Will We Even Re-Sign Redman?

formul8or

I hope they resign him, the Falcons seemed like they had a spark when he came in... that was something they lacked with the other QB's.

To come in off the bench and be able to be that effective... it would be nuts to not at least offer him something.

The only thing is, he was using Petrino's college system... a system he ran for Petrino for years. Will he be that effective in Smith or Mulark's System???? That remains to be seen, but I would give him an offer to atleast see. I think Redman is one of those players that you can't see how good he is until he is in a game. There is more to being a QB than standing there and throwing it. Even great arms turn to crap when being pressured by the NFL D's... Redman was very composed, something Harrington and Leftwich weren't able to do. Redman seems to be a field general, it would be a shame to let him slip by... IMO.

What I saw from Reman in limited time last season wasnt the system he was in but that he was aware of the talent makeup on the team. He was quick to deliver the ball with very good accuracy and showed good arm strength as well.

I dont think he will be the answer to this teams QB toubles but he will serve as a very good stopgap and potential backup in the future. The Falcons may only sign him for one year though.

Harrington should go...seriously. He is a nice enough guy, and he helped win a game or two last season for us, but he is not an NFL calibre QB.

Lefty...well he didnt get a whole offseason to work in the system, and was always a little injured. At the very least though, he has a history of OK QB play.

I can't believe ya'll want to keep Leftwich over Harrington. With the money angle, isn't Harrington cheaper to keep on staff? I've seen all I need to see of Sandwich. Chris is my first choice, but Harrington will be an ok backup if they shore up the OL. Not that I wouldn't support Lefty if they keep him around, I just don't think he'd be playing enough to need any support. Even if they fix the OL, he might get a hangnail or something... :P

I like Shockley but I don't think he is in the picture.

Leftwich needs a much better line than we are likely

to have to be effective. Harrington should be traded

to San Francisco or Seattle, somewhere he could get

"another fresh start." I still think he can get it done but

not here. Redman, Shockley and a draft pick is what I

hope happens.

Guest Libid21
Oddy (2/1/2008)
I hope they resign him, the Falcons seemed like they had a spark when he came in... that was something they lacked with the other QB's.

To come in off the bench and be able to be that effective... it would be nuts to not at least offer him something.

The only thing is, he was using Petrino's college system... a system he ran for Petrino for years. Will he be that effective in Smith or Mulark's System???? That remains to be seen, but I would give him an offer to atleast see. I think Redman is one of those players that you can't see how good he is until he is in a game. There is more to being a QB than standing there and throwing it. Even great arms turn to crap when being pressured by the NFL D's... Redman was very composed, something Harrington and Leftwich weren't able to do. Redman seems to be a field general, it would be a shame to let him slip by... IMO.

Wow. Thanks for posting the clearly obvious.

Redman didn't play in Petrino's offense for years. He played in it for 1 year.

And I agree with the thought of who knows how ? is gonna do in the new offense.

Who knows, this new offense could be the one that allows any of the three QB's a breakout year.

rose colored glasses firmly in place...;)

rideordiefalcons (2/1/2008)
Shockley will prove to the best of the three to run this team in their rebuilding mode. Look for him to Start with Lefty as backup...and the team will draft the QB of the future.

I agree about Shockley, Redman as of right now is not on the team and I doubt will be resigned. Harrington will stay and will be an experienced backup for Shockley. Leftwich is gone too because Harrington has a contract and it would be alittle cheaper to keep him and not Lefty.

LADBABY (2/1/2008)
I like Shockley but I don't think he is in the picture.

Leftwich needs a much better line than we are likely

to have to be effective. Harrington should be traded

to San Francisco or Seattle, somewhere he could get

"another fresh start." I still think he can get it done but

not here. Redman, Shockley and a draft pick is what I

hope happens.

This is pretty much the same system that Shock played in in college. If anybody besides Redman has a leg up it is Shock. All you haters can say what you want and cry homer, but the man excelled in a very similar system under Richt. He's a very good fit for it and I'm eager to hear what Mularkey has to say about him after a few practices.

Edit: I'm not calling you a hater LADBABY.

Redman is easily the best QB we have. He has been composed under pressure, accurate, has timing, and has an arm as well. The deep pass to Robinson, the lob pass to Roddy in the back of the end zone, the line pass straight to Roddy when he ran a slant for a TD while under pressure. He does it all, and does it well.

Shockley may be good, he may not. However, he isn't proven. We have someone who has had a history of minor during his early NFL career who was knocked out do to a serious back injury doing very well. As I said, Shockley may be well. However, the only thing Shockley has is a bad pre-season game mixed in a with a single good drive he made with his legs in a game before he was injured. Joey or Leftwich should be back-up, Redman should be starter, and Shockley will either end up back-up or cut depending on how well he comes back from injury/performance in pre-season.

The Falcon Ace (2/1/2008)
Redman is easily the best QB we have. He has been composed under pressure, accurate, has timing, and has an arm as well. The deep pass to Robinson, the lob pass to Roddy in the back of the end zone, the line pass straight to Roddy when he ran a slant for a TD while under pressure. He does it all, and does it well.

Shockley may be good, he may not. However, he isn't proven. We have someone who has had a history of minor during his early NFL career who was knocked out do to a serious back injury doing very well. As I said, Shockley may be well. However, the only thing Shockley has is a bad pre-season game mixed in a with a single good drive he made with his legs in a game before he was injured. Joey or Leftwich should be back-up, Redman should be starter, and Shockley will either end up back-up or cut depending on how well he comes back from injury/performance in pre-season.

I'm sure they will all have to compete again to see who fits a particular system but imo redman did well considering the team status. personally i would like to see redman revive his career like kurt warner did and hopefully in a falcons uniform but if not here then somewhere . id also like to see the falcons work on other key areas and not worry about a qb immediately out of the draft

formul8or (2/1/2008)
He seemed to be a comeback player, and now other teams may give him another look as a backup. They may offer him more than us if we even make an offer. Our new staff may not even want him.

So the question is, do you believe he will be a Falcon next year?

<<<<

Redman better be on the team or I am going to lose all confidence in our new GM and Head coach at knowing good talent. Redman looked great in that last game and should be the starting QB until someone beats him out..

kenk (2/1/2008)
formul8or (2/1/2008)
He seemed to be a comeback player, and now other teams may give him another look as a backup. They may offer him more than us if we even make an offer. Our new staff may not even want him.

So the question is, do you believe he will be a Falcon next year?

<<<<

Redman better be on the team or I am going to lose all confidence in our new GM and Head coach at knowing good talent. Redman looked great in that last game and should be the starting QB until someone beats him out..

yea playing against 2nd/3rd string defense in a game that did matter.