New TE coach and Assist. OL coach hired today

Statick

I wonder what Coach Smitty is looking for? Or has in mind?

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons today named Chris Scelfo the team s new tight ends coach and Paul Dunn the assistant offensive line coach.

Scelfo joins the Falcons after serving as the head coach of the Tulane Green Wave from 1998-2006. During that time frame, he guided Tulane to 37 victories while becoming the first head coach to win two bowl games during his tenure after claiming victories in the 1998 Liberty Bowl and 2002 Hawaii Bowl. Scelfo also sent 10 of his players to the NFL, which includes first-round draft choices, quarterbacks Patrick Ramsey and J.P. Losman.

Prior to his stint at Tulane, Scelfo was the assistant head coach/offensive line coach for the Georgia Bulldogs from 1996-1998. Georgia compiled a 23-11 record during his three seasons, including a 10-2 mark in 1997. Scelfo coached three offensive linemen draft picks in Matt Stinchcomb, Adam Meadows and Chris Terry while UGA made an Outback Bowl appearance in 1997 and earned a Peach Bowl berth in 1998.

Scelfo was at Marshall University from 1990-1995 and served as an offensive line coach (1990-1992) and offensive coordinator (1993-1995). The Thundering Herd won the 1992 I-AA National Championship and led their conference in scoring offense for three years while Scelfo was the offensive coordinator. The Louisiana native earned his coaching start as a graduate assistant at Northeast Louisiana from 1986-1987 and served in the same role at Oklahoma from 1988-1989.

Dunn comes to the Falcons after serving at the offensive line coach (2005-2007) for the Pittsburgh Panthers, his alma mater. Last season, Pitt s offensive line paved the way for running back LeSean McCoy who rushed for 1,328 yards and 14 touchdowns. The line also blocked for quarterback Pat Bostick who completed 155 of 252 passes for 1,500 yards and eight touchdowns.

Before returning to Pittsburgh, Dunn was the running game coordinator and offensive line coach for the Kentucky Wildcats from 2003-2004. During the 2003 season, Kentucky produced 24 rushing touchdowns, the third highest total in school history.

Dunn has also registered coaching stints at Kansas State (running game coordinator and offensive line coach, 1998-2002), Vanderbilt (offensive line coach, 1996-1997), Cincinnati (offensive line coach, 1994-1995), Maine (offensive line coach, 1990-1993), Rutgers (offensive line coach, 1989) and Edinboro (offensive line, 1986-1988). He earned his coaching start at Pittsburgh as a graduate assistant in 1983, prior to joining the Penn State Nittany Lions as a graduate assistant under head coach Joe Paterno (1984-1985).

Current Falcons coaching staff to date: Mike Smith (Head Coach), Emmitt Thomas (Assistant Head Coach), Mike Mularkey (Offensive Coordinator), Brian VanGorder (Defensive Coordinator), Keith Armstrong (Special Teams Coordinator), Gerald Brown (Running Backs Coach), Dunn (Assistant Offensive Line Coach), Jeff Fish (Strength and Conditioning Coach), Ray Hamilton (Defensive Line Coach), Bill Hughan (Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach), Tom McMahon (Assistant Special Teams Coach), Bill Musgrave (Quarterbacks Coach), Terry Robiskie (Wide Receivers Coach), Chris Scelfo (Tight Ends Coach), Glenn Thomas (Offensive Quality Control Coach).

falconsstomp (1/30/2008)
what i want to know is what is up with all the college coaches being hired? i have nothing against them but dang, petrino left a sour taste in my mouth about hiring college coaches.

Just be happy that all the coaches that Petrino hired are gone.

They had NFL experience and we still sucked.

falconsstomp (1/30/2008)
what i want to know is what is up with all the college coaches being hired? i have nothing against them but dang, petrino left a sour taste in my mouth about hiring college coaches.

Chris Scelfo is a very classy coach. Remember that Tulane, after Katrina, had to play all 11 games on the road. He kept that team together and fighting, even as many of their families and homes had been destroyed in the terrible flooding. Even though the university closed for the semester, the football team kept playing, as it was the only thing that many of them had left. Though he was fired the next season for having a loosing record, the job that he did in keeping the team together was truly remarkable.

The only thing similar between Petrino and Scelfo is the fact that they are both college head coaches.

BlacksburgHokie (1/30/2008)
falconsstomp (1/30/2008)

Chris Scelfo is a very classy coach. Remember that Tulane, after Katrina, had to play all 11 games on the road. He kept that team together and fighting, even as many of their families and homes had been destroyed in the terrible flooding. Even though the university closed for the semester, the football team kept playing, as it was the only thing that many of them had left. Though he was fired the next season for having a loosing record, the job that he did in keeping the team together was truly remarkable.

The only thing similar between Petrino and Scelfo is the fact that they are both college head coaches.

oh yea, i do remember the story about tulane having to play 11 games on the road. sounds like he is a good man for not bolting from tulane after hurricane katrina came through.

BlacksburgHokie (1/30/2008)
falconsstomp (1/30/2008)

Also remember these guys are coming in as position coaches, not head coaches. They do not have to lead all 53, just 3-10.

falconsstomp (1/30/2008)

I know, but Petrino was a gutless rodent with ZERO character. Nothing to do with being a college or NFL coach. Not to worry.

boss hogg (1/30/2008)
grendel (1/30/2008)
Here comes Matt Forte, RB Tulane !!

I was thinking the same thing! I sure hope so!

Name: Matt Forte'

College: Tulane Number: 25

Height: 6-1 Weight: 221

Position: RB Pos2: FB

Class/Draft Year: Sr/2008

40 Time: 4.56 40 Low: 4.45 40 High: 4.65

Projected Round: 3-4

01/28/08 - The 6-foot-1, 221-pound bruiser is viewed as a scaled- back version of Lewis with speed, but still offering the same type of rugged running style. Forte is a big, strong back with powerful leg drive to move the pile and quick feet. Very nimble for a guy his size. He has deceptive speed and good peripheral vision to make cutback runs. He's a very decisive runner who doesn't shy away from contact and is a good receiver out of the backfield. One Browns scout said after practice that Forte is almost a carbon copy of Lewis in terms of size and ability. He said Forte is a very intriguing prospect and definitely is one to watch throughout the draft process. The Browns met with the running back twice in Mobile. Whether the Browns sign Lewis or not they have a need for running back and Forte could be the heir apparent. - Carlos "Big C" Holmes, Dayton Daily News

falconsstomp (1/30/2008)

All these college coaches? There are 3 coaches straight out of the college ranks on staff right now...3 out of 15. Not every NFL coach was a former player and started his coaching career in the NFL. Chris Scelfo was head coach at Tulane for 8 years. Don't you think that guy has a clue about coaching football? I do. Paul Dunn, the new assistant o-line coach, has coached o-line for 20 years now. I've played college football and I know how hard those coaches work. Anyone that has been coaching as long as those guys gets my respect. To me, Smith has a very nice mix of coaches that have prior head coaching (NFL or college), coordinator experience, or long time college coaching experience.

The Cush (1/30/2008)
Paul Dunn was fired by Wannstedt because of inconsistent line play. i did a bit of research last night on possible O-Line coaches. But he's not a bad hire as an assistant offensive lineman. Plus he has a heads up on Jeff Otah and Mike McGlynn, two very good linemen that he coached.

Once again...great info Cush.