The media says, "The Falcons are in trouble."

Jerry Maguire

"The Falcons are years away." You can probably come up with other quotes that exemplify the concensus of thought from the media. Yet, I don't hear the media saying nearly as much negativity about these teams: Miami, Baltimore, Kansas City, Oakland or even Washington. Realistically I could name a few more teams that are in as bad of shape or worse than Atlanta.

Oakland is getting some bad press, but I don't hear as much of it, maybe I'm just not tuned in,=. And I don't care if the Skins went to the playoffs last season, their football operations are in much worse shape than Atlanta's. Baltimore has a good defense, but it's quite old now, and they have no proven QB either. Kansas City needs help in a lot of places...

But what really gets me is just how bad off the Dolphins are, and they seem to be getting good press. Ok, I understand the Parcells factor, and Jeff Ireland is a good talent evaluator, but no one seems to be saying, "The Dolphins are in trouble!" No one seems to be saying that it will take several years to rebuild that team. if so, I haven't heard it personally. Fact is, with the right people at the top, it won't take ANY team too long to turn a team around, Falcons included.

People look at how terrible a season Atlanta had. With the QB situation and the coaching situation, this could have been the worst turn of events an NFL club has seen, yet the Falcons still won more games than the Dolphins and Rams, and just as many as the Raiders, Jets, and Chiefs. I think most media personalities look at what happened this season and carry it over to the next. This is flawed IMO.

In fact, I think with TD at the top, and with a lot of draft picks last season and this season as well, the Falcons are in better shape than quite a few of the teams in the NFL. A big key will be choosing the right QB and leader of this team.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big problems in Falcons coverage are:

1. Almost all sports writers know little more about the Falcons than what they read off the AP wire.

2. Deservedly or not, teams like the Raiders and Redskins have something of a national following, due to triumphs way back when. (Sometimes waaaaaaaaay back when.) Therefore they get a bit of a pass. The Falcons do not and do not.

3. Most sportswriters are hacks, and it's easier (and more fun) to write articles downgrading players and teams than to write favorably. (Although you may not believe it, the current love-fest for the Patriots must be **** for these writers.)

gotta agree with you on this one. I think it's just tha image Atlanta gives off as being fans. The media eats that factor up. On top of that, we've never had back to back winning seasons.

I wouldnt stress it though. As quick as media outlets say, "they're in tha worst shape," is as quick as they'll say, "I had them winning all along."

The Cush (1/31/2008)
"The Falcons are years away." You can probably come up with other quotes that exemplify the concensus of thought from the media. Yet, I don't hear the media saying nearly as much negativity about these teams: Miami, Baltimore, Kansas City, Oakland or even Washington. Realistically I could name a few more teams that are in as bad of shape or worse than Atlanta.

Oakland is getting some bad press, but I don't hear as much of it, maybe I'm just not tuned in,=. And I don't care if the Skins went to the playoffs last season, their football operations are in much worse shape than Atlanta's. Baltimore has a good defense, but it's quite old now, and they have no proven QB either. Kansas City needs help in a lot of places...

But what really gets me is just how bad off the Dolphins are, and they seem to be getting good press. Ok, I understand the Parcells factor, and Jeff Ireland is a good talent evaluator, but no one seems to be saying, "The Dolphins are in trouble!" No one seems to be saying that it will take several years to rebuild that team. if so, I haven't heard it personally. Fact is, with the right people at the top, it won't take ANY team too long to turn a team around, Falcons included.

People look at how terrible a season Atlanta had. With the QB situation and the coaching situation, this could have been the worst turn of events an NFL club has seen, yet the Falcons still won more games than the Dolphins and Rams, and just as many as the Raiders, Jets, and Chiefs. I think most media personalities look at what happened this season and carry it over to the next. This is flawed IMO.

In fact, I think with TD at the top, and with a lot of draft picks last season and this season as well, the Falcons are in better shape than quite a few of the teams in the NFL. A big key will be choosing the right QB and leader of this team.

Perfect example of how two-faced the media can be. They'll kick a team that is down, and say how great they are when they're winning. After 28 years of hearing this crap year in year out, I've learned to tone this stuff out.

sacfalcon916 (1/31/2008)
I can say one thing for sure, I live on the West Coast and hear more bad press regarding the falcons then I do the raiders...and the Raiders are in allot worse shape. IMO

the falcons are trying to get 20 mil from a player thats convicted of a felon , how many felons and how much $$$$$$$ has the raiders got tied up

We are a long way away. We don't have adequate championship calibre talent at any of the 3 most important offensive positions (QB, OL, RB), and the middle of our defense (DT, MLB, S) is also weak. This team is at least 8 players short (2OL, QB, RB, DT, MLB, S, K) of wher it needs to be, and that's before you consider adding depth.

The good news is that we have a shed load of picks to use in this year's draft, and should have some decent cap space, but it will take 2-3 time for rookies to develop and take this team to new hights.

