims are on par with each other. Dre Moore is another one his is probably about as good as these 2, when he decides to give his all.