Somecut8's Mock Draft

somecut8

Long read guys, and need opinions too. What do you guys think?

DRAFT

- - -

Compensatory Picks

-3rd for Patrick Kerney

-6th for Justin Griffith

Trade Picks

-7th for Allen Rossum

-1st round pick 12 (from Broncos in my mock draft)

-2nd round pick 12 (from Broncos in my mock draft)

Note: No matter where we draft, either 3rd, 4th, or 5th in the draft, I propose we trade our first round pick down to the Broncos for their first and second round. Not only would this trade work out for both teams, as the Broncos need interior lineman on the defense (they can draft Sedrick Ellis with our pick) and we will get an extra second rounder plus a first rounder that will put us in position to draft Kenny Phillips.

As long as the Saints or Bills don t draft Kenny Phillips, with the Saints being the only real threat, we are in good shape to draft him.

Somecut8 s Mock Draft:

-in this draft, we will have the 3rd overall pick in the draft. We will also trade our first pick down to the Broncos for their first and second.

Round 1 Pick 12: Kenny Phillips, S, 6 2 202, Miami

Obviously defense has been the main focal point this off-season for the Falcons. If you look at the top defenses in the league, you will see that they all have a top rated safety. The Steelers have Troy Polamalu, Colts have Bob Sanders, Ravens have Ed Reed, and I can go on and on& What makes a safety so important in a defense is the fact that the safety is probably the most versatile position in the game. The safety is able to cover WR/TEs, provide over the top help for CBs, and act as an extra man in run support. Safeties gel the defense together and really fill in more holes than any other position could. As of now, we don t have that franchise safety that so many teams have. Lawyer Milloy, while good, is getting old. Chris Crocker is only decent, and both Jimmy Williams and Daren Stone both have not proved that they can start yet.

Kenny Phillips is another top notch safety from the Miami lineage following in the footsteps of Ed Reed and Sean Taylor.

Round 2 Pick 3: Gosder Cherilus, OT, 6 7 315, Boston College

Because the OT position is so deep, we can afford to trade down our first pick, and still land a starting OT for our o-line. The best OT that we can probably get with our high second round pick is Gosder Cherilus, who has really shown that he can be an influential starter in the NFL. Cherilus has the size and strength to compete at the next level and neutralize pass rushers. I don t think anybody that follows the Falcons will disagree with a fact that we need an OT, but what we need to figure out is how to get the most bang for our buck. It s not every year that we have a high pick, and with the OT position so deep, an early second rounder for Cherilus would be a steal.

Round 2 Pick 12: Joe Flacco, QB, 6 6 232, Deleware

We also need a player that can potentially be a franchise QB, and this is where Flacco comes in. While he may not the most highly rated QB, he has the tools to be successful in the NFL. He has incredible arm strength, probably the best out of the top QBs, and has the size NFL teams want. Drafting a QB in a second round would be perfect, as if he turns out to be a bust, well, we only wasted a second rounder. When it comes to drafting QBs in the first round, it s really 50/50 when it comes to success or failure. That s just too high of a risk for us, especially when we have so many holes that need to be fixed.

Round 2 Pick 18: Red Bryant, DT, 6 5 324, Texas A&M

Like Mike Smith said, winning the ball game means also winning in the trenches. Last year, I saw our defensive line get repeatedly pushed backward and I constantly witnessed the opposing team s o-line get to our linebackers, thus allowing running backs to knife through our defense. We need a big guy up front, a guy that plays nose tackle, and Red Bryant is that guy. Red Bryant is the best NT in the draft and at 6 5 324, he ll attract numerous double teams, taking on blocks and allowing our linebackers to make the play.

Round 3 Pick 3: Charles Godfrey, CB 6 0 207 Iowa

Every time last year I watched Chris Houston or Lewis Sanders come into the game I cringed. And every time I saw the ball thrown their way, it was an automatic big gain. With D-Hall on one side, we need another guy on the other side that can lock down his man. Now I m not saying that Godfrey will start, because rarely do 3 round CBs instantly start for their team, and I m not saying that Chris Houston can t get better, but frankly, I want Sanders to be shown the door. He s old, and he can t play. Godfrey would be an excellent backup and would probably start at nickel back. He has good size, tackles well, and likes to play physical. Furthermore, he s extremely talented and runs a 4.38 40. Give him a little time to develop, and he ll very likely become a top rated CB in the NFL.

