#31 Atlanta Falcons

09.13.07, 6:00 PM ET

www.atlantafalcons.com

Team Value 1 $796 mil

Atlanta Falcons

are owned by Arthur Blank (Net Worth: $1.3 billion),

who bought them in 2002

for $545 mil.

Sport: Portion of franchise's value attributable to revenue shared among all teams. Market: Portion of franchise's value attributable to its city and market size. Stadium: Portion of franchise's value attributable to its stadium. Brand Management: Portion of franchise's value attributable to the management of its brand.

The skinny

It's been a dark 2007 for the Atlanta Falcons with the gruesome dogfighting charges against the face of the franchise, quarterback Michael Vick. One thing that has gone right for the franchise this year is a $25 million renovation of the state-owned Georgia Dome. The changes include the addition of two new LED video boards that wrap around the stadium and the elimination of 40 suites which were replaced by 8 new "super-suites". The team also renovated some existing suites and jacked up the average price more than 50%. Even with the changes, the team still has one of the league's lowest revenues thanks to an onerous lease that requires team owner Arthur Blank to share luxury suite and marketing revenues with the state.

Major corporate sponsors are Ford Motor (nyse: F), Home Depot (nyse: HD), Coca-Cola (nyse: KO), Verizon Communications (nyse: VZ), AT&T (nyse: T).

1-Yr Value Chg. 9%

Ann. Value Chg. 2 8%

Debt/Value 3 34%

Revenue 4 $185 mil

Operating Income 5 $-3.4 mil

Player Expenses 6 $138 mil (anyone know how much is dead money)

Gate Receipts 7 $42 mil

july425 (2/1/2008)
Forbes magazine does all the sports franchises every year. It says 2007, but really these are the numbers for 2006. You can look up the past years too.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/30/biz_07...ml?boxes=custom

Next to last (shakes head and shrugges shoulders) :pinch: doh?

Rank Team Current Value ($mil) 1-Yr Value Change (%) Debt/Value (%) Revenue ($mil) Operating Income ($mil)

17 Green Bay Packers 927 2 4 197 20.3

18 Tennessee Titans 922 4 14 196 24.2

19 Seattle Seahawks 921 4 13 196 -2.6

20 Cincinnati Bengals 912 11 11 194 11.7

21 Indianapolis Colts 911 9 11 184 -17.3

22 St Louis Rams 908 8 4 193 17.9

23 Arizona Cardinals 888 13 17 189 4.6

24 Detroit Lions 870 4 40 189 -1.8

25 New Orleans Saints 854 16 15 194 25.2

26 San Diego Chargers 826 13 12 192 19.2

27 Buffalo Bills 821 9 9 189 34.6

28 Oakland Raiders 812 10 7 189 46.2

29 Jacksonville Jaguars 811 9 14 189 22.1

30 San Francisco 49ers 799 9 13 186 9.9

31 Atlanta Falcons 796 9 34 185 -3.4

32 Minnesota Vikings 782 9 40 182 -19.1

Smashmouth (2/2/2008)
july425 (2/1/2008)
Forbes magazine does all the sports franchises every year. It says 2007, but really these are the numbers for 2006. You can look up the past years too.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/30/biz_07...ml?boxes=custom

Next to last (shakes head and shrugges shoulders) :pinch: doh?

THat's mostly because Blank doesn't own the stadium though and the current lease isn't very lucrative for him (well it is by my meekly standards, but not in NFL world). What I want to see is the gate receipts for the 2007 season. That has increased every year since Blank bought the team(and not just because the ticket prices increased), but I think it dropped sharply this past season.

july425 (2/2/2008)
THat's mostly because Blank doesn't own the stadium though and the current lease isn't very lucrative for him (well it is by my meekly standards, but not in NFL world). What I want to see is the gate receipts for the 2007 season. That has increased every year since Blank bought the team(and not just because the ticket prices increased), but I think it dropped sharply this past season.

Oh.. I know that!

However...

If you look at what he paid Michael Vick 130 Mil that is roughly 1/2 the franchise profit value. Essentially making Vick a partner.

Afterall Vick "by in large" was directly responsible for those profits to begin with.

Too bad Vick didn't have me in his ear back then. ;)

That dog crap would've gone bye bye a long time ago. :pinch: :crazy:

Smashmouth (2/2/2008)
july425 (2/2/2008)

Oh.. I know that!

However...

If you look at what he paid Michael Vick 130 Mil that is roughly 1/2 the franchise profit value. Essentially making Vick a partner.

Afterall Vick "by in large" was directly responsible for those profits to begin with.

Too bad Vick didn't have me in his ear back then. ;)

That dog crap would've gone bye bye a long time ago. :pinch: :crazy:

LOL.....you're right...and those gate receipts that MV was responsible for are about to take a further nosedive. This season, if you live in Atlanta, get ready to listen to the games like its 1938.

july425 (2/2/2008)
LOL.....you're right...and those gate receipts that MV was responsible for are about to take a further nosedive. This season, if you live in Atlanta, get ready to listen to the games like its 1938.

You know...

I've been ragging on AB lately mainly because he let McKay drive up the cap with a lot of dead money on talent that was dead sad and yet he kept him around.

However,

I really don't blame A. Blank one ioda for being fair, if anything the man is fair to a fault.

Mike Vick should really make amends with A. Blank for his part in this debacle.

I hope Mr.Blank gives him a chance to do just that. :)

Gerber09 (2/2/2008)
Simple explanation for running up the cap worse teams spend more in the draft and more in FA because what player chooses to come to a bad team for less money.

Point taken...

But Vick did give the team a legitimate shot at the playoffs year to year and quality FA's wanted to play with him. Randy Moss and Joe Horn come to mind.