I really hope we get this guy in the second round.

Dirtybird

Scouting Delaware's Joe Flacco

By Scouts Inc.

(Archive)

Updated: January 25, 2008, 12:43 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Editor's note: Practice notes are updated daily and a final report will be completed on Friday.

QB Scouting Reports

Joe Flacco is just one of the six QBs Scouts Inc. is watching, grading and writing up daily reports on. Check out how the other five quarterbacks are doing this week.

" Erik Ainge

" John David Booty

" Colt Brennan

" Chad Henne

" Andre' Woodson

Although he started his collegiate career at Pittsburgh, the bulk of Flacco's production came at Delaware against a lower level of competition. So there are questions about his ability to adjust to the speed and complexities of NFL defenses. However, there's no question he has the natural ability -- he has prototypical arm strength and size for a pocket passer. In addition, he has shown steady progress over the course of the past two seasons and should only continue to get better with added experience.

This year's premier small-school prospect, Flacco is a late add to the Senior Bowl roster thanks to Boston College's Matt Ryan backing out. In order to maximize his projected draft value as a possible second-rounder, Flacco must prove capable of competing with the "big boys" in Mobile this week.

JOE FLACCO

PLAYER AGE SCHOOL NO. POSITION

Joe Flacco 23 Delaware 5 QB

Height 6-6¼ -- One of the tallest QBs in this year's class. Massive frame and great for seeing entire field, but bordering on too tall.

Weight 232 -- Ideal bulk for his height. Is sturdy, but not too bulky.

Speed 4.90 -- While he lacks burst to run away from defenders, Flacco is deceptively mobile. He moves around well for such a massive QB and also throws well on the run.

Intelligence Adequate in this regard. Picks up new schemes quickly but decision-making still needs work.

Toughness Extremely tough quarterback. Will play through pain and isn't afraid to hang in the pocket and take the big hit.

Strength/Flex Very strong. Can break tackles as a runner and is able to throw with defenders hanging on his legs. Is adequately flexible, especially considering his enormous frame.

Durability Has not missed playing time due to injury. Played sparingly at Pittsburgh before transferring to Delaware, where he was a full-time starter the past two seasons.

Character No glaring issues here. Very competitive, but is he a natural leader? Scouts will look for answers to why he left Pitt instead of sticking around and competing for playing time at the highest level.

Production Outstanding production the past two seasons. Earned All-America honors as a senior in 2007 and led the Blue Hens to the FCS national title game. Level of competition must be taken into consideration, though.

QB SPECIFICS

Arm Strength A- Displays a big-time arm. Not JaMarcus Russell from last year's class, but only a notch below that level. Has the strongest arm of Senior Bowl QBs and should rank among upper-echelon in that department at the next level.

Escape Ability B- Deceptively mobile, especially for his size. Shows a good mental clock and knows when to take off out of the pocket.

Quick Set Up C+ Adequate but not ideal. Spent more time in shotgun in college, so footwork still needs some polishing here. Will never have elite quickness but can reach good-level with more reps.

Accuracy Long B Has good accuracy and should only improve with more experience throwing vertically in the NFL. Certainly has the zip to drive it down the field and fit it into tight spots.

Accuracy Short B+ Actually spent more time throwing short-to-intermediate in college, so has learned how to lead receivers and change velocities well.

Locate Second Receiver B Has great height so he sees entire field, but needs to learn to read coverage while dropping after spending majority of college career working out of the shotgun.

Running Ability C Not a huge threat but is more mobile than measurables would indicate. A lot like Ben Roethlisberger in this department. He builds speed as he goes and a tough runner in open field. Flacco also can throw very effectively on the run.

Quickness of Delivery B Adequate-to-good release quickness. Effortless on deep ball.

Judgement C+ Can improve in this area. Sees entire field and knows how to go through progressions properly. But trusts his arm too much at time, which leads to critical errors throwing the ball into traffic.

Poise B+ Very poised in the pocket. Is not afraid to take hits when following through and is strong enough to throw with defenders grabbing at him.

PRACTICE NOTES

Monday (1/21/08): Flacco had a terribly disappointing first day on the practice field. This isn't to say that the tall, strong-armed quarterback with sneaky athleticism will not rebound as the week progresses, but there is no denying he was extremely out of sorts today. Flacco botched snaps, bumped into his running back on a handoff and made his receivers work far too hard for simple receptions against air. He looked nervous and deliberate in all of his movements.

