Inside Info from Draftheadquarters Zobel Blog

67camaro

Interesting news from Draftheadquarters.com....Shawn Zobel writes for Ourlads guide he has an insider that gave him some info chk it out below.Thoughts?

Just talked to one of my guys, here s some inside info:

- With Atlanta hiring a defensive minded coach in Mike Smith, don t be surprised if they look at taking Sedrick Ellis with their 1st Round pick. They are going to take the best player available and would also love to land Darren McFadden. They want to get a quarterback through free agency or through a trade as no one in the front office has the patience to wait for a rookie develop. Don t be surprised if they try to trade DeAngelo Hall for one of the Browns quarterbacks. The Falcons aren t sure yet whether or not they want to trade Hall, but if they do, that s what they ll be aiming for in return.

- The Browns are still trying to work something out with Derek Anderson. Not much news here.

- This one s from me: The Vikings really like Jason Jones, the defensive end from Eastern Michigan. Whether that means they ll pass on a DE in the 1st Round, who knows.

- Don t be surprised if the Dolphins strongly consider Jake Long in the 1st Round. They have an offensive line coach as their head coach and neither of the top defensive lineman seem like a great fit at #1 Overall. Dorsey because he doesn t fit the 3-4 that well and Chris Long because they don t want to pay a 3-4 DE, 1st Overall type of money.

- 60-70% chance that the Cardinals trade Larry Fitzgerald this offseason. Arizona knows that they aren t going to be able to afford him when his contract expires as he could land upwards of $30 Million guaranteed.

I don't believe this for a second.

How could no one in the FO have ""not have the patience to let a rookie QB develop"? Sounds like this guy is just pulling stuff out of his butt. And if Dimitroff is the "QB snob" that he says he is, he knows that the FA market for QB's is the worst in recent memory.

I don't believe this at all. I think Dimitroff is gonna draft a QB. And if he wants to trade for Quinn, you might as well draft a QB b/c Quinn has no NFL experience either.

Matthew Pritts (1/29/2008)
grendel (1/29/2008)
DHall for Anderson / Quinn would be a good deal for both teams, I think... or maybe just us, but I don't care about the Browns, so...

No thanks. We'd have to probably give up a 1st and a 3rd, absoutely too much.

No thanks. Don't wanna give up our best defensive player(along w/Boley) for an unproven QB in QUinn(might as well draft a QB if you're bringing him in) or for a 1-yr.wonder in Anderson.

I'm not buying.

scott24falcs (1/29/2008)
****, it won't happen, but I'd happily trade DHall for Brady Quinn.
If you're gonna bring in Quinn, you might as well draft a QB b/c they're both unproven.

True, but Quinn has been sitting and learning for a year. The argument could also be made that Quinn is a better prospect than any of the potential QBs this year. I don't know how they all stack up though. I wasn't necessarily a huge Quinn fan last year.

scott24falcs (1/29/2008)
scott24falcs (1/29/2008)
****, it won't happen, but I'd happily trade DHall for Brady Quinn.
If you're gonna bring in Quinn, you might as well draft a QB b/c they're both unproven.

True, but Quinn has been sitting and learning for a year. The argument could also be made that Quinn is a better prospect than any of the potential QBs this year. I don't know how they all stack up though. I wasn't necessarily a huge Quinn fan last year.

That's true, but it'd be an entirely different offense here then it was in Cleveland. So he'd basically be a rookie again.

Consider me not impressed. I think this is all a bunch of smoke anyway about the FO not being "patient" enough to wait on a QB to develop.

I would trade Hall for Quinn or Anderson before I would use a first on Matt Ryan.

Hall has one year left. If contract negotiations arent going very well, move him while we can. I worry Hall could be a Kobe like guy, and start pouting about a trade every time he isnt happy.

If we go to a cover 2 we can easily replace Hall with a FA cornerback, or one in the draft. Heck Irons and Houston both fit the mold for a cover 2 CB, even though Houston is more familiar with man.

1989fan (1/29/2008)
I would trade Hall for Quinn or Anderson before I would use a first on Matt Ryan.

Hall has one year left. If contract negotiations arent going very well, move him while we can. I worry Hall could be a Kobe like guy, and start pouting about a trade every time he isnt happy.

If we go to a cover 2 we can easily replace Hall with a FA cornerback, or one in the draft. Heck Irons and Houston both fit the mold for a cover 2 CB, even though Houston is more familiar with man.

True. If we were to trade Hall, an excellent replacement guy for the Cover 2 would be Chevis Jackson, LSU. He would be perfect. I'm not sure what round he's projected to go in. If I had to guess, I'd say 2nd or 3rd?

This is Madden football at it's finest.

The logic here is: If you're gonna get Quinn, you might as well draft a QB b/c Quinn is gonna have to learn a new offense just like the rookie QB we bring in.

WE need to draft a QB this year. A franchise like guy like Henne or Flacco. Not a one-year wonder like Anderson, who throws too many INT's for my taste, or for an unproven guy like Quinn.

grendel (1/29/2008)

The logic here is: If you're gonna get Quinn, you might as well draft a QB b/c Quinn is gonna have to learn a new offense just like the rookie QB we bring in.

WE need to draft a QB this year. A franchise like guy like Henne or Flacco. Not a one-year wonder like Anderson, who throws too many INT's for my taste, or for an unproven guy like Quinn.

