if pacman gets reinstated for next season....

falconsstomp

Sources: Titans' Jones unlikely to be reinstated immediately

ESPN.com news services

Representatives for suspended Titans cornerback Pacman Jones have been told not to expect Jones to be reinstated in the immediate future, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

High-ranking NFL officials said in a conference call with Jones' representatives Tuesday that the cornerback is unlikely to be reinstated immediately, sources said. Jones was hoping to be reinstated following the Super Bowl.

Also on Tuesday, the Tennessee Titans informed Jones and his representatives in a meeting that they plan to attempt to trade him, but Jones can't be traded until he is reinstated.

The Titans had no comment on Jones' status, and an NFL spokesman told ESPN a decision on Jones will be made in the offseason, and the offseason doesn't begin until after the Super Bowl.

Separately, a Tennessee judge dismissed two misdemeanor charges Thursday from an incident Aug. 25, 2006, leaving only one Georgia criminal charge still pending against him. But Jones didn't help himself by being in an Atlanta strip club Jan. 3 while the Titans were prepping for a playoff game.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Mark Humphrey

Pacman Jones was spared charges in Tennessee when a district attorney and judge decided he has been punished enough.

An attorney who asked that Jones be arrested for allegedly punching her withdrew her request Jan. 16. Atlanta police said Thursday they will not investigate Jones without the victim's help.

Worrick Robinson, one of Jones' attorneys, said the issue of the cornerback being in a club remained and that there's no excuse for that.

"He's a grown man. ... But he's got to take responsibility for his actions. When he's asked, he's going to have to step up and say he was there, that there is no excuse," Robinson said.

Goodell's strict standards are well documented.

Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman is hoping for full reinstatement by April after sitting out the last two seasons.

Originally suspended the first four games of the 2006 season for skipping a drug test, the punishment was extended to a full season after a drunk driving arrest. Two Georgia men accused Thurman of kicking and hitting them at a party last June. No charges were filed, but Goodell turned down Thurman's request to reinstate him for last season.

The Titans might not want Jones back.

They went from giving up the most yards defensively in the NFL with Jones in 2006 to fifth best and a 10-6 record with a playoff berth without him. A video popped up recently on the Internet showing Jones saying he saw himself in Dallas with a couple Pro Bowls in two or three years.

Jones did not comment Thursday when asked if he had done enough to be reinstated. Robinson said the video was shot last summer when Jones was upset at not being allowed to take part in training camp.

"He still considers himself to be a member of the Titans' team until he's told otherwise. We don't have any reason to think otherwise. But again, he's got to be reinstated before that hurdle can be crossed," Robinson said.

One step in that direction came with the dismissal of misdemeanor public intoxication and disorderly conduct charges stemming from an incident Aug. 25, 2006, outside a club in this Nashville suburb.

Jones had been upset over his missing wallet and was arrested after cursing at officers before leaving.

With Jones' no contest plea in Las Vegas on Dec. 6, he now has only one pending charge of felony obstruction left in Georgia from a February 2006 encounter with a police officer. A hearing in that case has been postponed until March.

The most authorities here could have punished Jones was a $50 fine for each charge, and District Attorney William Whitesell said the Titans cornerback had been punished much more for his behavior through the league's suspension.

He missed out on $1.29 million in base salary.

This case had been settled a year ago. Jones had to pay court costs and go through anger management with the judge telling him to stay out of trouble for six months.

But Las Vegas police named Jones as the person who incited a fight inside a strip club on Feb. 19, 2007, that led to a triple shooting that left one man paralyzed. Whitesell argued last July that Jones being charged in Nevada was enough to show that the cornerback did not follow the agreement.

Jones pleaded no contest Dec. 6 in Las Vegas to conspiracy to commit disorderly conduct in a plea deal reducing two felony charges.

Before dismissing these charges, the prosecutor asked Jones to apologize to the officer in writing, which he did.

"Mr. Jones hopefully has learned something and been punished enough," Whitesell said.

The judge also asked Jones to speak to the court, and the cornerback said he has learned a lot about dealing with others and how to conduct himself.

"It won't happen again," he said.

Information from ESPN's Chris Mortensen and The Associated Press was used in this report.

pacman has caused more trouble then vick throught their whole nfl careers, pacman has gave the nfl a bad name, vick hasnt been in trouble like that. now i know some of you haters will be like, why are you bringing vick back up, he will never be a falcon again, blah blah blah...its the principle of the situation right now, once vick gets out, if the commish allows pacman back into the nfl, vick shouldnt be punished by the nfl once he gets out and be allowed to play in the 2009 season. he has suffered enough. the state should drop there charges, whats the point in keeping him in jail longer for the same charge the feds got him with? he has learned his lesson.

The_ ATL (2/1/2008)
I'm sitting here wondering. How many times has Pac Man been indicted by the federal government?

how many times has vick been caught in strip clubs, or allegedly hittin a woman in a strip club??it goes both ways. they both have done things bad, and if wouldnt be right to punish one more then the other even though one is already being punished in jail, and missing 2 seasons.