Round 3 Pick 33: Matt Forte, RB, 6 1 221, Tulane

Running backs are also really deep in this year s draft, and this guy has really shown to be a sleeper in the draft. With Dunn getting old, and Norwood not yet showing that he can be an every down back, we need another RB to share the carries. I believe that Forte and Norwood will form an excellent two-back system, with Forte being more of a bruiser and Norwood being the change-of-pacer. Forte is extremely quick for his size, and has been said to be similar to Jamal Lewis big, but deceptively fast. He also makes really nice cuts. I just hope he ll fall this far for us to pick him up. Just check out his highlight reel and see:

Round 4 Pick 3: John Greco, OT, 6 5 318, Toledo

Again, we need to add more depth to our line, and the best OT in the point in the draft would probably be John Greco, if he isn t drafted earlier. Greco is extremely versatile as he can play any position on the line, and has the size and strength to succeed in the NFL. I see him as another Tyson Clabo a good o-lineman that will add depth and potentially start in the future.

Round 5 Pick 3: Darnell Terrell, CB, 6 3 205, Missouri

Darnell Terrell is another good CB, and if we can get him here, he ll be a steal in the draft. Terrell is similar to Godfrey, in that both have great size and athleticism. Not only can Terrell add depth to the CB position, he is also able to play at FS. With a 4.43 40, he d be an excellent back up and outstanding special teams player.

Round 6 Pick 3: Ahtyba Rubin, DT, 6 3 320, Iowa State

The next best NT not including Frank Okam, would be Ahtyba Rubin. Our D-line is constantly riddled with injuries, and we need to add depth to the position. By adding hopefully Albert Haynesworth to the roster through the FA, and drafting Red Bryant, we can effectively have a rotation of our D-line, much like the Eagles. NTs get tired really easily, so by allowing each NT to play 3 snaps or so will not only decrease their chance of injury, but also allow them to play 100% every down. Rubin is a powerful nose tackle, and consistently attracts double teams and holds his ground. He ll be an excellent pick for the 6th round.

Round 6 Pick 33: Ben Moffitt, ILB, 6 2 231, South Florida

With the DT, OL, QB, RB, positions potentially fixed, we should turn our attention to the linebacking core. With Keith Brooking getting old, we need some youngsters that can get in there and play a snap or few. Ben Moffitt will be an excellent special teams player, and with the right development and training, may one day even start. While his athleticism isn t top notch, he gets extremely low in his stance, allowing him to make good form tackles. Moffitt is said to be the biggest loss on defense at USF.

Round 7 Pick 3: Joe Fields, FS, 6 0 205, Syracuse

Again, with Lawyer Milloy getting old, Chris Crocker shown the door, Jimmy Williams still iffy, we need to add a little more depth to the position. Joe Fields would be an excellent draft choice, and a steal at this point. With good size and great speed, 4.49, he s one of the most underrated safeties in the draft. He led Syracuse in tackles and had 4 interceptions. A great pick at this point.

Round 7 Pick 23: David Vobora, OLB, 6 2 220, Idaho

With our final pick, David Vobora would be an excellent pick. He has great speed, excellent field awareness, and good size. Not afraid to stop the run and another great player to add depth to our linebacking core.

Full off-season blueprint to come soon!

I think your picks address needs everywhere. One question though, why does everyone love Flacco? In the D-1 AA championship game he didn't look too good to me against Appy State. He went to Delaware which doesn't play top talent which means he would need extra time to develop. If we don't take a QB with our first pick I would prefer Henne or Ainge over Flacco. just my opinion. Liked the other picks though.

bigstack19 (1/30/2008)
I think your picks address needs everywhere. One question though, why does everyone love Flacco? In the D-1 AA championship game he didn't look too good to me against Appy State. He went to Delaware which doesn't play top talent which means he would need extra time to develop. If we don't take a QB with our first pick I would prefer Henne or Ainge over Flacco. just my opinion. Liked the other picks though.

Well a while back, I asked which 2nd round+ Qb people would like to see, and Flacco's name popped up the most. By no means do I think he the pick we must get, but he does have a strong arm though, which is extremely important.

bigstack19 (1/30/2008)

i agree... for some reason im just not a big fan of flacco... and id much rather pick someone else up..

Not a bad draft at all. I would like to see a kicker in there somewhere. I don't think we need to draft 2 corners though. I'd love to pick up Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie or Justin King, If they fall far enough. I like Flacco, but using this scenario, you could pick up Cromartie or King in the second instead of Flacco, then take a guy like Josh Johnson in the 3rd. Just a thought, it would also free up the other pick that you used on a corner. Either way, I'd be pretty happy.