SINCE WE ARE GOING TO PLAY COVER 2 under Mike Smith

jonahfalcon

Petrino is NOT my hero (1/30/2008)
Mike Smith did say that J Dub would be a corner back in the cover 2 system... that they will get him space to play the ball and make some hits

Thanks ... good to know I was on the right track.

When did he say that though???

I thought he was refraining from commenting on our players for the time-being.

jonahfalcon (1/30/2008)
cblack (1/30/2008)
where did you read that we were going to cover 2?

All football teams play some Cover 2 .... just a question of degrees. The Jaguars played a lot of cover two.

With Houston and Hall it will likely be the "man under" variation a good amount of the time.

We didn't play cover 2 last year, not to mention we don't have a safety let alone 2 to play that man under as you say.

cblack (1/30/2008)

We didn't play cover 2 last year, not to mention we don't have a safety let alone 2 to play that man under as you say.

We have the corners to play "man under" ... which was my point.

Though we did not generate a good enough pass rush with our front four last year to allow Zimmer to play much cover 2 ... he does have a variation in his package.

Mora ... who drafted Jimmy Williams ... played considerable cover 2.

"Every defensive football team in the country has some variation of Cover 2 in their defensive package." - Bob Davie, ESPN

nice try;)

He also said we would play to our talent, we don't have a team for a 4-3. We have two cover CBs. Milloy was a good safety last year, Crocker and JW are always out of place. Boley is our only solid LB that could play a Cover 2(he could play anything). Brooking isn't an MLB and doesn't have the speed to play in that scheme anyways. DMO is barely start material, constantly out of place and missing tackles. Our line isn't as dominant as a Cover 2 scheme needs anyways, we need to solidify our interior linemen position and have enough depth to always keep fresh players on the Dline.

The Falcon Ace (1/30/2008)
He also said we would play to our talent, we don't have a team for a 4-3. We have two cover CBs. Milloy was a good safety last year, Crocker and JW are always out of place. Boley is our only solid LB that could play a Cover 2(he could play anything). Brooking isn't an MLB and doesn't have the speed to play in that scheme anyways. DMO is barely start material, constantly out of place and missing tackles. Our line isn't as dominant as a Cover 2 scheme needs anyways, we need to solidify our interior linemen position and have enough depth to always keep fresh players on the Dline.

I am sure we will play to our strength - whatever that ends up being.

Just I think Mike Smith coming to town may be good, or at least better news for J Williams.

BTW - it is Brooking's lack of power, not his speed, that makes the WLB a better fit for him.

if that was true....we will still run the zone blocking scheme......come on now....coaches just say that....we will be a cover 2 defense

Petrino is NOT my hero (1/30/2008)
Mike Smith did say that J Dub would be a corner back in the cover 2 system... that they will get him space to play the ball and make some hits

I haven't heard Smith the Coach comment on personnel. Was

that Smith your friend or where did you come up with j. williams

even being on the radar screen of next year's Atlanta Falcons.

Here we go again.... The cover 2 that keeps being refered to is more accurately known as Tampa 2. The Falcons have NEVER ran this.

Generally Cover 2 is a coverage scheme-all teams will run this from time to time.

Tampa 2/Cover 2 is a defensive philosphy/coverage/ and scheme. Teams that run this scheme run the base cover 2 set often - but there are some differences... such as the MLB is VERY important as he has to drop back into deep coverage a lot. Jax, Bears, Tampa and Indy are the main ones that run it - all with their own changes.

I like Jax version - they like HUGE d-line - and obviously have a good safety.

Tampa uses smaller/faster d-line - same as Indy. I don't care as much for that.

Jim Caldwell (1/30/2008)
Here we go again.... The cover 2 that keeps being refered to is more accurately known as Tampa 2. The Falcons have NEVER ran this.

Generally Cover 2 is a coverage scheme-all teams will run this from time to time.

Tampa 2/Cover 2 is a defensive philosphy/coverage/ and scheme. Teams that run this scheme run the base cover 2 set often - but there are some differences... such as the MLB is VERY important as he has to drop back into deep coverage a lot. Jax, Bears, Tampa and Indy are the main ones that run it - all with their own changes.

I like Jax version - they like HUGE d-line - and obviously have a good safety.

Tampa uses smaller/faster d-line - same as Indy. I don't care as much for that.

Hence me saying that if peterson would come he would be a welcome addition, then some one bashed me and said that peterson was not as good as brooking :sick:

atljbo (1/30/2008)
if that was true....we will still run the zone blocking scheme......come on now....coaches just say that....we will be a cover 2 defense

We tried to run a power blocking scheme last year, and look where that got us with the running game.

We have the set up for an aggressive man to man defense. Zimmer was a perfect fit for us. A pure Tampa 2 would put us bottom of the league instantly on defense. Brooking doesn't have speed either.

We have the set up for an aggressive man to man defense. Zimmer was a perfect fit for us. A pure Tampa 2 would put us bottom of the league instantly on defense. Brooking doesn't have speed either.