Here are some key quotes from the article

Representatives for suspended Titans cornerback Pacman Jones have been told not to expect Jones to be reinstated in the immediate future, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Goodell's strict standards are well documented.

Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman is hoping for full reinstatement by April after sitting out the last two seasons.

Originally suspended the first four games of the 2006 season for skipping a drug test, the punishment was extended to a full season after a drunk driving arrest. Two Georgia men accused Thurman of kicking and hitting them at a party last June. No charges were filed, but Goodell turned down Thurman's request to reinstate him for last season.

With Jones' no contest plea in Las Vegas on Dec. 6, he now has only one pending charge of felony obstruction left in Georgia from a February 2006 encounter with a police officer. A hearing in that case has been postponed until March.

Note: Goodell has not lifted the suspension on Odell Thurman though he only got popped for DUI and not taking a drug test

Note: Nowhere does it say Pacman's suspension will be lifted for next year

Note: Pacman still has a felony charge pending

falconsstomp (2/1/2008)
pacman has caused more trouble then vick throught their whole nfl careers, pacman has gave the nfl a bad name, vick hasnt been in trouble like that. now i know some of you haters will be like, why are you bringing vick back up, he will never be a falcon again, blah blah blah...its the principle of the situation right now, once vick gets out, if the commish allows pacman back into the nfl, vick shouldnt be punished by the nfl once he gets out and be allowed to play in the 2009 season. he has suffered enough. the state should drop there charges, whats the point in keeping him in jail longer for the same charge the feds got him with? he has learned his lesson.

Sorry I missed the part about Pac Man being indicted. Oh wait......

dzor22 (2/1/2008)
Im hoping one day you can come to terms with reality. Vick was convicted of...

oh never mind. Just keep waiitng for the "second coming".

u and only a handfull of haters will continue to hate vick and not want him anywhere associated with the falcons, but when he comes back, please become bucs fans..what was the point of you bringin up he was convicted??ok we all know that, so, he is in jail now. so you sayin even when he gets out and pays his debt to society, you will still hold a grudge on a man who singlehandedly is the most exciting player in the nfl, who singlehandly and i do mean singlehandedly sold the dome out 5 or 6 years in a row??

falconsstomp (2/1/2008)
dzor22 (2/1/2008)

u and only a handfull of haters will continue to hate vick and not want him anywhere associated with the falcons, but when he comes back, please become bucs fans..what was the point of you bringin up he was convicted??ok we all know that, so, he is in jail now. so you sayin even when he gets out and pays his debt to society, you will still hold a grudge on a man who singlehandedly is the most exciting player in the nfl, who singlehandly and i do mean singlehandedly sold the dome out 5 or 6 years in a row??

He hasnt been the most exciting player in the NFL since 2004. And what makes you so sure that he will be with the Falcons? They will have their QB by 2010 when he is actually allowed to play.

The_ ATL (2/1/2008)
falconsstomp (2/1/2008)
dzor22 (2/1/2008)

He hasnt been the most exciting player in the NFL since 2004. And what makes you so sure that he will be with the Falcons? They will have their QB by 2010 when he is actually allowed to play.

because blank hasnt shut the door on him returning to the falcons. everytime that questions pops up in an interview, he would beat around the bush but not give a simple yes or no..if blank feels like he was slapped in the face by vick, he would of said, **** no vick aint coming back to my team. blank knows vick is responsible for selling out the dome, fans wanted to see him, and vick brought in the money. and of course there will be a QB before 2009, not 2010, but no one knows who it could be..it could be a rookie, a vet or someone on our roster now. look how well david garrad panned out by sitting his first couple of seasons. no rookie QB i dont care who is it, is gonna walk in the nfl and start right away, so it would be best to get a proven vet winner and let the rookie sit for 2 or 3 years.

geraldg (2/1/2008)
Did the Bengals cut Odell Thurman? If so, would he want to come back and play for his old college coach in Atlanta?

dont think they cut him..i doubt they will, he has potential to be a great linebacker in cincy. thats another prime example. i mean the dude made one mistake..now i dont follow the bengals that well, but i besides the reason he is suspended now, ive never heard of him ever getting in trouble like that. if anyone can say otherwise, please feel free.

I cant believe some of you guys cant figure out why Blank hasnt shut the door on him. Do you realize how hard the NFLPA would come down on him if he did that?

The Falcons will draft or trade for the future this offeseason, if he is a rookie he will sit this year and play neaxt year. Vick will not be reinstated into the league before 2010. By then the only opening for him here will be kick returner but Norwood has that covered.

I cant understand for the life of me why anyone would want a lying, selfish d-bag back on this team. He was one of my favorite players here but I've seen the type of teammate and person he is and the Falcons organization is working towards moving past this, not reliving it.

The_ ATL (2/1/2008)
wd28 (2/1/2008)
The_ ATL (2/1/2008)
I'm sitting here wondering. How many times has Pac Man been indicted by the federal government?

Too many to keep track of.

By 'too man to keep track of' do you mean ZERO?

Sorry. He's had so many run-ins with the law period I totally over looked the "federal government" part of your statement.

falconsstomp (2/1/2008)

When were you ever off the bandwagon?