Florida DT cited for underage drinking.

SacFalcFan

Florida DT cited for underage drinking

By STAFF REPORTS

AJC

Published on: 01/31/08

A rum and coke has gotten Florida defensive tackle Torrey Davis in a little trouble.

According to a report by The Gainesville Sun, Davis was cited for misdemeanor underage drinking on Jan. 19 and is facing a Feb. 7 court date.

According to the report, Davis was holding the drink outside a downtown nightclub. He admitted to drinking the rum and coke in the citation.

Gators coach Urban Meyer was unavailable for comment Wednesday.

Davis appeared in eight games this past season as a true freshman, recording one tackle.

SacFalcFan (1/31/2008)

By STAFF REPORTS

AJC

A rum and coke has gotten Florida defensive tackle Torrey Davis in a little trouble.

According to a report by The Gainesville Sun, Davis was cited for misdemeanor underage drinking on Jan. 19 and is facing a Feb. 7 court date.

According to the report, Davis was holding the drink outside a downtown nightclub. He admitted to drinking the rum and coke in the citation.

Davis appeared in eight games this past season as a true freshman, recording one tackle.

The last sentence makes me not care. Torrey Davis was such a gigantic disappointment that I couldn't care less if he was removed from the team altogether.

Headshot (1/31/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/31/2008)

By STAFF REPORTS

AJC

The last sentence makes me not care. Torrey Davis was such a gigantic disappointment that I couldn't care less if he was removed from the team altogether.

If that is really how you feel then in comparison almost the whole defense should be gone with the way most of them played last year. Give the kid a break. He played in 8 games but alot of it was in mop up and just quick breather roles. He will get better and was much more impressive in late season practices. This is a very big example of a kid getting labled with that 5 star tag and then being called a let down just becasue he didnt light it up the first year on campus.

Headshot (1/31/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/31/2008)

By STAFF REPORTS

AJC

I think at times we get spoiled by the true freshman who come in and make impacts right away (like rennie curran and trinton Sturdivant for uga), but there are many more guys who really don't get going until their sophomore or in some cases even their junior year. The transition from high school to college can be harder for some guys than others that's why if you can redshirt a guy and not have to play him it's much better so that the player can get comfortable with the transition and remember guys grow so much physically that first year of college. I know with the star rankings we sometimes expect more from some kids than others, but IMO if you get big output from true freshman that's just a huge plus since you hopefully don't have to recruit for holes you have to fill this year (see uga's and auburn's offensive lines last year). One thing I like are guys like aj harmon and deangelo tyson have both said they want to redshirt so they can deal with the transition first and get physically where they can compete at a high level in the sec.

Headshot (1/31/2008)
SacFalcFan (1/31/2008)

By STAFF REPORTS

AJC

Uh..... It's college man. It's not like he's an established Free Agent coming to a new team in the NFL. Also, shouldnt you be upset about the coaching staff wasting the kid's redshirt? Not at the kid who wasnt ready to play?

Yea I probably got a little ahead of myself with the disappointment comment. I've been spoiled by Harvin, Tebow, and even Chris Leak over the past few years. Hopefully he'll just be disciplined and work even harder.

But for whoever asked, no I'm not mad at the coaching staff wasting his redshirt. I learned very quickly that Urban Meyer doesn't redshirt a whole lot of kids. In hind sight, sure giving Davis the redshirt in favor of letting John Brown get playing time probably would have been a bit better, but what can you do? Davis obviously showed he would make more of an impact as a TF than Brown during the offseason, but it didn't really translate once the games started.

Meyer depends heavily on his freshman, at least right now as we are one of the youngest teams in the NCAA. In the next year or so I expect him to trust heavily in his upperclassmen .