Play Maka Baka (1/31/2008)
I really dpn't understand the talk against us. If we really looked at our situations even with the stuff that happened this year we were in the majority of our games especially the first 4, so to say we are a long ways away really is something to question about.

you play the game to win, you play the game to win. 4 wins dont cut it unless you have a trophy for categories.although we are upper class of the lower class theres much work to be done

But what I am saying we were in games that we should have won. Our defense kept us in a lot of games but when the offense sputters it's hard for the defense to stay healthy and off the field for long periods of time. If we had remotely shown the stuff that we did at the end of the season with Redman at QB our record could've been much. That's what I am saying.

But what I am saying we were in games that we should have won. Our defense kept us in a lot of games but when the offense sputters it's hard for the defense to stay healthy and off the field for long periods of time. If we had remotely shown the stuff that we did at the end of the season with Redman at QB our record could've been much. That's what I am saying.

the falcons found ways to lose the games, thats what they soecialize in, over 41 yrs. imo next year will be no different. get out your falcons history book. it dont matter if you blame the offense, defense, specila teams, the kicker . the results are pretty much the same

ukfalc (1/31/2008)
We are a long way away. We don't have adequate championship calibre talent at any of the 3 most important offensive positions (QB, OL, RB), and the middle of our defense (DT, MLB, S) is also weak. This team is at least 8 players short (2OL, QB, RB, DT, MLB, S, K) of wher it needs to be, and that's before you consider adding depth.

The good news is that we have a shed load of picks to use in this year's draft, and should have some decent cap space, but it will take 2-3 time for rookies to develop and take this team to new hights.

If you are talking championship, maybe. But the Falcons have a lot of picks this year, and had a lot of them last season. Those picks from last season should see marked improvement. If the Falcons do it right, they can get a franchise QB, OT, and DT out of free agency and the draft, and maybe a MLB, too.

Early this past season, this team was competitive. If the team had only had a good kicker the first few games, they may have won 6 games instead of 4. We have all seen how teams can turn things around very quickly. It takes the right people at the top. I think the Falcons have the right structure now.

consistentfalcon (1/31/2008)

the falcons found ways to lose the games, thats what they soecialize in, over 41 yrs. imo next year will be no different. get out your falcons history book. it dont matter if you blame the offense, defense, specila teams, the kicker . the results are pretty much the same

IMO, what's important is right now. You learn from your past, then you leave it behind. You can't keep looking back expecting things to stay the same if you want a change. You move forward. it's a good thing that our front office is doing this. This mindset is understandable, but it's also what stunts growth.

The Cush (1/31/2008)

F#### the Media !!!!!!!!!!

Did you seriously just say you think Washington isn't too much better off than Atlanta?

Did you seriously just say that two 06 playoff teams aren't much better off than Atlanta?

Miami has Parcells that's why they aren't worse off than us.

You're right about Oakland, they're probably equal to or worse off than us.

Oak and Wash has made some bad moves in the last few weeks , It's crazy what they have done , they had a choice but thier owners have messed with their teams that have been improving a lot last year and they turn aroud and blow it up. I'm glad i'm not a Oak or Wash fan , I'd be very upset with the owners dumb moves .

Yes us and Miami have tow of the worst teams at the moment but both of us are making very good moves lately and we are now going in the right direction , i do think it will be several years before miami can do anything much , but for our team ? Nah , we will turn this thing around this year and all you that know me , You know I don't just sa things BC i wnat it to happen , I reallly believe that this team with all our new Coachs and GMs :laugh: Will be the most improved of the year in 2008 . And will be in the playoffs at least in 2009 and it wouldn't surprice me if we made the playoffs this coming year BC all we need is a couple of DTs and a couple of OTs , with us having a lot of FA money and very high picks and a bunch of them in the strongest DRaft I can ever reamember , We will be the most improved , we are not that far away. Plus with the two back to back good drafts we had the last 2 years , we have a lot of good young players here.

btrain5489 (1/31/2008)
Did you seriously just say you think Washington isn't too much better off than Atlanta?

Did you seriously just say that two 06 playoff teams aren't much better off than Atlanta?

Miami has Parcells that's why they aren't worse off than us.

You're right about Oakland, they're probably equal to or worse off than us.

Yeah, I think Washington is worse off than us. They played possessed at the end of last season after Taylor's death. They won't have that emotion going next year. They dumped their OC and DC. Now, Jason Campbell, who is still a little unproven, has to learn a totally different offense. he hasn't shown enough to say that he is going to be a really good QB. Front Office wise, they are a joke. They hired both co-ordinators without hiring a coach.

Kansas City has no O-Line, no QB, and are still suspect on defense. You tell me how they are better off.

