Free agency and its impact on our draft

etherdome

Mock draft are an interesting way to bide the time until the draft. However, we can not say with any certainty, what Dimitroff will be drafting until the free agents are signed.

Examples:

If, by some chance, the Falcons sign DT-Haynesworth to a four year contract, we will probably not be looking at DT in the first round. Most of us agree that Ellis/Dorsey are the top draft choices, now, but how many of us would feel the same way with Albert Haynesworth on the roster?

What if we sign McNabb or Anderson in the off season? Would we still draft a QB one day one? What if we add Faneca?

Complicating matters is the fact that we fans don't know enough about the players in the league to make an accurate judgement about their true value. There are always diamonds in the rough in this league. There are always players sitting on a bench somewhere that can be plucked off a roster and make a huge difference to a team.

I don't know who these players are. I did not even hear of Rod Coleman before McKay signed him a few years back. Maybe there is an unknown OG or QB or DT out there that can step up and become an impact player for us. TD has the job of scouring the NFL rosters and trying to find players that we can sign this offseason.....players that we have never heard of.....players that could turn our fortunes around quickly.

What if we sign some 3rd string QB that has not looked good in short appearances? What if our scouts think that he can succeed in our offensive scheme? For example: what if we signed Walters (Oakland)? Maybe he is the ideal guy to take over this new offense....I don't know.... and neither does anyone else on these boards.

The point is that we all have to be patient. There is not a lot of patience left on these boards. It seems that every move is accompanied by a litany of critical remarks. The word "sucks" is used so frequently that it has lost its meaning.

All of the angst and anger on these boards are understandable. This franchise has been a disaster for a long time. But to the guys hired in the past three weeks, this is a new opportunity. We have to give TD and Mike Smith some breathing room. They have earned a right to make decisions to better this franchise. No one knows whether they will build a winner or not. But, they deserve at least some support from the fans.

I am optimistic. Perhaps that is based on my personality. Or, perhaps there is good reason to be optimistic. Perhaps these new guys really do know what it takes to build a winning football team. I think I know, but I am not so arrogant to think that I definitely know.

Give these guys a chance. Let's see what they do in free agency. Have fun creating Mocks, but don't get so obsessed with your predictions that you stop enjoying the Falcons. If that happens, then what is the point?

Guest Libid21

We can't be signing free agent scrubs hoping they'll turn out to be 'diamonds in the rough'. Those kind of situations happen once in a hundred or so times. If we get Haynesworth, I would wager that we would still go shopping for a tackle to back him up while Lewis plays the nose tackle position. If we sign Haynesworth, Coleman would be of no use. Babineaux is a solid back up, but he's not the long term answer, and we're going to be in big time trouble if we expect Haynesworth to stay in prime shape forever. He only has two or three good years left.

Guest Libid21
grendel (2/2/2008)
Even if we got Haynesworth I'd want to get Dorsey / Ellis. If our DTs were Haynesworth and Dorsey/Ellis, we could trade DHall and put a traffic cone at CB and still do well, 'cause the QB wouldn't have time to throw anything over 5 yards, and that only if he's in a shotgun.

On the QB side, if we got Anderson I would say no first day QB, but I'd still look at someone with promise on the second day. McNabb is a whole other story. McNabb wouldn't be any more than a stop-gap IMO, and I'd want to take a guy on the first day who could sit for a couple years and be ready to be a quality starter when McNabb's done (or we're done with him).

Haynesworth and Dorsey/Ellis are under tackles. You can't have them play whichever side of the defensive tackle. This isn't Madden.

And if we get Anderson, I'd look for us to draft Josh Johnson or Dennis Dixon - the two top project quarterbacks in this draft IMO. They've got loads of potential. Johnson's shown off his skills already in the East-West Shrine Bowl game, and Dixon was the Heisman frontrunner before he had his season-ending injury. Both are projected second day picks. I would want to get Johnson even if we didn't sign a free agent quarterback.

bgarcia,

of course you are right......and, I think the Titans will franchise Haynesworth - if they did not, and the Falcons signed Haynesworth - I would say that we could still draft Dorsey/Ellis but I agree more with you than others that it would be unlikely that we would do so. Having two pro-bowl defensive tackles would be great but would be a "luxury" and Falcons have too many holes everywhere to "double-up" at one position.

As Falcons fans, we are all frustrated by the past and want to "get it on" to the future. The future cannot happen fast enough for most of us and we want free agency and the draft to get here quickly. We are 30 days away from Free Agency(March 2nd) and we are 83 days, 58 minutes and 40seconds away from the NFL draft.

