Let's talk assistant coaches...

Jerry Maguire

It's quite ordinary for a team to hire a young, college coach as the quality control guy. They don't get talked about very often, but it's usually how young college coaches get their entrance into the NFL, and I think it's how Mike Smith got his first gig, if I recall correctly.

Glenn Thomas looks like an outstanding hire. This article is from the Midwestern State University's athletic site.

http://msumustangs.athleticsite.com/articl...p?articleID=975

1/27/2008

MSU's Thomas hired as quality control coach by Atlanta Falcons

07_Glenn_Thomas_1.jpg

Glenn Thomas (background) directed MSU offenses to four of the top six seasons in school history in terms of total offense output including a program-best 6,043 yards in 11 games in 2007.

WICHITA FALLS, Texas Glenn Thomas set the standard for offensive production in his four seasons as offensive coordinator at Midwestern State.

Now, he will have the opportunity to coach at the professional level after new Atlanta Falcons head coach Mike Smith hired him as an offensive quality control coach.

Glenn did a great job for us as proven by our offensive productivity, MSU coach Bill Maskill said. He s a good coach, a great person and an even better friend. We re excited about his opportunity. It s not often for a coach his age to get this kind of an opportunity.

Thomas will serve under Mike Mularkey, who was named as offensive earlier this week. Mularkey has served in the same role with the Miami Dolphins in 2006 and with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2001-03.

I m very fortunate to have this opportunity. I ve been extremely lucky to be involved with different NFL organizations while working at Midwestern, Thomas said. I ve seen the day-to-day operations, so it s not as intimidating. I know what to expect.

The 30-year-old Thomas served three seasons as a graduate assistant for wide receivers before he was named offensive coordinator prior to the 2004 season.

The Mustangs offensive production increased in each of Thomas four seasons as Midwestern State advanced to the postseason in two of those seasons.

His offenses led NCAA Division II in regular season yardage over the past two seasons as the Mustangs averaged 436.5 yards in 2006 before setting the school standard at 549.4 yards this season.

Midwestern State was sixth in NCAA Division II in 2005, piling up 497.2 yards a contest after averaging 385.2 yards in 2004.

I ve been fortunate to be around good people and learn different philosophies, said Thomas, who served as a four-year student assistant while earning his undergraduate degree at Texas Tech.

He (Maskill) took a huge risk when he named me offensive coordinator at the age of 25, he said. We were fortunate to win some games and make the playoffs. I wouldn t be where I am today if he wouldn t have taken that chance.

Overall, Thomas offensive schemes resulted in 20,927 yards in 45 games for a 465-yard average and produced the only first-team All American this season in Daniel Polk, who was the lone quarterback in college football to pass for 2,000 yards and rush for 1,000 more.

Thomas, who had spent time as an intern coaching wide receivers with the Baltimore Ravens from 2001-05 and with the Jacksonville Jaguars last season, will begin his duties with the Falcons immediately.

I m anxious to get going and see what it s all about, Thomas said. But Wichita Falls and the Midwestern State community has made this a special home away from home for me.

The search for the next offensive coordinator at Midwestern State is underway.

The most eye-catching note in the article was that Thomas, in his four years, had four of the top six offenses in team history. Sounds like a good, young offensive mind to me, and the type of guy that can move up in the coaching ranks as long as there is some stability in the franchise.

He (Maskill) took a huge risk when he named me offensive coordinator at the age of 25, he said. We were fortunate to win some games and make the playoffs. I wouldn t be where I am today if he wouldn t have taken that chance.

It hurts to think what I was doing at 25 years old. It's pretty impressive that he already had the reins to an NCAA offense.