STOP DOWNING ON MATT RYAN!!!!

TGeezy

Seriously, an article in the ajc had a bunch of experts saying that the Falcons NEED to take Ryan. They all pretty much said he is the most "NFL-Ready" QB in the draft. The Falcons need him we don't have time to wait for the development of a second or third round QB or wait 'til next years draft. Let's just hope for the best!

TGeezy (1/30/2008)
Seriously, an article in the ajc had a bunch of experts saying that the Falcons NEED to take Ryan. They all pretty much said he is the most "NFL-Ready" QB in the draft. The Falcons need him we don't have time to wait for the development of a second or third round QB or wait 'til next years draft. Let's just hope for the best!

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which one fills up first.

Matt Ryan is garbage. There is absolutely ZERO validity for his stock being as high as it is.

QB with completely pedestrian numbers that was hyped out of nowhere.

Take Andre Woodson for instance. Why was he hyped going into the season? Because the guy took the SEC by storm leading the SEC in passing yards and a stellar TD/INT ratio. Arguably had just as good a season as the guy who went #1 overall in the draft.

Matt Ryan? 15 TDs and 10 INTs. Whoopty freaking doo! Yet he goes into the season with all this hype and same old same old average numbers and he ends up with even more hype.

Yet the justification of it is he has "intangibles"

Almost like the government using the words "national security" to justify anything, the way they throw the words "intangibles" around it justifies all of Matt Ryan's shortcomings.

TGeezy (1/30/2008)

The writers as a whole are just like the casual fan and the "have to have it now" generation. They do not have the patience to wait on the correct and natural progression of building a team correctly. The fans and writers in general have an overblown concept of the running back and qb carrying the the other 20 starting players and have little clues as to who the offensive linemen are or what their function is in making the "stars" look like stars. If Mr. Blank succumbs to the pressure we will be like the original team when they drafted Randy Johnson to be the most battered qb in league history to that point. Don't take us back to the 1960's Arthur.

TGeezy (1/30/2008)

TGeezy,

its not so much that "the board" hates Matt Ryan - its just that most of us feel Matt Ryan is not worth a "top 5" or a "top 10" pick in this 2008 NFL draft. This is a very good draft and there is so much talent - "the board" does not want the Falcons to "reach" for their biggest need when the talent gap between Matt Ryan and the likes of a "Chad Henne", a "Brian Brohm and a "Joe Flacco" will be available with Falcons first 2nd round pick.

If Falcons draft position was around #20-#30 overall, I would be much more inclined to just say "grab Ryan" and I am sure other might be more favorably inclined as well.

However, speaking just for myself - No way is Matt Ryan worthy of Falcons 1st round pick.

busboyisback (1/30/2008)

Matt Ryan is garbage. There is absolutely ZERO validity for his stock being as high as it is.

QB with completely pedestrian numbers that was hyped out of nowhere.

I think Ryan (or his agent) figures this as well, which would explain why he didn't play in the Senior Bowl, regardless of what excuse he gave for not playing in that game.

I guess they figure why spoil the fantasy? Let a team pay to find out if he's NFL material or not.

I'm guessing half of you guys are going based on Matt Ryans stats. 1/3 of you guys are going off maybe 1 or 2 games that you seen him play in. I am a Virginia Tech fan. I have watched Matt Ryan in about 5-7 games per year and I hate him to be honest with you along with Boston College. He is a **** good QB regardless of what his numbers say. I guarantee you that he will be at least a top 10 QB in this league before his career is over. That being said I hope we go a different route and don't go with QB in the first round.

g-dawg (1/30/2008)
TGeezy (1/30/2008)

TGeezy,

its not so much that "the board" hates Matt Ryan - its just that most of us feel Matt Ryan is not worth a "top 5" or a "top 10" pick in this 2008 NFL draft. This is a very good draft and there is so much talent - "the board" does not want the Falcons to "reach" for their biggest need when the talent gap between Matt Ryan and the likes of a "Chad Henne", a "Brian Brohm and a "Joe Flacco" will be available with Falcons first 2nd round pick.

If Falcons draft position was around #20-#30 overall, I would be much more inclined to just say "grab Ryan" and I am sure other might be more favorably inclined as well.

However, speaking just for myself - No way is Matt Ryan worthy of Falcons 1st round pick.

Brohm in the 2nd?Ill be shocked if he doesnt go in the top 10.Henne?Did he have 3 good game this year?Hes not bad but he could be gone in the late 1st.Flacco has never played under center.Hes a east coast run and shoot qb.I would rather have brohm than ryan but the rest of the qbs are going a good bit later for a reason.

TGeezy (1/30/2008)

Oh....so if ajc and nfl experts say it...it MUST BE TRUE....stfu.....Matt Ryan played for the weak BC and weak division....15td and 10 int is terrible for a college passer....come on....Tim Tebow had more passing tds...and the man broke a college record for rushing tds as well...i dont think matt ryan is the answer

grendel (1/30/2008)
I'm not sure how you can say that after your team made him look like garbage for 58 minutes in the first game... If you guys hadn't called off the dogs and given him literally 30-45 seconds to wait for receivers to come open, you would have won that game easily. Even the throw he did make, back across the field in a big rainbow, was a bad decision that would have been picked in the NFL.

Matt Ryan plays stupid. He has the physical tools to be a good QB, but he lacks the decision making skills and mental toughness to get it done.

The way we were pressuring him Peyton Manning wouldn't have won that game for them.

paulitik (1/30/2008)
Are we switching to a 3-4? Ellis is a 3-4 NT, Dorsey is more of the 4-3 type. I think he'd fit better.

It's called versatility. A team would be doing a great injustice by having Ellis play the NT in the 34. Place him in the 43 and let him clog up the running lanes and pressure the QB.

Greetings everyone!

I cannot see us taking Matt Ryan in the upcoming draft.We have more pressing matters and Matt Ryan is'nt one of them!I'm hoping we'll take Sedrick Ellis cos after his performance in the Senior Bowl his stock will risen.A fact which would not have gone unnoticed by other NFL teams!So here's hoping Sedrick becomes a "Bird of Prey!"

"Forte et fideli nihile difficile"

jbresette (1/30/2008)
Like I said you guys are just looking at stats. Did you actually watch the Army game?

Well over half of Boston College's games were televised this year when Matt Ryan supposedly rose his stock to a top 5 pick.

I must have been watching the wrong games.

The ones I saw the guy was throwing the ball into double and triple coverage making terrible decisions like his stats suggest.

TGeezy (1/30/2008)

Look I'd prefer not to do the Matt Ryan thing but where in the world do you come up with "we don't have time to wait for the development"? I think the one thing we do have is time for development. I didnt know we were one step away...

Matt Ryan, afriad to go to the Senior Bowl

Matt Ryan, hasn't proved ANYTHING.

Matt Ryan, nothing special and hasn't proved a damned thing.

We draft Matt Ryan, look for the stands to be empty because the die-hard fans on this board know what it takes to succeed and taking flashy players SHOULD be the way of the past. When Matt Ryan proves something, then make up stupid threads, until then STFU.

dchi194 (1/30/2008)

Look I'd prefer not to do the Matt Ryan thing but where in the world do you come up with "we don't have time to wait for the development"? I think the one thing we do have is time for development. I didnt know we were one step away...

We certainly have time which is why it makes sense for us to draft a QB in this year's draft.

But what doesn't make sense is drafting one with the least likelihood of living up to the billing in Matt Ryan.

He's a 2nd day pick getting top 5 overall hype. It's a joke.