How are Henne and Flacco franchise guys but Quinn isn't? Quinn had a higher draft rating than Henne or Flacco have, plus he has a year in the NFL learning the speed of the game and learning to read defenses, so how is he worse than Henne or Flacco?

Exactly.

grendel (1/29/2008)

How are Henne and Flacco franchise guys but Quinn isn't? Quinn had a higher draft rating than Henne or Flacco have, plus he has a year in the NFL learning the speed of the game and learning to read defenses, so how is he worse than Henne or Flacco?

All three of them are unproven.

You guys think that you can just trade someone and get something just as good in return. It doesn't work that way. There is a thing called the salary cap to think about if you're wanting to dump Hall.

I just don't get the fascination for dumping your best defensive player(along w/Boley) for an unproven QB when you might as well go ahead and draft someone if you wanna do that.

We'll agree to disagree. Consider me not sold. I just htink this idea is "Maddenesque" in ature.

Slow down guys. This is all based on speculation from an outsider. While the author has used some logic, he has no special access to the FO. His "source" could be some fantasy football nut that loves the Falcons. Why in the world would anyone with any real knowledge, leak info of this nature? Why would anyone tell some guy from Ourlad's.

Drafting Sedrick Ellis is a no brainer. Half this message has called that shot. Trading D Hall has been a topic debated on these boards for weeks. This guy is just another guy.

jidady (1/29/2008)
I would trade Hall for a relatively proven QB. I wouldn't do the Brohm trade but I would deal for Anderson if Cleveland is interested. I also wouldn't mind something like Hall for McNabb and a second rounder from Philly.

This is very interesting. If a deal like that took place, we have our QB for a few more years. We could then stand to wait until a later round and take a project QB: Dixon/Johnson. With one of our 2nd or 3rd round picks, we could get a guy like Chevis Jackson. As I've said, I think he would be an excellent Cover 2 CB. We could potentially have a draft that looks like this:

1. Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

2a. Curtis Lofton, MLB, Oklahoma

2b. Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas

2c. Chevis Jackson, CB, LSU

3a. Brad Cottam, TE, Tennessee

3b. (Kerney) - Matt Forte, RB, Tulane

A draft like that would be amazing. I don't know how I feel about bringing in McNabb, but if he's healthy, he's a great option. If he could give us 3 solid years, he'd be well worth it IMO.

jidady (1/29/2008)
I also wouldn't mind something like Hall for McNabb and a second rounder from Philly.

i have been considering the reality, and maybe necessity, of trading hall lately, and i kind of like this idea you pose. mcnabb would be more than serviceable for 2 years, and we still draft someone (jj) to groom, hopefully by the 3rd round. i would much rather have a rookie learn from mcnabb than any other qb on our roster. plus an added 2nd round pick would be fantastic and worth such a trade.

Yes, to be clear, I'm first in line on the "we're better with Hall than without him" bandwagon. If our hands are tied, however, I don't look at him as a way to bring in a couple of draft picks. I see him as a way to bring in a disgruntled QB from elsewhere that we're confident can play.

scott24falcs (1/29/2008)
jidady (1/29/2008)
I would trade Hall for a relatively proven QB. I wouldn't do the Brohm trade but I would deal for Anderson if Cleveland is interested. I also wouldn't mind something like Hall for McNabb and a second rounder from Philly.

This is very interesting. If a deal like that took place, we have our QB for a few more years. We could then stand to wait until a later round and take a project QB: Dixon/Johnson. With one of our 2nd or 3rd round picks, we could get a guy like Chevis Jackson. As I've said, I think he would be an excellent Cover 2 CB. We could potentially have a draft that looks like this:

1. Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

2a. Curtis Lofton, MLB, Oklahoma

2b. Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas

2c. Chevis Jackson, CB, LSU

3a. JJ

3b. (Kerney) - Matt Forte, RB, Tulane

A draft like that would be amazing. I don't know how I feel about bringing in McNabb, but if he's healthy, he's a great option. If he could give us 3 solid years, he'd be well worth it IMO.

you beat me to it. :)

although i tweaked your draft a touch. ;)

jidady (1/29/2008)
Yes, to be clear, I'm first in line on the "we're better with Hall than without him" bandwagon. If our hands are tied, however, I don't look at him as a way to bring in a couple of draft picks. I see him as a way to bring in a disgruntled QB from elsewhere that we're confident can play.

im finding myself slowly climbing over the fence on hall. between the coach's possible desire to have more traditional cover-2 corners, which are paid less as well, and hall's penchant for feeling disgruntled, i can see hall possibly going to another team. i think the poster who mentioned koby might not be far from the truth. it may not be a bad option to part ways now and get an additional building block for this staff to work with.

Draftnut57 (1/29/2008)
grendel (1/29/2008)
DHall for Anderson / Quinn would be a good deal for both teams, I think... or maybe just us, but I don't care about the Browns, so...

Wow , I would love that move and then we could use all our picks on Linman and such.

i dont know enough about anderson to know if he is worth it, but quinn was knocked for lacking arm strength, and id rather we didnt sign another of those.

I wouldnt trade Hall for Quinn, but i would seriously think about Anderson or jidady's trade of Mcnabb and a 2nd... Quinn is just to risky IMO, i would hate to give up a great CB for a QB that couldnt get it done.

If Hall is to demanding in his contract negotiations, it would tilt me even further to trade him. We, as a franchise need to know he is here for the long run, good or bad and as 89fan said; not another Kobe...