Tuesday (1/22/08): Flacco made some strides in Tuesday's practice, but still doesn't seem to be completely comfortable. The good news: Flacco handled the center exchange without any hiccups today and showed a much better feel for the playbook. He also was able to show off his rifle arm on a few strikes during seven-on-seven drills. The bad news: Flacco is still struggling with the timing of his throws. He doesn't seem to know the speed of his receivers yet and is late on a lot of the timing routes. As a result, he really looks tentative at times and his accuracy is suffering as a result. It's fair to say Flacco's overall showing thus far has been a disappointment. He can still salvage his draft stock by finishing strong in the final two practices and the game, but time is running out.

Wednesday (1/23/08): Flacco is playing and throwing the football with much more confidence than earlier in the week. The small-school signal caller is getting up to speed and could be primed for a solid outing in the game. He is up on the balls of his feet, has more spring in his step and looks far more confident even when he is observing. He still had some struggles, but Flacco was particularly good conducting the goal line offense at the end of practice where he froze the coverage with pump fakes and play action while converting touchdowns at a nice rate.

SUMMARY

Flacco has made enormous strides from the guy that struggled with the center exchange and the overall timing of the offense on Monday. In fact, it would be fair to say Flacco's Senior Bowl performance -- from beginning to end this week -- improved more than any other player. Flacco is deceptively mobile, throws well on the run and has the strongest arm of the signal callers in Mobile. Also, of the six quarterbacks on hand, Flacco was the most efficient passer in the rain on Thursday. It was important for the small school product to prove he can hang with the "big boys" and Flacco did just that. Don't be surprised if he comes off the 2008 draft board as early as the second round.

Henne was the next in line with a B-. Flacco was A-

TD trade down this draft is deeper than the ocean!

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the first thing about this kid, but here is my question.

Everything I've read says he has all the physical tools to be a good QB, but there are questions about his ability to adjust to the NFL game and to read NFL defenses. To me, this is on the coaching staff. While maybe it will take him longer to develop as some other QB's, I believe it's the coaching staff's job to develop physical tools.

This has been the QB I wanted most from day one , Keep in mind , For The Pick ! I always go with best player for the pick in all postions . I like this guys upside very much , he reminds me a lot of Schaub but is not near as ready , but I think he has the brain to get there in a year to where Schoub was when he came in , but you have to remember Schaub was way ahead of most of the QBs when he came in/

This has been the QB I wanted most from day one , Keep in mind , For The Pick ! I always go with best player for the pick in all postions . I like this guys upside very much , he reminds me a lot of Schaub but is not near as ready , but I think he has the brain to get there in a year to where Schoub was when he came in , but you have to remember Schaub was way ahead of most of the QBs when he came in/

Flacco would be a great pic, if we could get him in 3rd round or below. I guess I'll be happy if we take him anywhere though. Just hope we address the greatest needs first. There are guys that get payed to do that thinking for the falcons, let's just hope they do a better job than their predesesors(sp?)

I dont think a guy like that is going to make it to the 3rd round. We need to TRADE DOWN in the 1st round and get some more picks and pick him for one of our high 2nd round picks...I always thought you can get great value in the 2nd round without the Money/holdouts etc of the 1st round...I would much rather have Franco than Ryan...

He's got too good a combination of size and arm strength to make the 3rd round.

I think he's worth taking a shot on in the 2nd.

We have a pretty solid QB coach we retained in Bill Musgrave.

Im sure he could mold this kid but as fans it would require some big time patience. He won't be ready for a couple years.

Josh Johnson may actually be less of a project than Flacco

busboyisback (2/2/2008)
He's got too good a combination of size and arm strength to make the 3rd round.

I think he's worth taking a shot on in the 2nd.

We have a pretty solid QB coach we retained in Bill Musgrave.

Im sure he could mold this kid but as fans it would require some big time patience. He won't be ready for a couple years.

Josh Johnson may actually be less of a project than Flacco

Agree with all of you saying Flacco won't be there in 3rd round. I know the Chicago Bears are interested in Flacco and would most likely take him with their 2nd round pick - which is ahead of our second 2nd rounder.

If we all believe that Flacco is the future Atlanta Falcons starter - 2009 - then he is very much worth the 2nd round pick......I would love to get Flacco with the late 2nd rounder or a 3rd rounder but I believe we would lose him at that point.

Now, if we are not "locked in" on Flacco and like say a Chad Henne as well as Flacco - then maybe we could wait until at least our second 2nd rounder and take whomever is there.