A good draft plan

cutshot

cutshot (1/31/2008)
I liked the Jet's draft last year. For a rebuild year they drafted D'Brickashaw as the left tackle, then they took Mangold , a great guard-center, and got Clemmons, a good young QB in a later round.

While that is a good plan, it hasn't necessarily worked out well for them. It doesn't automatically translate to success.

L.Rover (1/31/2008)
cutshot (1/31/2008)
I liked the Jet's draft last year. For a rebuild year they drafted D'Brickashaw as the left tackle, then they took Mangold , a great guard-center, and got Clemmons, a good young QB in a later round.

While that is a good plan, it hasn't necessarily worked out well for them. It doesn't automatically translate to success.

No because D'Brickashaw has been a bust. the only really successful drafting plan is getting good players the majority of the time. every team has disappointments and busts even the Patriots. but the only way to be successful in the NFL today is drafting well something we have not done well enough at any point in our teams history.

moe szyslak (1/31/2008)

No because D'Brickashaw has been a bust. the only really successful drafting plan is getting good players the majority of the time. every team has disappointments and busts even the Patriots. but the only way to be successful in the NFL today is drafting well something we have not done well enough at any point in our teams history.

Exactly. No matter how good your plan is, the players are the most important. We would be better off drafting good players at positions we already have good players at, than bad players at positions we need players at.

D'Brick hasn't been a flat out bust, but he hasn't lived up to what they needed. What is noteworthy, however, is that I believe all but one of their picks made the team. That's a good draft... particularly in a rebuilding phase.

Also, Clemens was a 2nd round pick... so it's not like they picked up a serviceable QB on day 2 or something.

You guys are also talking about the 2006 draft... not 2007. The Jets had 4 picks in the whole draft last year.

DrDetecto (1/31/2008)
moe szyslak (1/31/2008)

Exactly. No matter how good your plan is, the players are the most important. We would be better off drafting good players at positions we already have good players at, than bad players at positions we need players at.

EX-GOT-D@MN-ACTLY!!!

cutshot (1/31/2008)

I like the Patriots 2001 plan.

Richard Seymour and Matt Light.

Gotta start in the trenches. And since defense wins championships, might as well start there first.

Not to mention it's a stronger OT class than DT class which is all the more reason to take the DT first

busboyisback (2/1/2008)

Richard Seymour and Matt Light.

Gotta start in the trenches. And since defense wins championships, might as well start there first.

Yup. If we don't acquire a DT in free agency and we don't trade down, I think Dorsey/Ellis followed by a LT in round 2 makes the most sense.

Then again, I keep seeing some variations of the board that have Dorsey there at #7, which would mean we could trade down *and* pick him up.