With our new management team and new Hc's...

birdweiserrr

I hope they stick with what they're saying. We were lied to when we were told they would install a "Falcons Filter". I hope we're not being lied to now.

Character and intelligence should be top priority for all involved in this new era of Falcon football.

We've seen what happens you have you have class players on the team. Lets try something else.

Ok theres character and moral issues alot of teams are using these days...and not just in NFL..but does that mean you should PASS on TALENT???? ok if we wind up with 3rd pick...and we got choices of One of the Longs Ellis dorsey Mcfadden...i would look at chris long jake long dorsey and ellis BEFORE McFadden but if we pick 5th and its down to Matt Ryan Brian brohm McFadden...then i would go with McFadden now alot of people may say what about O-linemen>>??? well if we want a olineman i say trade down get a extra pick or 2 and then get Clady or Williams... but thats just my opinon on the whole character issue..its good to have it....but i rather have talent....

PEACE!!

Ahh the old Falcon Filter once misused to attack the front office. I believe this should be in syndication by now. Everything does not have to be in absolute terms.

MO: There are two more questions remaining in this FalconsLIVE! event. We wish we could take all of your questions because there are so many good ones that we aren't able to get to this go round. But we'll take one more from the FalconsChat room, and then the last one from e-mail. The one from the chat comes from Daddy_Warbuck$, who asks:

"Phil, How do you balance the Falcon Filter and does it outweigh playmaking ability is someone isn't necessarily known as a high-character guy?"

Emery: Our Falcon Filter is a super set of looking at a guy's character. We're looking at the high side of his competitive toughness, his physical presence, his instincts for the position. So yes, it's part of it.

You balance it...again, I'm going to go back to the overlying philosophy: the physical trails, the athletic ability and the skills for the position -- that's the ceiling. That's how far we think the player can go or how high his talents will take him in terms of being a starter or being an ace or a high-level player.

But his character is the floor. Okay? In terms of will he be able to take those talents and move forward with them? And what we're looking for is the floor to be enough. That's the bottom line -- is it good enough for the Falcons? Does he have enough football character and personal character that can contribute to his success to move forward?

And if we determine it is, we'll move forward with him. The Falcon Filter is kind of a special thing for us in terms of those are ultimately the guys who we want. If they meet our criteria for our filter in terms of the high end of the character, we flag those players. Several other NFL teams do something similar. We think ours is unique in some ways. But we flag those players and those are target players. If we can get a Falcon Filter guy on the team, we feel good about it.

birdweiserrr (2/1/2008)
I hope they stick with what they're saying. We were lied to when we were told they would install a "Falcons Filter". I hope we're not being lied to now.

Character and intelligence should be top priority for all involved in this new era of Falcon football.

We've seen what happens you have you have class players on the team. Lets try something else.

I hope they apply this character thing to who they let post on their message board starting 2008.

glass houses.....those obsessed with others character issues that consistently stand in judgement of others oftimes are just trying to feel better about themselves.

gazoo (2/1/2008)
birdweiserrr (2/1/2008)

I hope they apply this character thing to who they let post on their message board starting 2008.

glass houses.....those obsessed with others character issues that consistently stand in judgement of others oftimes are just trying to feel better about themselves.

Is that Honduras cook still wearing his Vick jersey thinking Vick finished ahead of Manning in the QB competition while the helicopters are still looking for the dogs to be found from Vick's home in Va?

phattywankenobi (2/1/2008)
Ahh the old Falcon Filter once misused to attack the front office. I believe this should be in syndication by now. Everything does not have to be in absolute terms.

MO: There are two more questions remaining in this FalconsLIVE! event. We wish we could take all of your questions because there are so many good ones that we aren't able to get to this go round. But we'll take one more from the FalconsChat room, and then the last one from e-mail. The one from the chat comes from Daddy_Warbuck$, who asks:

"Phil, How do you balance the Falcon Filter and does it outweigh playmaking ability is someone isn't necessarily known as a high-character guy?"

Emery: Our Falcon Filter is a super set of looking at a guy's character. We're looking at the high side of his competitive toughness, his physical presence, his instincts for the position. So yes, it's part of it.

You balance it...again, I'm going to go back to the overlying philosophy: the physical trails, the athletic ability and the skills for the position -- that's the ceiling. That's how far we think the player can go or how high his talents will take him in terms of being a starter or being an ace or a high-level player.

