I don't understand all the Derek Anderson hype

I mean, he floated around the league for a few years. Gets his shot this year, and he had a decent season, but his INT's were way too high for me.I think he's a one-year wonder and the Falcons would be committing a mistake by trading arguably our best defensive player and a draft pick to bring him here. We'd be weakining one side of the ball to bring someone who may or may not pan out long term?We need to be stockpiling draft picks, not trading them.

I'd just be better off drafting Henne or Brohm, letting Redman start this year, then turn the reigns over to him. The FA class of QB's isn't good this year at all.

Good starting quality QB's are hard to find and they are super important. The'hype' is because he performed well for a first year starter. 19 INT's isn't bad for a QB who threw 527 passes. He threw the 8th most passes in the league. Qb's like Eli Manning, Carson Palmer and Tony Romo had as many or more INT's. A lot of you guys need to get perspective on QB's in the NFL these days. It seems you think any QB who isn't Tom Brady is no good.

Derek Anderson's INTs were too high, but he was otherwise impeccable this year. In addition, he hasn't kicked around the league for a while. He was part of the 2005 draft. At only 24, he might have a dozen years left in his career. If our scouts determine he is not a one-year wonder, I cannot blame them for showing interest in him. It makes tons more sense than trading for an unproven guy like Quinn would.

jidady (2/1/2008)
Derek Anderson's INTs were too high, but he was otherwise impeccable this year. In addition, he hasn't kicked around the league for a while. He was part of the 2005 draft. At only 24, he might have a dozen years left in his career. If our scouts determine he is not a one-year wonder, I cannot blame them for showing interest in him. It makes tons more sense than trading for an unproven guy like Quinn would.
Good points.

And I agree w/you 100% on your last sentence. I just don't wanna give up too mich for him.

halsey (2/1/2008)
Good starting quality QB's are hard to find and they are super important. The'hype' is because he performed well for a first year starter. 19 INT's isn't bad for a QB who threw 527 passes. He threw the 8th most passes in the league. Qb's like Eli Manning, Carson Palmer and Tony Romo had as many or more INT's. A lot of you guys need to get perspective on QB's in the NFL these days. It seems you think any QB who isn't Tom Brady is no good.
Again, good points.

But you are 100% wrong on your last sentence. That ain't my line of thinking at all.

Matthew Pritts (2/1/2008)

And I agree w/you 100% on your last sentence. I just don't wanna give up too mich for him.

I completely agree with you on that. In fact, my wife and I were having a conversation this afternoon about whether Anderson has shown enough to justify being traded straight up for Hall. I was of the opinion that he was and she flat out told me I was wrong, arguing that Cleveland needs to throw in a draft pick to make that trade even. She too is worried that he's a one-hit wonder.

The reality is that unless we are certain Redman can be a 16-game starter next year or that Shockley is ready to compete for the job, we don't have much choice. If neither of those is the case, we have to trade for or sign a veteran who can.

jidady (2/1/2008)
Matthew Pritts (2/1/2008)

I completely agree with you on that. In fact, my wife and I were having a conversation this afternoon about whether Anderson has shown enough to justify being traded straight up for Hall. I was of the opinion that he was and she flat out told me I was wrong, arguing that Cleveland needs to throw in a draft pick to make that trade even. She too is worried that he's a one-hit wonder.

The reality is that unless we are certain Redman can be a 16-game starter next year or that Shockley is ready to compete for the job, we don't have much choice. If neither of those is the case, we have to trade for or sign a veteran who can.

I agree w/your wife FWIW. :P

I do think Redman can hold the fort until the guy we draft is ready.

jidady (2/1/2008)

I think that Shockley is the darkhorse in this race that no one seems to be considering, which is odd considering he is from UGA. But while people are talking about drafting a guy like Josh Johnson, Shockley himself has some potential, and we owe it to ourselves to give him the chance.

Through a mutual friend, I was told that Shockley was really, really beating himself up over being injured this season because he really felt that this was his opportunity. I would rather him start 16 games than Redman, but that is just me.

L.Rover (2/1/2008)
jidady (2/1/2008)

I think that Shockley is the darkhorse in this race that no one seems to be considering, which is odd considering he is from UGA. But while people are talking about drafting a guy like Josh Johnson, Shockley himself has some potential, and we owe it to ourselves to give him the chance.

Through a mutual friend, I was told that Shockley was really, really beating himself up over being injured this season because he really felt that this was his opportunity. I would rather him start 16 games than Redman, but that is just me.

Shockley is not nor will he ever be NFL material. Too many accuracy issues.

And this is coming from a staunch Dawgs fan who absolutely loves DJ. But we'll have to see waht Mularkey thinks once he sees tape of DJ here in the coming weeks.

papikaika (2/1/2008)
It helps when you have a really good offensive line protecting you as well. Anderson is a solid QB, but I wouldn't bite on it yet. Who knows, it might just be a one-hit wonder. We'll never know, until we see him again with the Browns.

The thing about the offensive line that's tricky is the way that a good QB can make the line look better. Charlie Frye took a beating in week one behind the same line that looked like one of the best in football when Anderson played. How much of that is the line versus how much of it is the QB making quick, decisive reads is one of the trickiest things to determine in football. We now know that David Carr was making the line look worse in Houston while Redman got sacked half as often as Harrington in Atlanta. Even the best personnel guys in the league are honest about the fact that it's hard to accurately point the finger on who is to blame there. Carolina was thrilled to scoop up Carr but soured on him almost immediately when they realized how slowly he processes information. Redman should not be that decisive after being completely out of football for so long yet the game film says otherwise.

All of this means that while I understand the philosophy that Anderson's line helped him out a lot, I also believe that Frye got sacked six times in week one for a reason. Meanwhile, Anderson kept his jersey clean almost the entire season. I don't believe that is coincidence.