Was BP� s departure a blessing in disguise?

±0.5

It was probably the timing of the departure that angered most fans but the departure nonetheless was a good thing for the long-term success of the team. Here s why:

Team no longer has to live with Rich McKay s crazy personnel decisions. (I seriously doubt this would have taken pace if BP stays onboard)

Add in a great defensive coordinator in Van Gorder and a well respected OC in Mike Mularkey.

Blank goes from paying a 5-year 25 million dollar contract to a 4-year 10 million dollar contracts for an equally qualified HC in Mike Smith. (Plus the man actually wants the job:))

As it stands right now BP s early departure worked out fairly well. Agree?

i completley agree. i could not be any happier he is gone.

for the record, i was on the petrino bandwagon while he was here, and tried to keep telling everyone to give him time, let him bring in his own players, let the ykw fiasco die down, etc...

You are dead on with his departure infuriated me to the point of hating a man i've never personally met. i lost all my respect i had for him as a coach, man, husband, father, everything. After all of the reports that came out after he left about how he didn't sit in on the offensive film study and gameplanning, called plays they hadn't practiced that week, never even spoke to the defensive players, wouldn't allow speaking on the plane, etc... im glad we only lost one season to him, as opposed to losing 3 or more seasons.

NineOhTheRino (1/31/2008)
It was probably the timing of the departure that angered most fans but the departure nonetheless was a good thing for the long-term success of the team. Here s why:

Team no longer has to live with Rich McKay s crazy personnel decisions. (I seriously doubt this would have taken pace if BP stays onboard)

Add in a great defensive coordinator in Van Gorder and a well respected OC in Mike Mularkey.

Blank goes from paying a 5-year 25 million dollar contract to a 4-year 10 million dollar contracts for an equally qualified HC in Mike Smith. (Plus the man actually wants the job:))

Redundant!!! post!!!....but yes i agree :D

birds_till_death (1/31/2008)
i completley agree. i could not be any happier he is gone.

for the record, i was on the petrino bandwagon while he was here, and tried to keep telling everyone to give him time, let him bring in his own players, let the ykw fiasco die down, etc...

You are dead on with his departure infuriated me to the point of hating a man i've never personally met. i lost all my respect i had for him as a coach, man, husband, father, everything. After all of the reports that came out after he left about how he didn't sit in on the offensive film study and gameplanning, called plays they hadn't practiced that week, never even spoke to the defensive players, wouldn't allow speaking on the plane, etc... im glad we only lost one season to him, as opposed to losing 3 or more seasons.

i was the same as you bro, but then he left. i like Mike Smith better anyways, because atleast he can build us a great D, and i think Mularkey can build a great offense. DJ Shockley succeeded in this offense in college, and i think he can do it now.

No, Bobby Petrino's departure was a blessing in the open.

To use an analogy: during a political campaign, some people say they support some fringe candidate because he (or sometimes she) "has some good ideas." My response is "Hitler had some 'good ideas'; Stalin had some 'good ideas'. But they also had a lot of pretty bad ideas. When you choose a candidate, you chose the whole package, not just the 'good ideas.'"

After the widely perceived indiscipline of the Mora regime, many openly called for a coach who was "tough", a "disciplinarian" and (figuratively speaking) wore a helmet with a spike on top. Judging from the facade, Bobby Petrino fit the bill. But as subsequent events all too clearly revealed, Petrino also had some traits that, in retrospect, made his behavior in the ATL while he was here and his ensuing getaway to Arkansas predictable.

It now seems clear Petrino's sudden exodus did the Atlanta Falcons a favor. Bobby was the wrong type person to be an NFL head coach, and perhaps he realized that fairly early in the job - Vick's departure or not. Not to let Petrino off the hook - what he did and how he did it was completely self-seeking and classless. Nevertheless, Bobby's leaving was, in the end, the right thing for the Falcons.

To take it a step beyond, 2007 was a blessing in disguise.

1. MV7 while unfortunate as a human, was a blessing because we tried to build around a person. No team has won a super bowl building around one person. Don't get me wrong, he was/is a phoenominal athlete but as long as he was here, we would have continued to stand around and watch "the athlete". His loss also exposed just how pathetic our offense is and how suspect our defense is when they are challenged.

2. I attended the Carolina game, and while not a pro coach, I could predict BP had no control of this team. Also, I could sense from several other games, he seemed overwhelmed. Even in the weekly press conferences he looked "lost" and started giving textbook answers.

The two teams in the super bowl got their because they became a team of one not a one man team. Randy Moss runs circles around every other WR in the league. He went to Oakland and found out quickly, he was nothing without any help. Coughlin went to the Giants trying to do things "his" way. Didn't work either. Not until he came off his throne did the Giants begin winning.

Ken Radcliff (1/31/2008)
Was BP s departure a blessing in disguise?

Blessing....... yes. Disguise............no.

No, Bobby Petrino's departure was a blessing in the open.

My thoughts exactly. Leaving with games remaining was a selfish, irresponsible act. But he needed to go. He was killing the team. The way he left messed up a lot of people's careers and even personal lives. Now the team is starting over at ground zero once again. But considering the alternative, it's the best scenario for the team and the fans following 2007- the Year of the Quitter.

Don't know how disguised this blessing was, but I'm glad it finally happened so that we could move on and start building a competitive team.

It is said that you need to hit rock bottom before you can seriously begin a recovery, and the Falcons certainly hit bottom in the 2007 season. BP was one of many reasons we hit the bottom; however, he is gone and we're beginning to take the steps to become better.

We have a new GM in TD, who has solid experience with a winning franchise in finding talent, and a new coach in MS who has tons of NFL experience and no ego problems. Looks like the rest of the coaching staff will be solid, experienced and communicative without ego's getting in the way. I like what I've seen from Flowery Branch so far.

Let the recovery (and success on the field) begin!

Go Falcons!:D

NineOhTheRino (1/31/2008)

many of the loyal falcon fans believed that BP would right the ship because of their faith in the team,owner,and gm, or maybe it was extreme hope. Im glad he left the ship. And im not too keen on the replacement, i'll just have to wait and see. i dont expect a winning season in 2 or 3 yrs regardless