But his character is the floor. Okay? In terms of will he be able to take those talents and move forward with them? And what we're looking for is the floor to be enough. That's the bottom line -- is it good enough for the Falcons? Does he have enough football character and personal character that can contribute to his success to move forward?

And if we determine it is, we'll move forward with him. The Falcon Filter is kind of a special thing for us in terms of those are ultimately the guys who we want. If they meet our criteria for our filter in terms of the high end of the character, we flag those players. Several other NFL teams do something similar. We think ours is unique in some ways. But we flag those players and those are target players. If we can get a Falcon Filter guy on the team, we feel good about it.

Thanks for posting this....the starter of this idiotic thread will conveniently pretend like he hasn't read it...hopefully my post is the last one and this thread will die a quick death.

birdweiserrr (2/1/2008)

We've seen what happens you have you have class players on the team. Lets try something else. I agree!

birdweiserrr (2/1/2008)
Is that Honduras cook still wearing his Vick jersey thinking Vick finished ahead of Manning in the QB competition while the helicopters are still looking for the dogs to be found from Vick's home in Va?

Never answers questions, full of insults, a hypocrit, and probably a racist.

Who am I? Birdweiserrr.

The Kid with the Golden Arm (2/1/2008)
Here's to the Falcons fielding a bunch of choir boys who are great at shaking hands and kissing babies but can't win football games. Forgive me, but I will take talent over character any day of the week and especially on Sunday.

People who lack character don't excel at team sports as a rule. Look how many ego-less role players the Patriots and Giants have on their rosters. That's not accidental. Drafting for character is a strategy that works.

jidady (2/1/2008)
Here's to the Falcons fielding a bunch of choir boys who are great at shaking hands and kissing babies but can't win football games. Forgive me, but I will take talent over character any day of the week and especially on Sunday.

People who lack character don't excel at team sports as a rule. Look how many ego-less role players the Patriots and Giants have on their rosters. That's not accidental. Drafting for character is a strategy that works.

I do not make it a practice to judge others, but I feel the need to point out that Ray Lewis was charged with a double stabbing homicide and ratted out his friends to get a plea bargain down to a misdemeanor. He not only won Super Bowl as THE leader of that team only a few months after copping the plea, he also won MVP.

Character is somethig you have to look at when evaluating who you want on your team no doubt, but some fans seem absolutely obsessed with focusing on this.

Randy Moss seems to be doing just fine in NE and he's had all kinds of problems in the past.

jidady (2/1/2008)

Are you kidding? The Giants have ego-less players? Do you actually NOT have a television at all?? Strahan? Pierce? Shockey? They don't have egos?? And as far as the Patriots, the biggest ego in the whole league is their HEAD COACH.

july425 (2/2/2008)
jidady (2/1/2008)

Are you kidding? The Giants have ego-less players? Do you actually NOT have a television at all?? Strahan? Pierce? Shockey? They don't have egos?? And as far as the Patriots, the biggest ego in the whole league is their HEAD COACH.

You want some help reading what he wrote? He said ""people who lack character". You're going on and on about ego's. Hopefully you just read it too fast or something.

birdweiserrr (2/2/2008)
july425 (2/2/2008)
jidady (2/1/2008)

You want some help reading what he wrote? He said ""people who lack character". You're going on and on about ego's. Hopefully you just read it too fast or something.

Reading is truly fundamental....as is comprehending WHAT you read. I responded directly to a statement. You however, are responding to the voices in your tiny head. READ.

The idea is to get both... find players with the talent and physical tools, but also with the attitude, work ethic and character to make the most out of those talents and to do whats best for the team rather than the individiual.

You can have all the phyical tools, but if you lack the application, attitude and work ethic to maximise those talents they can very easily be wasted...

I agree to this. We need better character on our team.

McFadden may be a great athlete, but he has characters problem. We should pass on him and trade down for Jonathan Stewart. Stewart has better characters, better vision, stronger, and can run with more power. If we dont go with Stewart, Jamal Charles or Kevin Smith are next on wish list.

ukfalc (2/2/2008)
The idea is to get both... find players with the talent and physical tools, but also with the attitude, work ethic and character to make the most out of those talents and to do whats best for the team rather than the individiual.

You can have all the phyical tools, but if you lack the application, attitude and work ethic to maximise those talents they can very easily be wasted...

Great point UK.