What are you talking about? We are totally set up for the tampa two. All we need is an athletic MLB and another DT who can come in and start eventually when Coleman gets hurt next year. Us moving the the Tampa Two under Smith makes Ellis in the first round a great pick. I don't really see any good fits at MLB this year in the second so our two picks in that round are great for picking a QB (Henne, Flacco, Woodsen), and a LT (Otah, Cherilus, Collins). Then in the third we could pick Vince Hall (who would be PERFECT for the Tampa Two), or someone like Beau Bell.

Just to clear a few things up.. first of all. Smith never said we were going to play Cover 2. He didn't whoever claims that is just.. well.. trying to stirr up some emotions.

He did however say that we would play to our strenghts, which the cover 2 just wouldnt be. We have 2 very fast corners, that excel on man-to-man coverage. In the cover 2 you generally tend to have slower zone corners, that tackle well. Now, D-Hall and Houston might tackle alright, but their speed would be wasted.

Furthermore, Jacksonville actually didn't really play Cover 2 or Tampa 2 either. They also have fast Corners in Mathis for instance. So we actually might see a simlair defense to the one in Jacksonville (i'm assuming with some help at DT and LB), but it won't be a strict cover 2 Defense.

Oh, yeah.. also the Safeties are supposed to be covering a lot of ground in the cover 2, so they oughta be fast and good pass defenders. Again TOTALLY contrary to all of our 3 potential starters!

falconfanjason (1/31/2008)
You guys can talk about schemes all you want.

The Falcons can't consistently create pressure with their front four.

They still struggle stopping the run and give up big yardage.

We have a rookie corner that can be exploited (though I think he'll be better next season).

We need to find a way to generate more turnovers.

Of course, after the draft and free agency, that picture could look entirely different.

Honestly, we have no idea what scheme we'll run because our coaches haven't even finished evaluating our personnel. We probably won't know until after the draft when we can see what kind of players we'll have acquired.

Direwolf

falconfanjason (1/31/2008)
You guys can talk about schemes all you want.

The Falcons can't consistently create pressure with their front four.

They still struggle stopping the run and give up big yardage.

We have a rookie corner that can be exploited (though I think he'll be better next season).

We need to find a way to generate more turnovers.

I am not as worried as you are. Your statement assumes DE Anderso has already peaked, that Rod Coleman will never recover from his quad injury complications and basically ignores the fact out DL was plagued with injuries and problems all season long. Abraham is off the charts awesome and will be back.

Here's how I see it: Abraham will be back. We are going to draft or pick up in FA a monster run stuffing DT, I have no doubt. Trey Lewis will be back and was staring to play very good football just before his injury. Coleman will most likely be backat full strength. Anderson played the run well and needs to work on his pass rushing moves and will most likely make a big leap from year one to year two as many rookie DL's do.

Our DL is going to be a strength on this team next year IMO and will be able to put pressure on the QB and stop the run. It simply needs tweaking and some injured players back on the field, it does not need a complete overhaul.

I anticipate our CB's to be a strength......Chris Houston is going to be a great cover CB, he just nees to work on his technique. He was frequently in great position and frequently riding on the WR's back pocket on pklays he got beat on, he just didn't have good ball skills while it was in the air. The problems he had are largley correctable, conversely you can't teach a CB to play on the hip of a WR, that takes God given talent to do.

The coverage of our safeties is my concern....we need a freakin FS that is a playmaking ball hawk. Can Smith resurrect the career of Jimmy Williams? One can only hope.

How dont we have the personel to run a 4-3? that is what we run. now how we scheme our DBs, LBs and DLs is a different story. We have already been told he must evaluate the players to determine that. So we should jump the gun on who works where and try to plug square pegs in round holes. Same with Mularkey. He is taking the same approach.

btw......

Trey Lewis was playing better football last season just before his injury than many high 1st round DT's have played in their rookie campaigns. I was very surprised at how he was able to step right in and play at a high level against seasoned NFL OL after coming out of a tiny Division II school. Many top college DT's struggle bigtime against seasoned NFL OL their rookie seasons, many get tossed around and abused their first year.....not Lewis he is a player that will only get better.

Based on what I was seeing last year, I consider Trey Lewis a promising NFL DT.

Of course,we all have to pray he does not suffer complications from his knee injury this year.

gazoo (1/31/2008)
btw......

Trey Lewis was playing better football last season just before his injury than many high 1st round DT's have played in their rookie campaigns. I was very surprised at how he was able to step right in and play at a high level against seasoned NFL OL after coming out of a tiny Division II school. Many top college DT's struggle bigtime against seasoned NFL OL their rookie seasons, many get tossed around and abused their first year.....not Lewis he is a player that will only get better.

Based on what I was seeing last year, I consider Trey Lewis a promising NFL DT.

Of course,we all have to pray he does not suffer complications from his knee injury this year.

Good point. i think one thing we have all be overlooking is the fact that our starting DTs had season ending injuries. This isnt madden. they are not guaranteed to come back or come back as good. Also Lewis had a knee injury. As a big man, that could be a career. who knows? We have to wait for some thing to play out before we start the wish wagon.