As Falcon fans, we probably won't have a good idea what we will have with retained and newly signed free agents until about March 15th or so. Once we get there, I am sure all of us fans will be revising our "mock drafts" for the Falcons.

In the meantime, time for ol' g-dawg to work on mock draft 85.0:D

Guest Libid21
grendel (2/2/2008)
Libid21 (2/2/2008)
grendel (2/2/2008)
Even if we got Haynesworth I'd want to get Dorsey / Ellis. If our DTs were Haynesworth and Dorsey/Ellis, we could trade DHall and put a traffic cone at CB and still do well, 'cause the QB wouldn't have time to throw anything over 5 yards, and that only if he's in a shotgun.

On the QB side, if we got Anderson I would say no first day QB, but I'd still look at someone with promise on the second day. McNabb is a whole other story. McNabb wouldn't be any more than a stop-gap IMO, and I'd want to take a guy on the first day who could sit for a couple years and be ready to be a quality starter when McNabb's done (or we're done with him).

Haynesworth and Dorsey/Ellis are under tackles. You can't have them play whichever side of the defensive tackle. This isn't Madden.

And if we get Anderson, I'd look for us to draft Josh Johnson or Dennis Dixon - the two top project quarterbacks in this draft IMO. They've got loads of potential. Johnson's shown off his skills already in the East-West Shrine Bowl game, and Dixon was the Heisman frontrunner before he had his season-ending injury. Both are projected second day picks. I would want to get Johnson even if we didn't sign a free agent quarterback.

I'll let the Giants know that they're not allowed to put in 4 pass rushing DE's on passing downs. Dorsey and Ellis could both play either DT position in a 4-3, and schemes can be modified to get your best players on the field.

We can't play our defensive linemen out of position just yet. The Giants have solid linebackers, and we don't. We only have Boley really, no one else. Giants leave the run stopping to their linebackers, and basically that's just it. So our 4-3 is different than theirs in the way that we can't be bringing in personnel similar to New York's and expecting them to execute that defense in the same way.

Amen, brother!

I think Corey Williams will be the main Free Agent target. Faneca probably won't sign here, and I think his age will keep the team from throwing 7 million a year at him, but I won't complain if he is signed!

I, too, think there will be a lot of mid-level signings to bolster depth. We all should be excited, really. Blank said there will be 23-30 million in cap space, and Atlanta has at least 9 picks in the draft, maybe more. This team will look a lot different next season.

texasbirdfan (2/2/2008)
ah...somehow I don't see the Falcons FA signing high priced high profile suspended head stompers....

They might when the guy is first team all-pro at his position with a nearly unanimous vote. Haynesworth was tied for second in defensive player of the year voting. If you don't want him on this team, you and I are quite different.

jidady (2/2/2008)
texasbirdfan (2/2/2008)
ah...somehow I don't see the Falcons FA signing high priced high profile suspended head stompers....

They might when the guy is first team all-pro at his position with a nearly unanimous vote. Haynesworth was tied for second in defensive player of the year voting. If you don't want him on this team, you and I are quite different.

I didn't know Dimitroff gave me the keys: I am not on the "Falcon Filter" board. There is no sense dreaming if you know the owner won't pull the trigger.

If you say that Haynesworth is a risky free agent because he lived up to expectations only in his contract year......I'll listen. But, if you think that he is a "thug", then you are barking up the wrong tree.

The guy stomped on another player, in the heat of battle. He was disciplined and has come back as a hard working teammate. He has also been a model citizen. If he had a habit of losing his head and acting violently often, then I would say that he has a character flaw.

Haynesworth is a phenomenal player that is entering the prime of his career. He is also a decent man that made a single mistake. If you know of other transgressions, then let me know. Until then, I will consider him a very desirable free agent.

I think it's a moot point since Tennessee isn't going to let him go. I will say this, however. If more people handled their worst mistakes the way Haynesworth did, the world would be free of repeat offenders. When he wasn't allowed to practice, he spent over 100 hours at hospitals talking to sick children. When he was allowed to practice again, there were several times where the team had to kick him out of the building at night for fear that he wouldn't go home and sleep in his own bed otherwise. If Pac-Man Jones had behaved like Haynesworth did, they wouldn't be trading him. Fisher doesn't waste time on jerks. For the past season and a half, Haynesworth hasn't been just the best defensive tackle in football. He's also been the most committed.

Everyone is entitled to judge him for his monstrous act of cowardice if they like, but I believe in redemption. This guy is the gold standard about what a person can do to absolve themselves of past sins.