Compensation Picks

The Cush (2/2/2008)
bigdawgintn (2/2/2008)
With that extra 3rd that will give us 5 picks in the first 3 rnds is it possible for us to either trade back in the first round for somebody or to trade for a player. What do you think?
I wouldn't want to trade up for any reason. I'd trade down or keep the picks.

I agree somewhat, but what if a QB like woodson falls late in the first round and you have taken a linemen (O or D doesn't matter) with the 3rd pick would you consider it then or wait to see if he will make it into the 2nd.

bigdawgintn (2/2/2008)
The Cush (2/2/2008)
bigdawgintn (2/2/2008)
With that extra 3rd that will give us 5 picks in the first 3 rnds is it possible for us to either trade back in the first round for somebody or to trade for a player. What do you think?
I wouldn't want to trade up for any reason. I'd trade down or keep the picks.

I agree somewhat, but what if a QB like woodson falls late in the first round and you have taken a linemen (O or D doesn't matter) with the 3rd pick would you consider it then or wait to see if he will make it into the 2nd.

I wouldn't take Woodson before the 4th round, but that's JMO.

I agree somewhat, but what if a QB like woodson falls late in the first round and you have taken a linemen (O or D doesn't matter) with the 3rd pick would you consider it then or wait to see if he will make it into the 2nd.I wouldn't take Woodson before the 4th round, but that's JMO.

No QB or RB until the 4th or later the better

texasbirdfan (2/2/2008)

I wouldn't take Woodson before the 4th round, but that's JMO.

Rnd 1 Ellis

Rnd 2 OT

Rnd 2 LB

Rnd 3 ?

Rnd 3 ?

all you guys saying to just pick a qb late in the draft... guys, it's not that easy.

We HAVE to address the qb situation. If you look at all the solid franchises in the NFL, they all have stability at qb.

The guy we take for qb needs to our qb for the next 10-15 years. I understand the concept of draft value, and who doesn't want to find the next Brady in the sixth round, but that just doesn't happen every year. In fact, it rarely happens.

Think about it like this. Go back to every draft since 2001. Look at every qb taken in the 2nd-7th rounds. There were 70 total since then. Out of those seventy qbs, maybe 4 are decent (Brees, Garrard, Schaub, Derek Anderson). 4 qbs out of 70. I understand that first round qbs fail at a 50% rate over the same time span, but a success rate of 4 out of 70????

QB is something we cannot afford to mess up right now. QB is probably the most important position when talking about long term stability for a franchise. Not only that, but the qb that you take will take alot of time to develop. Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers were taken in the 2004 draft. They went to very good teams and just now, three seasons later, getting playoff success.

We need to just go ahead and bite the bullet and draft a qb high. I would rather take a chance on matt ryan or brian brohm turning out good then some 5th round unknown.

bigdawgintn (2/2/2008)

do the falcons already have two 3rd round picks? I thought we only had one.

boss hogg (2/2/2008)
bigdawgintn (2/2/2008)

do the falcons already have two 3rd round picks? I thought we only had one.

no, right now we have 1 first round, 2 second rounds (ours and houstons, for schaub), and a third round. if we get a third for kerney then that would make five

joremari (2/2/2008)
all you guys saying to just pick a qb late in the draft... guys, it's not that easy.

We HAVE to address the qb situation. If you look at all the solid franchises in the NFL, they all have stability at qb.

The guy we take for qb needs to our qb for the next 10-15 years. I understand the concept of draft value, and who doesn't want to find the next Brady in the sixth round, but that just doesn't happen every year. In fact, it rarely happens.

Think about it like this. Go back to every draft since 2001. Look at every qb taken in the 2nd-7th rounds. There were 70 total since then. Out of those seventy qbs, maybe 4 are decent (Brees, Garrard, Schaub, Derek Anderson). 4 qbs out of 70. I understand that first round qbs fail at a 50% rate over the same time span, but a success rate of 4 out of 70????

QB is something we cannot afford to mess up right now. QB is probably the most important position when talking about long term stability for a franchise. Not only that, but the qb that you take will take alot of time to develop. Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers were taken in the 2004 draft. They went to very good teams and just now, three seasons later, getting playoff success.

We need to just go ahead and bite the bullet and draft a qb high. I would rather take a chance on matt ryan or brian brohm turning out good then some 5th round unknown.

There's not one QB in this draft worth picking any earlier than the 2nd second pick. Maybe Brohm, but all the rest are not worth more than a late 2nd early 3rd.

they will announce the comp picks at the combine, which will be starting feb 22. that's also the time when they will announce the coin toss for our draft position.

Also, in response to your first question, we are not allowed to trade comp picks. we could trade our original third our some of our other ones, but we would have to use our comp pick at the end of the third round or whatever round they award us with.