Baltimore has no QB are about to lose Ogden to retirement. The backbone of their team, the defense, is aging, near the end of it's run, unless it is re-stocked. But even with a great defense, they won, what 1 more game than Atlanta? Offensively, they are about to be worse off than the Falcons, because I think Atlanta has found a dynamic set of WRs finally.

Miami has Parcells... how long will he be there? Most people consider Ireland a good talent evaluator, but so is TD. Sparano may be a great coach, but what happens when Parcells leaves? Is that stability? They don't have a proven QB and a much older defense. Atlanta won 4 more games than them. It took OT for them to even win a game last year. Do you really think they are better off than Atlanta?

And they were talking that way even before last season began. While 4-12 isn't anything to write home about, it's still 3-4 games better than some experts seemed to expect.

That's not the way I remember it. As I recall, and I think I'm right on this, every media type I heard said TB was going to be the worst in the division if not one of the worst in the NFL and that NO was going to win the NFC South while the Panthers might be a close 2nd (or last depending on who said it). I think we were pretty much in the 6-10 category of teams by most.

But then again, most of my exposure was from the West Coast, which is often invariably different than the Urinal and its subclass of reporters.

With that said though, I can't say I blame them for saying we are in trouble. Mike Smith is likeable but not proven as an HC, we have DC who - even according to fans - is suddenly Quitrino-ish, a GM who is an under-the-radar kind of guy and who is also inexperienced and being coached/mentored/assisted by the ex-GM, and most of the rest of the coaching staff members are from teams that had worse records than we did.

If I was an unbiased reporter, I'd say Atlanta is going the way of a Pre-Palmer and Pre-Ocho Cinco Bengals team that was better known as the Bungels or Bungholes. Yeah, I wouldn't give us a 1 in 1000 chance in **** of going 7-9.

But, being I'm a homer, I think we're turning the corner and these new coaches will prove all those guys wrong and we'll have our first back to back winning seasons in franchise history under the new regime and that it will be done within the next 3 years, capped off by an NFC Championship appearance and a wildcard appearance in the next 3 years.

But that's just the homer in me speaking. Half way through next season I could be wearing a Jets tobogan again, sitting in the local pub, singing J-E-T-S.... JETS JETS JETS!!!!

celtik

The Cush (1/31/2008)

IMO, what's important is right now. You learn from your past, then you leave it behind. You can't keep looking back expecting things to stay the same if you want a change. You move forward. it's a good thing that our front office is doing this. This mindset is understandable, but it's also what stunts growth.

if the falcons keep learning from their past then how come they keep repeating it or better yet getting worse:w00t::w00t::w00t:

The Cush (1/31/2008)

if the falcons keep learning from their past then how come they keep repeating it or better yet getting worse:w00t::w00t::w00t:

They didn't up until now. Actually I think made some moves that looked good at the time, but turned out bad. Sometimes you have to get wore before you get better.

The team had a QB they thought they could build around, so that's what they did. It didn't work out. I think the whole thing will be an extreme learning experience, and matter of factly, i think the team will start reaping the benefits of such very shortly. Without last season, the Falcons don't hire Dimitroff, which I think was an amazing hire, and they may still be with Petrino, instead of a meat and potatoes coach. They wouldn't be in position to draft an Ellis, Dorsey, or Clady...

The Cush (1/31/2008)
The Cush (1/31/2008)

They didn't up until now. Actually I think made some moves that looked good at the time, but turned out bad. Sometimes you have to get wore before you get better.

The team had a QB they thought they could build around, so that's what they did. It didn't work out. I think the whole thing will be an extreme learning experience, and matter of factly, i think the team will start reaping the benefits of such very shortly. Without last season, the Falcons don't hire Dimitroff, which I think was an amazing hire, and they may still be with Petrino, instead of a meat and potatoes coach. They wouldn't be in position to draft an Ellis, Dorsey, or Clady...

all that sounds good be , some of the best lip service that this regime has given in the last 6 years. problem is it still has to be backed up with evidence. the jury is still out on this. most thought that mora and petrino was excellent hires. i hope the owner and gm dont break their arm patting themselves on the back yet:w00t::w00t:

The Cush (1/31/2008)

If you are talking championship, maybe. But the Falcons have a lot of picks this year, and had a lot of them last season. Those picks from last season should see marked improvement. If the Falcons do it right, they can get a franchise QB, OT, and DT out of free agency and the draft, and maybe a MLB, too.

Early this past season, this team was competitive. If the team had only had a good kicker the first few games, they may have won 6 games instead of 4. We have all seen how teams can turn things around very quickly. It takes the right people at the top. I think the Falcons have the right structure now.

We do have a lot of pick, but let's be realsitic. OL and QB's take a minimum of 2 years, and normally at least 3 to find their feet in this league and we will have several youngs players in key postions. It will be 2009 at the earliest before we see any significant improvement resulting from this year's draft.

We have a great opportunity to turn things around, but it will take time. We need to build for the future via the draft and be patient, rather than seeking quick fixes via FA.