D-hall and the cap

nativefalcon

First off, I think D-hall is great, but with the cap one because we haven't heard if Vick is going to pay that money back, and we have to sign, Boley, all the Draft picks possibly a no.1 and any FAs we need. That D-hall wants a new contract and go to a team which is competitive. With us getting Smith from the jagz might settle him on the defense and being competitve. My question is, if we don't resign him this year, next year he will be a UFA. Would we able to THEN to resign him to a long term contract Cap wise? Any body know the cap numbers for next year? ;)

No matter what the cap situation will be next year, it would be much better to get it done this season, so we don't end up in a bidding war with another team once he's a UFA. It would crush me if we let him hit the open market and we end up being out bid by Carolina, Tampa, or the Saints.

nativefalcon (1/30/2008)
My question is, if we don't resign him this year, next year he will be a UFA. Would we able to THEN to resign him to a long term contract Cap wise? Any body know the cap numbers for next year? ;)

We "could" certainly do that, but it would put us in a very difficult decision - our backs would be against the wall, so to speak. If he doesn't accept our offer, he is free to go wherever he wants, and we get nothing in return. At least if we offer him an extension this season and he doesn't sign it, we would have an opportunity to trade him to another team and get some value back. Also, by most accounts this was a down year for Hall; we should move now while his stock is slightly down so we can get a better deal. If he comes back next season and puts up all-pro numbers, it will be all that more expensive to keep him around. Even if he performs poorly next season, he's still very young and already has almost 3 full years of starts under his belt.

Plus, it looks like we're going to have a fair amount of cap room this season. It would make sense to sign him to a contract extension similar to Clements (6 years, 44 million dollars), and put alot of that money up front in a roster bonus and an option bonus. If he wanted to be paid 100 million dollars, we could always stick 56 million dollars and 4 more years on to the contract, but conveniently make them automatically void when the option bonus is paid in the second season (much like what Clements did in his contract).

Jim Caldwell (1/30/2008)
Either resign him now to a reasonable deal - I think 6 years 44 million is fair.... OR trade him now to get something from him and dictate which team he goes to. It would suck to see him to UFA and sign with the Panthers or Saints next year!

remember last season.... nate clements.. he got what 80 mill? DHall wont take less then that (average = 10 mill) so maybe a 6 year 62 mill w/ 20 guarenteed

Jim Caldwell (1/30/2008)
Either resign him now to a reasonable deal - I think 6 years 44 million is fair.... OR trade him now to get something from him and dictate which team he goes to. It would suck to see him to UFA and sign with the Panthers or Saints next year!

trading him would be a last resort for me. i definitely would not want to trade a player w/ that much upside. i would probably tag him if i HAD to and i would try and get a long term deal worked out. 7-10 years.

I don't even worry about that. I doubt that Dunn and his salary will be here next year. I would not be suprised if Brooking is gone too. Those are 2 big salaries off the books. No reason why we can't sign Hall. Plus we were not up against the cap this year. I don't really expect us to sign a big name free agent that was not already on the team in 2007.

The Falcon Ace (1/30/2008)
BlacksburgHokie (1/30/2008)
Also, by most accounts this was a down year for Hall

2006 was his down year, this year was easily his best year so far. The fact that Al Harris got to the Pro-Bowl instead of him sickens me.

yea d.hall had a career high in tackles and he had 5 or 6 picks i think.

nativefalcon (1/30/2008)
First off, I think D-hall is great, but with the cap one because we haven't heard if Vick is going to pay that money back, and we have to sign, Boley, all the Draft picks possibly a no.1 and any FAs we need. That D-hall wants a new contract and go to a team which is competitive. With us getting Smith from the jagz might settle him on the defense and being competitve. My question is, if we don't resign him this year, next year he will be a UFA. Would we able to THEN to resign him to a long term contract Cap wise? Any body know the cap numbers for next year? ;)

Hall shouldn't worry about the cap as much as he needs to worry about the state of his "head".

DHall's worst enemy is what's under his cap.

michaelgee (1/30/2008)
Art Vandalay (1/30/2008)
Has anybody heard him say anything about Coach Smith? If he likes him then he's more likely to stay.

Yeah, I can't wait to see him shoot his mouth off at our new D Coordinator, much less when he goes off on Smitty.

Hey Homey, BVG don't play that game!

Your are a falcon fan right!!!! :unsure:

Why can you not wait to see divisiveness on our team :ermm:

georgiafan34 (1/30/2008)
couldnt we just franchise tag him?

Yaa we could franchise tag his azz, you know how players love that. :P I hope they do resign him but at the same time, I don't want them to pay it out for one player. I know they can backload the contract. You gotta remember we have a GM that came from a organization that everybody plays a role, and team means everything. The ME stuff would have to go, it doesn't fly on the patriots unless your brady. Look at their casualties of it, Branch, Vinateri, Mcginnis, Milloy, and possibly samuels this year, either your getting too old, or your wanting too much money. And the pats just drop you. And Dmitroff might be just like that. ;)